FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,086 of 2,767
Unfortunately, I can't do a direct A/B comparison (part of my collection was left in the Irpin and I'm not sure if it's survived at all), but "by memory" I like FH7S more.
FH7 sounded weightier on mids for me, with more focus on impact and tightness, while FH7S is more open and closer to neutrality (not neutral per se, огие closer)
Also, FH7S is better in terms of staging (probably because of open construction and sounds more "fun", but at the same time technical enough. Bass is punchier and a bit better controlled, and treble sounds a bit less energetic for me. So in my perception FH7S is a noticeable step forward, unless you like exactly old FH7's signature, as FH7S changes it noticeably

But please take it with a grain of salt, as "by memory" comparisons aren't as precise as direct A/B. Hope someone will do this test and correct me if I'm wrong
i take it with salt but highly appreciate your comparison. i will now wait for 1-2 more "reviews" from headfiers who can compare both before i will buy it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,088 of 2,767
I reviewed the FH7S:

Good stuff:
  • Typical Fiio accessories -- it's a very well-supplied box.
  • Generally nice build quality, again, typical of Fiio.
  • The tuning from 1kHz and above is the best I've heard in a Fiio IEM -- really well-done upper mids and treble tuning, well-extended and nicely-detailed.
  • Above-average headstage

Bad stuff:
  • Cable's a bit stiff and kinky. Settle down.
  • The bass is... not very good. There's a lot of bass and it's pretty poorly defined, comes across kind of diffuse and overwhelming. The analogy that came to mind is being in a night club (not that I've been in one, lulz), with a sort of ever-present bass without clear localization.

Somehow... it still works. I've enjoyed the FH7S, despite the overwhelming and unimpressive bass quality.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,089 of 2,767
I reviewed the FH7S:

Good stuff:
  • The tuning from 1kHz and above is the best I've heard in a Fiio IEM -- really well-done upper mids and treble tuning, well-extended and nicely-detailed.

Bad stuff:
  • The bass is... not very good. There's a lot of bass and it's pretty poorly defined, comes across kind of diffuse and overwhelming. The analogy that came to mind is being in a night club (not that I've been in one, lulz), with a sort of ever-present bass without clear localization.

Somehow... it still works. I've enjoyed the FH7S, despite the overwhelming and unimpressive bass quality.

And yet as others have stated I find the bass to be the star of the show, tight, deep and well controlled especially when driven from a neutral source, it can be a bit overwhelming with some genres (which would satisfy a bass head) but overall a fun listen :relaxed:.
As for the cable I cannot think of another IEM manufacturer that supplies a better stock cable in both terms of sound and in terms of physical quality, even the AU$2000
CA Solaris 2020 I just sold couldn't compete in terms of cable quality and they charge a fortune for the not included balanced cable.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #2,090 of 2,767
I reviewed the FH7S:

Good stuff:

Bad stuff:

I guess the bass is because too mid-upper bass focused, too thick on danger dirty area 100-300hz that hit hard and bloated at the time even they went quick without bigger sub bass quantity so bass feel big but dry at the same time, typical of upper bass focus rather than sub bass.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,091 of 2,767
I guess the bass is because too mid-upper bass focused, too thick on danger dirty area 100-300hz that hit hard and bloated at the time even they went quick without bigger sub bass quantity so bass feel big but dry at the same time, typical of upper bass focus rather than sub bass.
The bass is to my ears at least is mid bass focused which is partly why I like it so much, very suited to 70's and 80's rock/electric guitar based music which I have a lot of in my collection :relaxed: I prefer the FH9 when listening to dance/trance electronic instrument based music due its sub bass focus.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,092 of 2,767
Well... Green "filters" adopted.

Green filters = no filter at all, just the protection grid.

The restitution becomes even more holographic, airier, dynamics and transients are even more intense, the definition is among the highest of all the in-ear monitors I have ever listened to, all prices or techno included.

I was tempted to do it, because since the Ringo equipped with the Aoraki cable, and the badass energy of the Elixir plus Tricopper x8, I felt a very small restraint of the fh9 in term of definition and intensity (last night; I had not listened to them again for a good 2 weeks, in favor of the 2 Aure Audio... ).

Well.... 😎😎😎😎😎👏

Also, strictly no loss of bass. It's perfectly planted. On the contrary, it is even more articulate. Strictly no loss of density and weight too. That was my main fear, and that's why I didn't touch the black filter. But it was a bit of a concern for me. Now, on the contrary, I would say, the density is even better rendered because the textures are even richer (tones, harmonics) and more precise (clipping). Still as much flesh around the bone (density). Hats off to you.

Otherwise zero "extra" sibilance. I passed my test tracks for this, nts.

In two words = direct take.

The only case, in my opinion, that makes some people go back to other filters, including the blacks, is to find the reproduction too "intense". I find it realistic, completely in accordance with the energy I know from live and real instruments = a very important, powerful sound and intense acoustic projection, almost disturbing sometimes, so much it sends. We have all experienced this in front of a trumpet, a sax, percussions "in real life"... well this is what I am talking about here.

In short, more than ever, a giant killer. 🤓

I persist: maybe the ultimate all rounder, and therefore one of the best pair of intras on the market according to my opinion which I share.

PS: here I am listening to a grand piano, played by Cyprien Katsaris. It's holographic and... just... realistic. 😎

F word................ 😭😇

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,093 of 2,767
And yet as others have stated I find the bass to be the star of the show, tight, deep and well controlled especially when driven from a neutral source, it can be a bit overwhelming with some genres (which would satisfy a bass head) but overall a fun listen :relaxed:.
Yeah, some people like the Campfire Dorado/Vega bass too, which I find very low quality, there is definitely a healthy amount of "that's just like your opinion, man" in my descriptions.

As for the cable I cannot think of another IEM manufacturer that supplies a better stock cable in both terms of sound and in terms of physical quality, even the AU$2000
CA Solaris 2020 I just sold couldn't compete in terms of cable quality and they charge a fortune for the not included balanced cable.
I suppose it depends on what you like in a cable. I like lightweight and pliable. The Dunu Vulkan cable in this video is a good example of my ideal. Though the Campfire "smoky litz" cable is also pretty good for me.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,095 of 2,767
So I listen a little quieter too. 🔊👍

It is so detailed and effortless... Very realistic, musical wise. Perfect technically wise.

Makes me really impressed.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #2,097 of 2,767
Morning French update :

Well definitely adopted for my part, those green filters.

Subway test (my ultimate torture test) = perfect 😎👍

Otherwise, a little trick, just silly: turn down your usual listening volume slightly and.... 😇👆👏

Anyway, I was already more than impressed by what I was listening to before (black filters), now I have to say... That I have nothing more to say. 🤯

For me this is a total no-fail.

I'm starting to think about buy them in black version too.... 😇

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #2,098 of 2,767
Morning French update :

Well definitely adopted for my part, those green filters.

Subway test (my ultimate torture test) = perfect 😎👍

Otherwise, a little trick, just silly: turn down your usual listening volume slightly and.... 😇👆👏

Anyway, I was already more than impressed by what I was listening to before (black filters), now I have to say... That I have nothing more to say. 🤯

For me this is a total no-fail.

I'm starting to think about buy them in black version too.... 😇
Fair to say you're just a little bit enthusiastic about the FH9 :relaxed: Personally FH9 looks better in Black..

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #2,099 of 2,767
Fair to say you're just a little bit enthusiastic about the FH9 :relaxed: Personally FH9 looks better in Black..
Really this is an endgame as I think. :L3000:

I don't care about price or other considerations like that (I have 2 other much more expensive iems in my collection, including a pair that cost almost 4x the price of the FH9 ; and in the past, I have owned far more expensive iems... :deadhorse:)
Just sound and finally music - every musics - as a result. :beerchug:

Also and finally, all my impressions include the following system :

Aune "M1s - fast filter" + FiiO "FH9 - green filters" + "Canal Works 肉球 Gel Wide Bore" L tips + FiiO "LC-RD Pro" 8-wires, balanced cable.

For me it is optimal. Other than that, I don't know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #2,100 of 2,767
Really this is an endgame as I think. :L3000:

I don't care about price or other considerations like that (I have 2 other much more expensive iems in my collection, including a pair that cost almost 4x the price of the FH9 ; and in the past, I have owned far more expensive iems... :deadhorse:)
Just sound and finally music - every musics - as a result. :beerchug:

Also and finally, all my impressions include the following system :

Aune "M1s - fast filter" + FiiO "FH9 - green filters" + "Canal Works 肉球 Gel Wide Bore" L tips + FiiO "LC-RD Pro" 8-wires, balanced cable.

For me it is optimal. Other than that, I don't know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I recently sold my Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 as I preferred the sound from the FH9 at around half the price here in Australia. Since you really like the FH9 have you considered listening to the new FH7S or FD7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back