Fiio FT5
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #226 of 352
I had a quality control issue with my FT5s which I sent back to Amazon for a refund. Something in the right cup was moving and creating a metallic rattling every time I moved my head.
After an inspection I discovered that it was the pin in the photo. It had a lot of slack in its seat and there was no way to fix it.
Really bad..
I'm pretty sure mine had that too. Between that and the planar crinkle it seems I really hit the QC-jackpot. Also, I heard back after describing my experience with the crinkle to the Fiio-support. According to them, it is normal and "there is always going to be some noise". I guess these just aren't for me.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #227 of 352
I'm pretty sure mine had that too. Between that and the planar crinkle it seems I really hit the QC-jackpot. Also, I heard back after describing my experience with the crinkle to the Fiio-support. According to them, it is normal and "there is always going to be some noise". I guess these just aren't for me.
I don't notice this issue at all on my set, maybe just lucky . . .

Am I the only one who likes the suede pads more than the leather ones? I tried the leathers and for me the bass slams too hard with these. The suede sound more relaxed in that department. It's like a full round bass vs a very tight attacking/slamming bass. The difference is quit obvious, despite you don't see it in the FR graphs.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #228 of 352
I find that the suedes have a soft, rounded, loose bass. I prefer the perceived clarity of the pleather. I find them similar to the bass of my iBasso SR2's, which is to say prominent.

I will likely try the suedes again down the road and may very well change my opinion. :grin:

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #229 of 352
They don't know what they are saying..
Nothing should move like that inside a cup, especially if there is metal against metal that can create noises.
Except for the tolerance of that pin in the photo, my headset was perfect. No crinkle at all.. I tried moving the headphones on my head every which way with the leather pads. These are just two different stories of poor quality control.. and questionable design choices. Fix the headband to the cups with those moving pins (metal on metal), without at least adding dampening rubber, it's an odd choice.
Support says random things to keep you calm.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #233 of 352
I compared these with my Final D8000 and Pioneer SE Master 1. Superb headphones for a price. Once they came on daylight, i was knowing i must have them.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #234 of 352
They seemed to have recessed higher part of the mids and have sometimes that bass rage, but they are ok. Like any other headphone, the need to accommodate with person's ears. After Finals they are too bassy with recessed upper midrange, but super boomy with EDM and rap. Pioneers have thier slam factor but they are not so full compared to Fiio. They are also like D8000 have more prominent upper midrange. Suprasingly, all three peaces have little bit muffled higher frequency when i listened with ROON. Maybe thats my amplifier thing, maybe that my ears today are tired, or maybe ROON have tons of bass acctually. I think the last one. ROON really rocks with that low end. What i take for consideration, D8000 have G pads from their PRO series. So they are scale low end bit more than usually. And even with that, Fiio are more powerful than these 2 bass kings - D8000 and Master 1. Amazing.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #236 of 352
Great review. The comparison with the HD650 is pretty much also my experience except the 650 didn't sounds veiled for me

I gave another try with the leather pads, but I agree with this reviewers opinion, they make the soundstage smaller, they sound more closed in where the suedes are wider and little more Lively.

I am still very satisfied with these after using them for a week. Didn't feel the need to switch back to the 650's at all.

I think these could be a hit as this warmer type of sound isn't very widely available in this price class.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #238 of 352
I got an FT5 just the other day, and was surprised at how bright/piercing it sounded, although it's mostly described as a warmer/darker HP. It's literally ear-piercing with rock and metal. Perhaps, it's just my physical features that make this HP sound that sharp. Or maybe it just needs some proper burn-in to soften. What do you colleagues think?

I had to EQ it in Roon a little bit to tame upper mids and treble, and now it sounds more or less comfortable. But not anywhere near as comfortable as my Rognir Dynamic. Apart from that sharpness I really enjoyed it's full-bodied sound.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #239 of 352
I compared these with my Final D8000 and Pioneer SE Master 1. Superb headphones for a price. Once they came on daylight, i was knowing i must have them.
I am interested how they compare with the Master 1. Can you describe more about comfort, soundstage and micro details? I think they have more or less same weight.
Also can you find leather earpads for the FT5?
Thanks 👍

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #240 of 352
I am interested how they compare with the Master 1. Can you describe more about comfort, soundstage and micro details? I think they have more or less same weight.
Also can you find leather earpads for the FT5?
Thanks 👍
Comparising to Master 1? Ok.

Comfort

Comfort is not to compare if you have big head. Pioneer wins with huge margin. I must strech FT5 to maximum. And clamping force is greater than in Pioneers. In comfort, Pioneers are masterclass, like Mercedes in headphone world. Everything there is quality. Well in Fiio too, but is not that level.

Soundstage and sound

In Pioneers is huge and depends on amplifier, can be extremly good, like the sea of sounds around you. You can drawn in thier sound. FT5 sounds tighter but have very good layering and fell of spaceness. And thats a quite achivemnt becuse of that treable tuning. Its a plenty of treable after all, but thewir placing in music is important. They are always on place propably because of that liitle bit recessed upper midrange. That also give a right amount of thickness to lower midrange, and music never feel thin and everything have body. Same thing with Pioneers but i think Fiio do some things better for long listening sessions. Lower bass is fuller with more rumble and sound more natural, Pioneers can be hollow and flatten that region of music. Upper midrange in Pioneers are forward comparing to Fiio and have that little spike i dont like and i dont need. But overall its not hearable after entering in this sound a little bit. The lower midrange in Pioneers sound also good, thats a not flat sounding headphones but not in Fiio range in this regard. If someone like thick bassy sound with good perspective Fiio have that from box, Pioneers need cearfull chosed amplification. The treable sound little bit thin on Pioneers comapre to Fiio, and without good amplfication easily could sound muffled on Master 1. Suprasingly for FT5, upper tons are always visible. Huge low end always follow. Perfect headphone for EDM, electro, big beat, hip hop, and all this non audiophile music up there. Bass in Fiio is the strongest point. They have propably one the best bass in headphones right now, its like you have planar bass from normal panars but with that energy and focus from dynmic drivers. Also their kick. No shame here. But when i playn with ROON nowdays, i prfer my G padded D8000 above, but not becuse of bass, becuse of timbre, overall original sound and huge speaker like dense, thick presentation. On the weak source is less matter and with some music Fiio could actually even win. So with good source using full range of my Qutest, 32bit/DSD512 ROON elevated FLAC with MUSE engine:

1. G - padded D8000 OG
2. Sometimes Fiio FT5, sometimes Pioneer Master 1 with 8 strand litz silve cable. Depends on mood and music. Other amplfication propably could make Pioneers sound better and make them overall second, so that could be just better headphones as all arounder.
3. -||-

If comes to pads, i didnt listen on PLeather pads yet. I dont listen that much and i have 3 hi end pieces of hp i house. So, 70% headtime is G padded D8000 OG, 20% time is Fiio FT5 on suede pads and 10% is Master1. I dont listen on Pionners that much becuse i was having them like 2 years once, and sold them to check HEDDphone ONE. But i have them second time right now. Just from a sentiment and comparative value to planars, becuse they are the best, most complete dynamic headphones i know.

I was having once almost perfect amplifier for Pioneer, he called EarStream Headonic, and he was made especially for me, by Michał Wyroba form Kraków in Poland. I was prefering them a liitle bit more with Headonic instead with Anni. But Anni make good job with planars. Fiio and D8000 sounds superb with Qutest/Anni stack. Meze, Audeze, HiFiMan;s propably too.

I think Fiio FT are superb sounding planars but the listener must just enter in this sound, like in any other headpones. I think the factor could be repulsive for most people on first hours of listening, is recessed upper mids. They are recessed not in therms of quantity, they are there. They are recessed in therms of placing in the mix. But Lee from Fiio customer service said in this thread that was the engeineers intension. I cant argue with that. Beside, i just like this sound. Someone who read about Fiio FT5 right now, must just remember one thing - thats a not a dark relaxing headphones at all. With good amplification they can crush walls with power and they sound with proper lighting across the frequencies. That a not a dull hp considering thei big low end an recessed mids. Il try to listen them once in pleather pads and write something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back