FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 28, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,861 of 2,767
Hm... it is really not true and not a fair comparison. First of all lets play in the same price range: US700. Sony has only XBA-Z5 hybrids in same pricerange. I own both XBA-Z5 and FH9. Tested on ZX507, M17, Kann Alpha, SP2000... FH9 always win :) more open and bright sound with superrior bass :) XBA-Z5 fully v-shaped and has tonns of losses espesially in mid. But might be it sould be special player :) Same like with EI900 I plug them everyware and did not belive that this IEMs cost so mutch till I plug them into SP2000 where they been fully opened :) WOW it was really amazing!!! Second, you used to listen "Japanise" sound :) FIIO more "American" profile of sound :) I have a fiend who creasy from AKM Velvet sound :) He cannot listen anything else :) exept "Japanise" V - shaped profile :) So compearising two different brands wold be wery complicated.
First of all, what you say is wrong

graph (8).png

The FH9 doesn't have more midrange, nor is the XBA-Z5 V-Shaped. They are tuned almost identical. The FH9 is actually more V-Shaped than the XBA-Z5.

Also I don't understand why the technology is important. If the IER-M7 is better, it doesn't matter what technology it uses. If it's in the same price range, it should be comparable.

he FH9 sounds more bright, but does have less details. So it's treble is louder, but not better.

That is a difference and important, because that is the reason, why the layering is worse on the FH9

The FH9 sounds less authentic and disjointed with worse layering. You say the FH9 sounds brighter like it's an advantage. But this is actually the reason why it's worse because this is (one of the factors), that makes music sound less authentic and limits the use cases.

With the XBA-Z5, you can listen to every genre, no matter what. With the FH9, you can't. This is _not_ an advantage.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,862 of 2,767
I'm switching between the Sennheiser IE800 and the Shure 535 on my Fiio M11.
The IE800 are my favourites but they're getting on a bit and the sound isn't what it was when new.

I listen to a range of genres from Classical, Choral, Jazz, Indie and Alternative music to Rock, Pop, HipHop, Folk and Electronic. I move with the mood with 1TB of music on my Fiio, I have a lot of choices :)

Buying a new IEM like the FH9 is awkward as I can't return them once they've been in my ears so it's difficult to know if they're suitable until I do. The dilemma of IEM purchases is that risk handing over a lot of money for something that may work for me. There are no guarantees as everyone's ears are different.
I've been through this thread, all thirty pages, and I read, that these IEMs have a lot of bass, they have average bass, it has good mids, average mids, poor treble, and acceptable treble.

Before I hand over my hard-earned shiny pebbles, and for those who have the FH9 already, can I hear the triangle at the back of the orchestra? Are the mids, especially voices, drowned by the music or vice versa? Do they favour male or female vocals, and is bass controllable? I am not a twenty-year-old bass head. I like refined music where I can hear all levels and enjoy some sparkle and brightness to the sound without sacrificing the lower end. I like music, not clinical precision. The majority of my music is 16 or 24 bit flac purchased from Qobuz, Bandcamp and other sites or ripped from my vast CD collection, and finally, will those open backs annoy the bus passengers like a leaky iPhone user spending £1000 on a phone with cheapy earbuds?

The FH9 earphones are currently on sale in the UK, so should I take the plunge?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,863 of 2,767
Hello

i am an owner of a FH9 since few days. I think i have a problem with them. the left IEM has a little sizzles on some tracks. Not on all the tracks but at some precise moment.
he bugs me a lot cause it is a very good pair...
Someone has already have this issue ?

I have no problem with other iems on the same track

thanks

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,864 of 2,767
Hello

i am an owner of a FH9 since few days. I think i have a problem with them. the left IEM has a little sizzles on some tracks. Not on all the tracks but at some precise moment.

thanks
Have you tried to unplug the cable and then plug it again?
Maybe contact is not so secure.

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,867 of 2,767
Hello

thanks
Dear LudoLVG,

If you are convenient, please share the certain music file to us via support@fiio.com. We will also forward to the engineer for check.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,869 of 2,767
Picked up a pair of these to use with the UTWS5 and... yeesh. I have never hated anything more out of the box than these things. I listened for about an hour and was ready to send them back, I couldn't find a way to enjoy them. I then read about how burn-in makes these easier to get into. With as much experience as I have with Ultrasone headphones over the years, I get it, so I started burning them. After about 80 hours, they were easier to listen to. If this is where they settle in at, I'm still returning it. I'm a little hopeful, but damn these are a huge miss.

The UTWS5 are staying, though. I do like those things.

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,870 of 2,767
. . . so I started burning them. After about 80 hours, they were easier to listen to. If this is where they settle in at, I'm still returning it. I'm a little hopeful, but damn these are a huge miss.

The UTWS5 are staying, though. I do like those things.
If I remember correctly, FiiO suggested around 200 hrs. Out of the box, I couldn’t discern a difference, amongst the various dip switch settings. But after that looong break in, the dip switches did seperate themselves.

What is it about the playback, that doesn’t tickle your fancy ?

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,871 of 2,767
If I remember correctly, FiiO suggested around 200 hrs. Out of the box, I couldn’t discern a difference, amongst the various dip switch settings. But after that looong break in, the dip switches did seperate themselves.

What is it about the playback, that doesn’t tickle your fancy ?
Yes, I have about 218 hours of files in a playlist to hopefully get them sounding better. It's the treble. It's MUCH too intense. I listen to a lot of dance music, Drum n Bass specifically more than anything. The hump at 8k turns the snares in the tunes into nuclear powered drills.

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #1,872 of 2,767
Yes, I have about 218 hours of files in a playlist to hopefully get them sounding better. It's the treble. It's MUCH too intense. I listen to a lot of dance music, Drum n Bass specifically more than anything. The hump at 8k turns the snares in the tunes into nuclear powered drills.
If you’re not adverse to an EQ or PEQ, doing a cut to a particular frequency range wouldn’t be a detriment to the playback. I myself have a sensitivity to the 2khz range, so I can only enjoy my tunes with a cut to that offending signal, on all of my IEMs.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,873 of 2,767
Got about 24 hours of burn-in left on my FH5S. I did, however, take delivery of some FD7 today that I like a LOT more out of the box vs the FH5S.

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,875 of 2,767
FH9 = just waouh !

Ultimate (Elite) all rounder, at any price, and I know well some very (very) pricey competitors... And to my mind, one of the best uiem sound and design at any price. It is said.

Not the last word for timbral accuracy (very little metallic feint color = armatures, medium) and refinement, but these are very minor flaws, and next to an absolute master of that things (Aure Audio Ringo).

The Fh9 tuning is a real mastery. And lot of weight, body (all the bandwidth), no bleed, power, drive, prat, agility...

Very, very, very impressed, really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back