FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 23, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #1,802 of 1,891
Howdy folks,

First, a photo of FD11 with after market cable (I think this one is from KiwiEars Orchestra Lite). Even though the socket is 2-pin, the way FiiO design this socket might cause compatibility issue with some after market cable. The KiwiEars cable has flat top and long pins, thus it works. Cables with shorter pin might not connect properly.

The stock cable does not look or feel high-end, but very comfortable and well-behaved, so I don't think you need to replace the cable, especially since the IEM is so affordable. You should put the upgrade money toward ear tips instead.

I have a hard time getting a good seal in my right ear. All the stock tips do not work. SpinFit W1 does not work. All FiiO's tips, including 2-flange and foam tips, do not work. FiiO's new HS18 tips do not work. In the end, I use SpinFit CP145. If you feel that your FD11 has very low bass and a lot of midrange, you are not getting proper seal. These are bassy IEM.

IMG_2829.jpeg

My graph of FD11 against my favourite FiiO IEM, the JD7

graph-4.png

Sound Impressions:
  • The first noticeable aspect is soundstage. It feels open and wide across all three dimensions. It doesn’t trigger an immense illusion of depth like Andromeda or the height like the 8kHz peak of MS5, but the sound field is large enough for instruments to jump around.
  • The best way to think of FD11 soundstage is to recall the soundstage of a diffused field IEM, but with added bass to increase the sense of depth. The center image of the stage is never in front of the head or “speaker-like”
  • The bass slaps. It goes deep, but maintain real midbass punch. As a result of the subbass, this IEM feels tactile and physical.
  • The overall tuning is definitely V-shape, not because the voice is further away or burried, but because of the 11dB ear gain. Vocal is vibrant and forward. I survived Ed Sheeran’s Shivers without much problem, meaning sibilance and harshness is controlled.
  • Cymbals and hi-hats are there but never too harsh. I could say they are a bit de-emphasized.
  • Detail retrieval and resolution is quite good. I still need to A/B test to see whether FD11 is at Aria or Blessing 2 level. Due to the tuning, macro detail / note definition is high, but micro detail / texture / nuances are not as impressive. The "cat ear" tuning (2kHz and 5kHz peak, valley at 3kHz) definitely hurts the micro detail perception a bit. I always feel like a bit of micro details is just slightly masked.
In general, the sound quality is higher than the price tag. If you can get the fit right, and if you like a vibrant V-shape sound, I think you will love these. Another gem from @FiiO. I still love my JD7 more though.

With the FD7 retired, I wonder what is FiiO's plan for the next flagship single DD IEM. They have been doing a great job with DD, from the FF3 and FF5 to the JD7 and now this FD11.

May 23, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #1,803 of 1,891
Howdy folks,

First, a photo of FD11 with after market cable (I think this one is from KiwiEars Orchestra Lite). Even though the socket is 2-pin, the way FiiO design this socket might cause compatibility issue with some after market cable. The KiwiEars cable has flat top and long pins, thus it works. Cables with shorter pin might not connect properly.

The stock cable does not look or feel high-end, but very comfortable and well-behaved, so I don't think you need to replace the cable, especially since the IEM is so affordable. You should put the upgrade money toward ear tips instead.

I have a hard time getting a good seal in my right ear. All the stock tips do not work. SpinFit W1 does not work. All FiiO's tips, including 2-flange and foam tips, do not work. FiiO's new HS18 tips do not work. In the end, I use SpinFit CP145. If you feel that your FD11 has very low bass and a lot of midrange, you are not getting proper seal. These are bassy IEM.

IMG_2829.jpeg

graph-4.png

Sound Impressions:
  • The first noticeable aspect is soundstage. It feels open and wide across all three dimensions. It doesn’t trigger an immense illusion of depth like Andromeda or the height like the 8kHz peak of MS5, but the sound field is large enough for instruments to jump around.
  • The best way to think of FD11 soundstage is to recall the soundstage of a diffused field IEM, but with added bass to increase the sense of depth. The center image of the stage is never in front of the head or “speaker-like”
  • The bass slaps. It goes deep, but maintain real midbass punch. As a result of the subbass, this IEM feels tactile and physical.
  • The overall tuning is definitely V-shape, not because the voice is further away or burried, but because of the 11dB ear gain. Vocal is vibrant and forward. I survived Ed Sheeran’s Shivers without much problem, meaning sibilance and harshness is controlled.
  • Cymbals and hi-hats are there but never too harsh. I could say they are a bit de-emphasized.
  • Detail retrieval and resolution is quite good. I still need to A/B test to see whether FD11 is at Aria or Blessing 2 level. Due to the tuning, macro detail / note definition is high, but micro detail / texture / nuances are not as impressive. The "cat ear" tuning (2kHz and 5kHz peak, valley at 3kHz) definitely hurts the micro detail perception a bit. I always feel like a bit of micro details is just slightly masked.
In general, the sound quality is higher than the price tag. If you can get the fit right, and if you like a vibrant V-shape sound, I think you will love these. Another gem from @FiiO. I still love my JD7 more though.

With the FD7 retired, I wonder what is FiiO's plan for the next flagship single DD IEM. They have been doing a great job with DD, from the FF3 and FF5 to the JD7 and now this FD11.
Wow, thanks! I presumed this DD would be good -
A) Custom DD
B) Acoustic chambers/tricks
C) Large enough driver/ magnet system is good.
= Success!

May 23, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #1,804 of 1,891
Howdy folks,

IMG_2829.jpeg

graph-4.png

Sound Impressions:

My set cleared US Customs and should be at my door in a couple days. Now my JD7 will have a stable mate. I'm glad they both have somewhat similar but not exact tuning. If you read my previous post in this thread, then you know the FiiO store charged me full price instead of the promo price. I'm still waiting for my refund. The refund is not a lot of money, but it is the principle of the matter that is irksome.

May 24, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #1,805 of 1,891
Howdy folks,

IMG_2829.jpeg

graph-4.png

Sound Impressions:

Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.
Based on the after-sales data of our previous FH1S/FD1 and other IEMs which adopted flat 2PIN connectors, the repair rate was obviously higher than the MMCX’s, of which the 2-pin connector was broken or bending. While the flushed and recessed combination structure is more firm and stable, and the round shape is to coordinate with the styling. We are also developing a 2-pin to MMCX adapter to meet your needs. In addition, we are planning the 4.4mm balanced cable.

The FD11 is designed to perform healthy and impressive sound even when driven by devices like a mobile phone. When connecting with a high-output-power USB dongle or Bluetooth DAC/Amp, the FD11 will have more superior sounds.

The FD11 sounds pretty good on the first listening. But the characteristics of the vibration system of dynamic IEMs will be changing during use. After 100 hours of listening, it will have better sound performance, so what we need to do is to use it normally.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 24, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,806 of 1,891
FAQ about FiiO FD11:

1.The driver unit of the FD11

The FD11 uses a dynamic driver with asymmetrical internal and external magnetic circuits and 10mm carbon-based diaphragm.
2.What is the sound tuning style of the FD11? What type of music is it suitable for?

The FD11 is an IEM model focusing on mids and bass. The bass comes with large dynamics and warm vocals without sibilance, especially suitable for pop vocals. It focuses on dynamic driver timbre, with special attention on vocals, suitable for vocal-heavy, folk, ACG and other styles of music.
3.What are the accessories?

White silicone balanced ear tips*3 pairs (S/M/L), warranty card*1
*M-size ear tips are pre-installed at the factory.

Why not include a storage case/bag for the FD11?
FiiO has always been considered by consumers as a generous brand with rich accessories. However, we hoped every coin was spent on the sound quality, making it more value-for-money. If you need a storage case/bag, please take a look at our HB11 and other storage cases.

Why not use a cable with a microphone?
The FD11 is positioned as a cost-effective entry-level HiFi IEM. We mainly focus on the sound quality, and will develop a 3.5mm headphone cable with a microphone.
4.Is the cable detachable?

The FD11 uses a detachable 0.78mm 2-pin cable, but it is not guaranteed to be compatible with all 0.78mm 2-pin cables on the market due to the limit of the structure.

Why not adopt the more universal 2PIN flat connector?
Based on the after-sales data of our previous FH1S/FD1 and other IEMs which adopted flat 2PIN connectors, the repair rate was obviously higher than the MMCX’s, of which the 2-pin connector was broken or bending. While the flushed and recessed combination structure is more firm and stable, and the round shape is to coordinate with the styling. We are also developing a 2-pin to MMCX adapter to meet your needs. In addition, we are planning the 4.4mm balanced cable.

Why not adopt the MMCX connector?
We have been using only the most expensive expanded MMCX connectors in the industry. The cost is high, so it is not appropriate for the FD11. Currently, we only adopt the MMCX connectors on our mid-to-high-end IEMs.

Can the FD11 be adapted to the UTWS5 or UTWS3?
No.
5.What is the material of its headphone shell?

The FD11 features liquid die-cast zinc alloy construction, firm and comfortable to wear.
6.How to choose the appropriate ear tips?

The outer diameter of the sound nozzle is 5.8/5.2mm (the raised part is 5.8mm, and the other part is 5.2mm), so we can choose ear tips with 4~5mm inner diameter (all existing ear tips of FiiO are applicable).
7.Power demand for the front-end device and burn-in demand
Does the FD11 need to be driven by a device with high output power?

The FD11 is designed to perform healthy and impressive sound even when driven by devices like a mobile phone. When connecting with a high-output-power USB dongle or Bluetooth DAC/Amp, the FD11 will have more superior sounds.

Does the FD11 need to be burnt in?
The FD11 sounds pretty good on the first listening. But the characteristics of the vibration system of dynamic IEMs will be changing during use. After 100 hours of listening, it will have better sound performance, so what we need to do is to use it normally.
8.Is it comfortable to wear the FD11?

It uses a bionic design of conch, the cavity is not large, and the overall shape is rounded. Moreover, there is a shark-fin-like design, so it is comfortable to wear.

Why cannot certain individuals wear it firmly?
There are many reasons, such as the auricle, ear canal, and specifications of ear tips. Unless they are custom made, there is no way for them to fit everyone. It is suggested to change the ear tips with other specs and designs if the FD11 doesn’t fit your ears.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 24, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #1,807 of 1,891
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Best regards

I don’t think much burn in is necessary. Have been using the FD11 the entire day today with my DAP. The sound quality matches the description (bass and mid emphasis, no/low sibilance). Detail and soundstage are quite nice. Dynamic variation is strong, especially with orchestral recording.

Are these designed for deep or shallow wearing?

May 24, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #1,809 of 1,891
Okay, got mines today!!! Excited
Almost 65$ with express delivery. Ordered on 17th of may. Just arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,810 of 1,891
So the biggest issue for me is proprietary connectors - they’re rounded - only managed to fit Effect Audio cables. Stock cable is OK. But I just have too good cable collection not to put it in use.
First impressions:
Sound is very special. I think they need Burn in.
Sound is definitely musical, spatial and emotional.

May 24, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #1,811 of 1,891
Very peculiar design:

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
  • IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
  • IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
  • IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
  • IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #1,812 of 1,891
May 24, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #1,814 of 1,891
I don’t think much burn in is necessary. Have been using the FD11 the entire day today with my DAP. The sound quality matches the description (bass and mid emphasis, no/low sibilance). Detail and soundstage are quite nice. Dynamic variation is strong, especially with orchestral recording.

Are these designed for deep or shallow wearing?
Dear friend,

No special design for depth, but a good seal needs to be ensured.

Best regards

May 24, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #1,815 of 1,891
Dear friend,

No special design for depth, but a good seal needs to be ensured.

Best regards
Wonderful Job Fiio! Only hope it wouldn’t take so long with logistics to the US. Also, the socket might need an adaptor but nothing yet I’ve found. Unique design, good sound, very very good craftsmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back