FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Jun 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #571 of 744

Okay, that's good to hear. 

Loving this combo so much with the hd650. @Brooko reviews helped me make the switch, so worth it. 

yeah he's the one who got me convinced about the E17K and K5 combo as well :)  I feel like the E17K doesnt get the attention it deserves, the dac inside is really darn good. Combined with K5, its a damn good desktop combo that can drive most cans, including the likes of HD650 etc. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #572 of 744
Want to meet the FiiO team and get your hand on our latest products? Come here to tell us where we should hold the meet~:)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812230/join-in-the-first-meeting-ever-of-fiio-in-us

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 24, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #573 of 744
I just ordered up the K5 and E17k combo, will be here tomorrow. Hoping to experience a nice upgrade from my SB Omni for my laptop, and my SB E1 for portable sound.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #574 of 744
Did some AB between my K5 and Magni 2 Uber tonight...have to say, the K5 held it's ground surprisingly well.  The Magni did seem to present mids/highs with slightly more body and detail, but the differences were minimal and came at a 30-40% price premium.  If I had to actually pause the music and unplug my headphones when switching amps rather than having a setup which allows me to just flip a switch, I believe it would have been very difficult to tell them apart.  Kudos to the Fiio team...in my opinion, the K5 is a no-brainer for owners of compatible Fiio DAPs and those looking for a simple, clean-sounding budget solid-state.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #575 of 744
Hi a newbie here (and lurker previously)

Would the sound quality of the K5 be better than using an E12 or E12A with an X5ii?

I also have a DK1 that I can use as a dock / line out option.

Merry thanks

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #576 of 744
Hi a newbie here (and lurker previously)

Would the sound quality of the K5 be better than using an E12 or E12A with an X5ii?

I also have a DK1 that I can use as a dock / line out option.

Merry thanks

i can only account for the X5/X7 with E12DIY, and i think that sounds better than the K5.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #578 of 744
While I love the E17K I ordered with it, I'm not the biggest fan of the K5. There was some noticeable static in the mid and high gain settings and the low gain setting didn't drive my JVC HA-SZ2000 that well at all. I took the volume all the way up and it wasn't loud enough. I've already sent the K5 back. I'm keeping the E17k though, far better than my SB E1.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #579 of 744
  While I love the E17K I ordered with it, I'm not the biggest fan of the K5. There was some noticeable static in the mid and high gain settings and the low gain setting didn't drive my JVC HA-SZ2000 that well at all. I took the volume all the way up and it wasn't loud enough. I've already sent the K5 back. I'm keeping the E17k though, far better than my SB E1.

Strange, I never noticed any static or hiss in my unit with any of the 3 gain settings outside of about 90-95% volume on high gain (and even then it was just barely audible with no music playing), far beyond normal listening levels.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #580 of 744

Strange, I never noticed any static or hiss in my unit with any of the 3 gain settings outside of about 90-95% volume on high gain (and even then it was just barely audible with no music playing), far beyond normal listening levels.

Yeah, I figure it was a faulty unit. Because the static was audible at 1/4 volume. And it wasn't coming from the E17K that was docked, because that functioned fine connected to the PC via USB, and connected to my phone. I think I'm just gonna get some Schiit.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #581 of 744
  Yeah, I figure it was a faulty unit. Because the static was audible at 1/4 volume. And it wasn't coming from the E17K that was docked, because that functioned fine connected to the PC via USB, and connected to my phone. I think I'm just gonna get some Schiit.

Indeed.  Have a Magni 2 Uber, solid piece of kit for the price...can't think of anything offhand that I'd change about it.  Never heard the original Magni, word on the street is it was a bit harsh/grainy in the highs.  From what I've heard out of the Magni 2, I'd say that's no longer an issue.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #582 of 744

Indeed.  Have a Magni 2 Uber, solid piece of kit for the price...can't think of anything offhand that I'd change about it.  Never heard the original Magni, word on the street is it was a bit harsh/grainy in the highs.  From what I've heard out of the Magni 2, I'd say that's no longer an issue.

Yup, that's the one I was looking at. A Magni 2 Uber/ Modi 2 Uber stack. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #583 of 744
Has anyone connected an iBasso DX80 to the K5 (heresy, I know!)? I grabbed the DX80 because it also does Android OTG, which the Fiio X5ii does not, but I really like what the K5 does.

Also, can anyone say whether the K5 is as powerful and flexible as an amp compared to my JDS Labs Objective2?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #584 of 744
Y
Has anyone connected an iBasso DX80 to the K5 (heresy, I know!)? I grabbed the DX80 because it also does Android OTG, which the Fiio X5ii does not, but I really like what the K5 does.

Also, can anyone say whether the K5 is as powerful and flexible as an amp compared to my JDS Labs Objective2?

Thanks!

You need to use the old X5 firmware that support OTG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back