FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #406 of 1,891
For anyone who ordered the FiiO FD5 through Amazon (USA): I had to cancel my original order (ETA Jan 21 -22), in order to re-order, for an ETA of Jan 13

1610192717635.png

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #407 of 1,891
I am absolutely loving the sound of the fd5 but after doing some extensive comparisons to my repaired oxygens, fdx1 and more recent iems I have noticed that the vocals sound slight bit more distant then those iems. This was especially noticeable during my work times at night when I really just relax and let the vocals sing. With the fd5 I was craving a bit more presence for some reason and this is probably one of the reasons I felt the stage was huge aswell. With the very slight distant mids and it's design choice the fd5 has a unique stage that is unrivalled. All I need is a way to accentuate those vocals which would give them a near perfect score for my tastes. Everything is jaw dropping about these but my personal slight negatives are vocal positioning and a little bit more note weight. This is no knock on these as the Iem tuning comes down to personal preferences. Sound for sound these blow my recently repaired oxygens off the park!

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #408 of 1,891
I am absolutely loving the sound of the fd5 but after doing some extensive comparisons to my repaired oxygens, fdx1 and more recent iems I have noticed that the vocals sound slight bit more distant then those iems. This was especially noticeable during my work times at night when I really just relax and let the vocals sing. With the fd5 I was craving a bit more presence for some reason and this is probably one of the reasons I felt the stage was huge aswell. With the very slight distant mids and it's design choice the fd5 has a unique stage that is unrivalled. All I need is a way to accentuate those vocals which would give them a near perfect score for my tastes. Everything is jaw dropping about these but my personal slight negatives are vocal positioning and a little bit more note weight. This is no knock on these as the Iem tuning comes down to personal preferences. Sound for sound these blow my recently repaired oxygens off the park!
I think that it is more that the FDX1 and the Oxygen has forward vocals while the FD5 has more uhm Neutral (in the middle) vocals. So they are more distant for you because you are used to a more forward tuning.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #409 of 1,891
Just ordered a pair from Amazon!

I love my FH3 (with Final Type E clear tips), but I'm really hoping that the FD5 will take things to the next level. :ksc75smile:

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #410 of 1,891
Just ordered a pair from Amazon!

I love my FH3 (with Final Type E clear tips), but I'm really hoping that the FD5 will take things to the next level. :ksc75smile:
Just glad that I won't be mistaking the FD5, with my other FiiO IEMS, for my morning constitution (walk, not the other thing :worried: ) . 3rd time in recent weeks, I grabbed the wrong FH series.

FiiO FH35.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #411 of 1,891
Just glad that I won't be mistaking the FD5, with my other FiiO IEMS, for my morning constitution (walk, not the other thing :worried: ) . 3rd time in recent weeks, I grabbed the wrong FH series.

FiiO FH35.jpg
Just curious, but which one do you prefer between those two?

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #413 of 1,891
Looking to choose 2 all-arounder IEMs for a 3-way battle with FD5. Currently looking at DM8 and LZ A7(and possibly KB Believe, XBA-N3). It seems that A7 and FD5 can produce very similar sounds... Are they essentially the same? Or, which is the superior one, and why?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #415 of 1,891
Also, regarding a copper cable for FD5... Instead of disconnecting the God-forsaken MMCX connectors, couldn't I connect the stock cable into some sort of short copper interconnect/extension cable instead, to change the sound the same way? Force the stock silver cable into a copper one between the IEM and amp?

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #416 of 1,891
Also, regarding a copper cable for FD5... Instead of disconnecting the God-forsaken MMCX connectors, couldn't I connect the stock cable into some sort of short copper interconnect/extension cable instead, to change the sound the same way? Force the stock silver cable into a copper one between the IEM and amp?

Na that don't work like that. FD5 comes with a nice tool so you don't mess up the cable changes. I already have tried easily over a dozen cables. No problems what so ever on the FD5. Solid build is good. The only dongles that actually enhance sonics when attached to them is something like the Totem adapters you can buy on Penon web site otherwise your average copper adapter is not gonna matter much. Your much better off just getting a solid copper cable for the FD5.

I like all 3 but for different reasons. All 3 are not the same sounds. FD5 has this grand airy stage with a bold bass end and I can say a bold treble end detail and layering is done really well on the FD5. If you have a warmer source and are ok with trying out a copper cable the FD5 sounds great for what it is. Both the A7 and DM8 have excellent technicalities as well but more BA based in tone, timbre and imaging.

You can say all 3 have treble flaws. The FD5 is already resolving but the tuning and stock cable enhances the upper registers more than it has to be. Ceramic tweeters on the A7 while much better than previous iterations is not exactly a natural sounding treble, though you seldom hear it. It is there. DM8 has some treble shimmer and sparkle that don't necessarily sound natural either. Seems to be a house tuning thing for BGVP. BA timbre on both A7 and DM8 vs dynamic on the FD5

I like the DM8 for its imaging and dimensional character. It has a slight edge for me over the A7. I like the A7 due to its flexibility and tuning ability which is actually done really well, has a nice smooth coherent take on the sonics that is much better than the price would indicate. Its bass ability is a lot better than you would imagine here as well. I know some folks just like dynamics and dont care for BA timbre so that is where your own opinion counts.

I think all 3 are good values but all 3 are not perfect here. I would go with what type of earphone you want to try. A highly resolving dynamic, A well made hybrid with a variety of tunings or a an all BA earphone using 8 drivers in the DM8.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #417 of 1,891
Yes, I was thinking about the flaws. All 3 sound great, even so. But it seems FD5 may be the loser, if it requires a different cable and/or warmer source to solve its problem. You have to include it, though, since it's the dynamic, heh. I'm sure the BA's in the DM8 sound nothing like the BA's in KZs, at least. :)

DM8:
+ Imaging, positional accuracy
- BA timbre

A7:
+ Smoothness, customization
- Odd treble in certain areas

FD5:
+ Naturalness
- Potential slight sibilance and/or brightness

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #418 of 1,891
One advantage of the DM8 that I didn't mention is how it scales to nicer cables. All 3 of them do but the DM8 being all BAs is most affected vs the other two. Even thought the A7 is mostly BAs it doesnt scale to cables as much as the DM8 for some reason. It sounds better with higher end cables of course but the DM8 becomes a beast. That is for cable guys to know. Lol. Your not a cable believer forget I mentioned it.

FD5 is already has a highly resolving sound no matter what cable you try it is just that copper cables seem to smooth the sound a bit which helps with how detailed it is. Sources here matter as well. But some folks like a lot of detail so that counts as well.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #419 of 1,891
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #420 of 1,891
I'll get my fd 5 tomorrow, I'm really excited to see how the Fiio LC-RE will sound.
The sound of the FH7 has changed very well compared to the LS 4.4D. a bit more silky, instruments / voices more deep and yet together a beautiful unit :relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back