FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 31, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #151 of 408
Me too indeed. For now my better options are the E10K (available in the local market at a moderate price but not cheap), a K1 with the odd Fiio warning (half the price of the E10K), and some cool usb soundcard like the Creative HD for a little more than the E10K. Also the 5.1 version which is the cheapest. Hard to tell.

I say just ignore the "warning" and use the K1. You won't harm it or the amp, and the frequency response can't be impaired by driving the higher impedance load of the amp. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #153 of 408

I say just ignore the "warning" and use the K1. You won't harm it or the amp, and the frequency response can't be impaired by driving the higher impedance load of the amp. 

Yep you're right on that. But the Q1 has tempted me as it's more flexible (a little more expensive too). Still on the fence, but we'll see what I come up with. Both are great products indeed and so is the E10K but cost makes a difference too.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #154 of 408
How do you get it to work with the ipad? more precisely, which iOS you are on and did you use an usb hub? Because I tried it with my iPad Air, running on the latest iOS 9.2. I connect it with the Apple Camera Connection Kit (the newer version MD821AM/A instead of MD821ZM/A) and tried playing music from Spotify/Music App. And it didn't work for me. Could it have something to do with the new CCK? Plus, I didn't get any messages saying the K1 is drawing too much power. It simply didn't work.

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #155 of 408
  How do you get it to work with the ipad? more precisely, which iOS you are on and did you use an usb hub? Because I tried it with my iPad Air, running on the latest iOS 9.2. I connect it with the Apple Camera Connection Kit (the newer version MD821AM/A instead of MD821ZM/A) and tried playing music from Spotify/Music App. And it didn't work for me. Could it have something to do with the new CCK? Plus, I didn't get any messages saying the K1 is drawing too much power. It simply didn't work.

Thanks.

Okay. I tried using another micro-USB to USB wire other than the one that comes with the K1, I can get it to work like 1 every 20 times on my ipad and I have to plug and unplug it a million times. Sometimes, it will show a "device not supported message", and it will also turn the volume all the way up. When I get it to work, music will stop playing like every minute and I have to press play again. Weird, isn't it?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #156 of 408

Thanks.

The cable I have is a lightning to USB Camera Adaptor MD821AM/A - then a simple USB to micro USB.  Works as soon as plugged - every time, no hitches.

iPad Mini 16 Gb - model MD531X/A - iOS version 9.2

Just wished the iPhone would do the same.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #157 of 408
i tried with my friend's iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s plus and it worked perfectly. I don't get how it didn't work with my older iPad air (not the 2) or iPhone 5s...
blink.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #158 of 408
That's really confusing, this normally has nothing to do with power draw, the USB chip of the K1 is USB class 1.0 plug&play and since the K1 needs less power than a HRT dSp it more confusing. The K1 is even lower as the HRT dSp / i-dSp with the power requirements and this device which runs on all Android / iOS devices just fine.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #159 of 408
Got the K1 now - it's perfect for me with the Surface 3 and my RE-400. I can hear some hissing but it's no worse than the Fiio e7 at 50% volume (and much better than the e7 at 100%). It's also a pretty clean and steady sound - doesn't vary with the CPU load or anything. Other than that, y IEMs sound the same as they do with my e7 or my Xonar U7/O2 combo so that must mean the measurements given by Fiio are actually accurate.

Plugged it directly directly into the Surface and then through a USB3 hub and got exactly the same performance and no noise issue - which is great. I actually had to deal with noise issues on my e7 on some machines.

A keeper and I LOVE the size/weight. I honestly wish it came with no cable at all for my use - a straight USB port at the back would have been great IMO since it's the size of a USB stick.

Thanks again Fiio, please do keep making good products like this.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #163 of 408
$100?! Used right? Still, thats pretty good. Of course, the Geek Out better sound better than the K1($40)

Haha well they're pretty close actually. I had to listen very carefully to be able to come to the conclusion that the GO is technically superior. I would say sound wise, the K1 delivers 75% of what the GO is capable of. But in terms of features (DSD, filters), power and the noise floor, the GO obviously wins. And its only $60 dollars more (used of course). In short, if you can get a used Geek Out at a low price, go for it. Of course, make sure that the power output corresponds to your requirements. The 720 version does fine with my iems (Phonak 112 and Noble 4) and headphones (Fidelio X2) but if your iems are quite sensitive, get the 450 or 100. But if you can't get a GO at an insanely low price, then the K1 works fine. I'm still astounded by what the K1 can do for a mere $40.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #164 of 408
Haha well they're pretty close actually. I had to listen very carefully to be able to come to the conclusion that the GO is technically superior. I would say sound wise, the K1 delivers 75% of what the GO is capable of. But in terms of features (DSD, filters), power and the noise floor, the GO obviously wins. And its only $60 dollars more (used of course). In short, if you can get a used Geek Out at a low price, go for it. Of course, make sure that the power output corresponds to your requirements. The 720 version does fine with my iems (Phonak 112 and Noble 4) and headphones (Fidelio X2) but if your iems are quite sensitive, get the 450 or 100. But if you can't get a GO at an insanely low price, then the K1 works fine. I'm still astounded by what the K1 can do for a mere $40.  
My Fidue A73 is 107dB. Would the K1 work, despite it having no gain option? Would it be too sensitive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back