• FiiO K3

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Creative Sound BlasterX G6

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
May 8, 2019 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hseldon

New Head-Fier
I need a headphone DAC/Amp for my desktop computer. I will use it with Hifi 400i, Senn 598cs and Senn 650.

I don't know much about dacs/amps but on paper SB G6 seems to be a better deal , since owner of FiiO K3 says it doesn't have enough power output for Hifi 400 or Senn 650 .
FiiO K3 has a balanced output too, do I need it with my headphones?

Price is very similar , so shall I go with SB G6 or am I missing something?

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 9
With the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650, you want as much power as possible, so I vote G6.

May 9, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 9
I need a headphone DAC/Amp for my desktop computer. I will use it with Hifi 400i, Senn 598cs and Senn 650.

I don't know much about dacs/amps but on paper SB G6 seems to be a better deal , since owner of FiiO K3 says it doesn't have enough power output for Hifi 400 or Senn 650

They're both powered by USB and Creative doesn't publish the output power specs of the G6. I wouldn't assume it has more power than the K3 since they're both limited by 5V, 500mA power source, unlike the Schiit that has a second USB port just for power to the headphone amplifier stage.

Considering you get 200mW at 32ohms from the balanced output, then sure...but you might as well get a headphone amp that can spit out 512mW at 32ohms and ~256mW at 300ohms instead of buying a balanced cable for the HE400i and HD650 just to not get that much out of the K3.

G6 has a DSP so if you need it for gaming and not all your games have headphone surround audio encoding then that's going to process surround sound from the games and movies into 2ch stereo but with reverb and crossfeed that would make it sound less like pure stereo signals coming out of two physical drivers.

And AFAIK G6 line out is fixed level (double check that though) so you can use a headphone amp with it later on if you want to upgrade for listening to music. Note the emphasis since with games, as long as the amp circuit isn't clipping or the noise isn't bad, you'd be dealing with a lot of other stimuli to notice that that explosion sounds kind off vs listening to music where the perspective from where you're listening isn't dynamic so those with good ears can tell if that note sounds off without having to worry about how their POV camera is relative to the source of that explosion (ie distance from the explosion and where your in-game head turns will alter how you hear the SFX, especially with surround/surround simulation).

If you don't need the DSP for games, but since you're using the HE400i and HD650 anyway, might as well save up instead of getting the K3 either. I have a similar output power portable unit and I use it at work. At home it stays with the laptop but there I just use the line out to feed my desktop speakers a cleaner signal.

May 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't know much about dacs/amps but on paper SB G6 seems to be a better deal , since owner of FiiO K3 says it doesn't have enough power output for Hifi 400 or Senn 650 .
Are you more into music or movies or FPS gaming or other?
I would say, for driving the 300-Ohm HD650, you might consider getting the Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier, then get a DAC with whatever is leftover in your audio budget.
Do you have a budget for buying a DAC and head amp?

May 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Are you more into music or movies or FPS gaming or other?
I would say, for driving the 300-Ohm HD650, you might consider getting the Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier, then get a DAC with whatever is leftover in your audio budget.
Do you have a budget for buying a DAC and head amp?
More into music. Try to buy the SACD versions nowadays.

What kind of DAC can I combine JDS Atom amp?

May 9, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 9
May 9, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for the replies.

Also , did anyone use Creative's DSP for gaming? It's supposed to turn stereo sound into surround , but I already use Microsoft's Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos Headphones where avaible , they already do a great job. Is Creative's solution really better?

May 9, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you for the replies.
Also , did anyone use Creative's DSP for gaming? It's supposed to turn stereo sound into surround , but I already use Microsoft's Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos Headphones where avaible , they already do a great job. Is Creative's solution really better?
Turning stereo (2.0) audio into headphone surround sound is more virtual (faked) headphone surround sound.
Taking a 5.1 (6-channel) or 7.1 (8-channel) audio source and turning it into headphone surround sound is something that Creative's CMSS-3D or SBX software or Dolby Headphone does.
If your ok using Sonic or Dolby Atmos, then just getting a DAC/head amp is fine.

May 10, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 9

You'd be better off doing the reverse and taking software surround sound, pass them through a virtualized surround DSP (instead of plain downmixing to 2.0) to output a 2.0 analogue signal through two physical channels. That way the game audio is already surround and all the DSP has to do is figure out how to try to make it sound like it's still surround than do more guesswork trying to make a 2.0 software signal sound like a surround signal on two physical channels.

Most gaming soundards have this. And depending on the games you play, they might have this already, if the 2.0 channel mode is labeled "Headphone" or has an alternate 2.0 labeled as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back