Fiio FT5
Feb 4, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #271 of 352
I thinking about order this and the edition XS to compare them, just cant decide which would i like more. From the fiio K7 either of them would sound at full potential.
If i make the jump i will write up the differences how i see... Although thers a B option: from their prices i could just order an Arya Stealth and finish the job. In theory it will be better than the other two, but im too curious to the fiio to just let is go.

Funny thing, that my most important parameters are the soundstage, layering, depth, imaging, so in short the holographics abilities, BUT the fiio FT5 opinions are so controversial and opposite in this regard that they just not helping much. :) I think it depends from the source, if somebody using from laptop or phone it will be narrow as a closed back headphone, but from a good ampdac it will be nearly as big as the eggshaped hifimans. (the planar driver is almost the same size so)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #272 of 352
On Qutest Anni stack for example they have good holography but this stack is made to sound this way - deep and holografic with close perspective. So FT5 sounds big and with Anni just huge and close, but not relaxing and not with a good sense of space. Space comes with other DAC than Qutest for shure. Bold and big sound on this hp goona be dependand on amplification. They really dont need much, every DAP, medium grade dongle DAC, any normal headphone amplifier should do the justice for them. Nothing to be afraid here. If you have normal or small head everything gonna be fine. And for a case of pairing planar headphones with laptop output or smartphone jack... Guys, give me a break. Be serious.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #273 of 352
But if you say so... ok. So...

headphone jack from Redmi Note 12 - flat, snappy, not enganging sound with lack of power and fulness. Dry and boring, clearly too litlle power. Waste of words.

Redmi Note 12 with IFI Go Link - much better, they play loud and satysfaying with almost whole or whole volume, so this is maximum for this phone and dongle. Its just 70 mw in GO Link, clearly is for docks or something like Grado or other highly dynamic cans. But this little guy fight like lion with ROON Arc and a little bit EQ. Stiil too little power, just more volume and thicker sound but not open or holographic. Too weak DAC and amplifier.

jack from mainbord of the PC/laptop - i wasnt even tryin, waste of time

my sister's Samsung S23 ultra with IFI Go link - quite a performer overall, thicker and more powerfull sound than my Xiomi, but its stiil not even close to some hi fi. Generally, smrtphones can play with FT5 but with something better than this GO link or on board jack. Maybe something like IFI GO Bar should do the trick.But overall, its waste of potential for mne.
Good DAP do the proper job if we want use this headphone on the go or just portapble in home. Its plenty of this staff to chosse from. Otherwise, good solidstate headphone amplifer or DAC/amp combo always do the trick. You just need to look something that have good space if you want wider picture of music. FT5 its not a soundstage or huge capacity sound king. Only bass sound pretty much always (on suede pads) that way. But from the laptop or headphone jack... not even that.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #274 of 352
Interesting how some people experience the FT5 as not very open and small soundstage, while others experience them as very wide.

I tried back my HD650 (which I find sounding wider than the HD660S2) a few days ago. It still is a very competent headphone, especially the correct tonality and just doing everything correct and never crossing the borders. Despite the much bigger bass of the FT5, the HD650 still don't sound thin or sterile. It's the difference between a studio album (HD650) vs a live concert (FT5). HD650 very polite and correct, their sound is between my ears. the FT5 big (bass), bold (warm mids/vocals) and sounding around my head. Especially vocals feel very live despite a bit more colored . .

Still using the suede paths. I found the leather/pleather sound much smaller/more closed. Maybe I should try the leather/pleather for some longer, trying to adjust to their sound. . .
I just found the sound Very different from the S2's, which is not unusual. It takes me anywhere from an hour to a day to adjust to a different set.
I will try the suedes this week though. I will be using these into/through next weekend.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #275 of 352
The Diablo really rocks these headphones. I tweaked oratory's EQ to be a little more rock/metal friendly, these headphones take EQ really well, as with any planar. Fantastic bass without any boom. It's like subwooofers attached to your face! Feel free to try it out:

Preamp: -4.8 dB
Filter 1: OFF PK Fc 65 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.6
Filter 2: ON LOW_SHELF Fc 105 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.72
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 0.6
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 370 Hz Gain -0.9 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 460 Hz Gain 1.2 dB Q 2.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1400 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 0.8
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2900 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4250 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.4
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 5.0
Filter 10: ON HIGH_SHELF Fc 8000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 0.71

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #276 of 352
The Diablo really rocks these headphones. I tweaked oratory's EQ to be a little more rock/metal friendly, these headphones take EQ really well, as with any planar. Fantastic bass without any boom. It's like subwooofers attached to your face! Feel free to try it out:

Preamp: -4.8 dB
Filter 1: OFF PK Fc 65 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.6
Filter 2: ON LOW_SHELF Fc 105 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.72
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 0.6
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 370 Hz Gain -0.9 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 460 Hz Gain 1.2 dB Q 2.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1400 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 0.8
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2900 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4250 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.4
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 5.0
Filter 10: ON HIGH_SHELF Fc 8000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 0.71

I'm a bit concerned about the +4 dB boost at 4250 in this preset, primarily due to the existing hump around 4000 on the FT5. This can lead to a harshness, especially with certain rock/metal albums, and the additional +4 dB exacerbates the issue, making the FT5 nearly unbearable and sibilant. I'm curious about the rationale behind the +4 dB boost at 4250 in this preset. Could you provide more insight into that choice? Personally, I found that reducing the 4250 frequency to -3 dB worked well for me. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to higher frequencies, but this adjustment significantly improved my experience. Despite this concern, I find the preset to be quite interesting in terms of its overall sound profile.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #277 of 352
The only EQ'ing I do on the iFi is to add just a touch of bass boost and a few notches of 3D sound effects.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #278 of 352
I'm a bit concerned about the +4 dB boost at 4250 in this preset, primarily due to the existing hump around 4000 on the FT5. This can lead to a harshness, especially with certain rock/metal albums, and the additional +4 dB exacerbates the issue, making the FT5 nearly unbearable and sibilant. I'm curious about the rationale behind the +4 dB boost at 4250 in this preset. Could you provide more insight into that choice? Personally, I found that reducing the 4250 frequency to -3 dB worked well for me. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to higher frequencies, but this adjustment significantly improved my experience. Despite this concern, I find the preset to be quite interesting in terms of its overall sound profile.
I followed oratory1990's EQ and measurements. Looks like there is actually a dip around 4k, hence the boost. I tried reducing it, but makes things a bit muffled with the bass boost. Might play around a little more with it.

BTW, try Black Sabbath's God is Dead on the FT5, esp. with bass boost. I know that album does not have the greatest DR, but the bass slams hard, while the guitars crunch as much.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #279 of 352
So, when I thought that nothing will surprise me.
I've had this special opportunity to deal with new, first-batch unit which I was able to test and share my impressions here on this thread. They impressed me and I mean A LOT. So much that I've decided to buy them. Unfortunately this unit was a property of my colleague and while they were sold out here in Poland I had to wait. The reservation has been made in local shop and I waited...
Until yesterday when I received a call that my unit is waiting for me. I apeared there with a split of a second and after some time, in my apartment I began to open it.
First red flag appeared when I tried to remove security seal - it was almost not sticky at all and I was able to remove it with no effort. And what I have found underneath it?

20240206_195433.jpg

As You can see the marks on surface of this box it looks like someone ripped the previous seal off and applied a new one which also have some unknown debris sticked to it. I own some FiiO products and I always remove FiiO seals without cutting it so I know that they are clean on the sticky side. That was the time when I began to worry.
When I removed the plastic corners and get the proper box out (which by the way had some fingerprints on it as I noticed futher) next thing caught my attention:

20240206_195444.jpg

Those who bought and own FT5 already know where I'm going - suede pads are placed in foamy container while in first batch they were applied on headphones while pleather ones were here. Welp... Let's go to the main event. After removing the "velvet" sack and opening the case FT5 appeared to my eyes.

20240206_195512.jpg

And while nothing caught my special attention here (apart from kinda differently rolled up cable)...

20240206_195545.jpg

... The upper part of the case certainly did. Tell me I'm paranoid. @FiiO - tell me that this is not what I'm thinking it is. I almost immediately contacted with shop and sent them these photos so You should receive these soon in the mail with unit's serial numer to check. And as I know this shop (one of the managers is my friend) they could not do THIS to me. Because I know that they have received only few units on Polish market which were sold almost immediately and after this only one pair has been returned to them. And while the seal was broken and the headphones were a little worn out they ended as test unit so it was impossible that... I just can't write this.
Now I'm waiting for a new unit and when the shop will receive the package from the warehouse I'll double-check this one too. Not so good FiiO. Not so good.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #280 of 352
That's a shame! Especially if it was a test unit and someone/somewhere tried to repack and reusing the seal.
Not possible someone thought I will sell the test unit as "opened box" and someone found the box and thought it was brand new? It sounds a bit too dumb to be done on purpose . . .

Maybe you can keep this unit a new one arrives at you, so you still can enjoy them meanwhile?

Hope you get a fresh replacement soon! They are worth it for sure!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #281 of 352
That's a shame! Especially if it was a test unit and someone/somewhere tried to repack and reusing the seal.
Not possible someone thought I will sell the test unit as "opened box" and someone found the box and thought it was brand new? It sounds a bit too dumb to be done on purpose . . .

Maybe you can keep this unit a new one arrives at you, so you still can enjoy them meanwhile?

Hope you get a fresh replacement soon! They are worth it for sure!

Yeah... For me it looks like these actions were made directly on Fiio's warehouse before sending these to Poland because Polish distributor is ordering directly from them.
Also I was assured that I can use these while waiting for another pair. These will end as another test unit in other shop which they own or will be sent back.
... I was never so confused in my life as yesterday when I was unboxing my new purchase.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #282 of 352
Those who bought and own FT5 already know where I'm going - suede pads are placed in foamy container while in first batch they were applied on headphones while pleather ones were here.
On mine pleathers were default. Mine are brand new for sure though, none of the other signs you talked about.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #283 of 352
Maybe someone made a decision to switch the pads in next batch because it showed that people like the pleather pads more and except mailer box I may have totally new unit..?
My point is that Fiio tends to sell their IEMs or headphones in best default configuration in their opinion. Specific pads/tips are applied already to enjoy listening in set they think is the best starting point to decide whether it's good or will You like to change something.
I know that I'm thinking too much but... for me it's unacceptable. They directly inform on the seal "Please make sure the seal isn't broken before opening the package". So I did. And boy, they screwed it up.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #284 of 352
I followed oratory1990's EQ and measurements. Looks like there is actually a dip around 4k, hence the boost. I tried reducing it, but makes things a bit muffled with the bass boost. Might play around a little more with it.

BTW, try Black Sabbath's God is Dead on the FT5, esp. with bass boost. I know that album does not have the greatest DR, but the bass slams hard, while the guitars crunch as much.
Yes, sorry, I got the frequency a little mixed up, the 4250 is the slope of the hump, almost near the dip (at least on the graph that I'm looking at). But I still prefer to keep it at 0 or -1. By the way, I'm really digging this preset, metal sounds amazing with it! Can't get enough!

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #285 of 352
More update after two days of 6+ hours per day use: These are probably the least fatiguing headphones I have owned after HD650. I am glad I don't have a big head or ears, so they are super comfortable for me. I didn't even realize I have been using them for so long at a time. The tuning is quite laid back, the treble doesn't offend, distortion is minimal at high volume. Least fatiguing does mean less resolving to some people though. I am glad Fiio didn't go crazy with the pricing. Highly recommend giving these a chance if you are on the fence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back