Fiio K5 + Equalizer (such as Shiit Loki)?
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tonycanuck

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to this hobby and I'm starting to branch out a bit.

I currently have a simple set-up, I have a Fiio X3 DAP that I plug into my Fiio K5 (and usually listen to on my HE400i).

My question, I was looking and noticed the Schiit Loki equalizer and thought this would be a great addition, but how would I run this set-up?

Could I use the output from the K5 to the input of the Loki, and to listen to the end music, could I run the signal back from the output of the Loki to the K5 input in the back and out to the headphone? Or will that circular signal just not work?

Any other way to run an equalizer (physical, not the one in the X3) like the Loki? I suppose I could run the K5 into the Loki and following that into another amp like the Magni 3, but if I could just make it work with the Loki and K5 that would be ideal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 6
The question is 'what comes out of the K5 Line Out when the input is set to Line In?'

If the Line Out still emits whatever is playing on the X3 then you can do as you suggest.

If the Line Out relays the Line In then this won't work (and might cause the Loki to release its magic smoke without which it will no longer work).

Do you have another amp - headphone or speaker - with which you can monitor the K5 Line Out while switching the K5 input?

May 1, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Hmm I think I see what you mean, although I dock the X3 on the K5 (not line in). I don't have another amp, but maybe a speaker will work?

Isn't the question, if I have a line out of the K5 and also my headphone hooked up to the K5, and then I send the signal out to Loki and back line in from the Loki, will the K5 headphone out play what's coming from the line in (Loki) or just output what's docked (X3)?

May 1, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmm I think I see what you mean, although I dock the X3 on the K5 (not line in). I don't have another amp, but maybe a speaker will work?

Isn't the question, if I have a line out of the K5 and also my headphone hooked up to the K5, and then I send the signal out to Loki and back line in from the Loki, will the K5 headphone out play what's coming from the line in (Loki) or just output what's docked (X3)?
No, you've got it backwards,

I get that the X3 is docked to the K5. If you set input to 'dock' then whatever is playing on X3 will be sent out the line out and the headphone out. Line In plays no part here at all.

To hear the line in (as would come from the Loki) you have to set the input to 'line'. Then whatever is on the line in will get sent to the headphones. The question is what gets sent to the line out in this mode. Is it the X3 (dock) or is it the line in. If it's the line in then that is not useful as you will her nothing (and Loki might burn since its output is connected to its input).

May 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I see, got it.

Thanks for the info! Okay, I'll try to see if I can borrow another amp and see what comes out of the K5 when switching inputs.

I really appreciate the information!

No, you've got it backwards,

I get that the X3 is docked to the K5. If you set input to 'dock' then whatever is playing on X3 will be sent out the line out and the headphone out. Line In plays no part here at all.

To hear the line in (as would come from the Loki) you have to set the input to 'line'. Then whatever is on the line in will get sent to the headphones. The question is what gets sent to the line out in this mode. Is it the X3 (dock) or is it the line in. If it's the line in then that is not useful as you will her nothing (and Loki might burn since its output is connected to its input).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back