FiiO = FT5 Planar : Initial Impressions
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 50
I just read a review that stated that the headphone plugs are proprietary. That is the first I have ever heard that. Is that correct? I use Hart Audio cables and doubt he is making any cables for FiiO headphones.
No they are standard - I swapped around with some Hifiman ones I have without any problems. Possible someone mentioned that the cable itself is proprietary in that it is sort of unique you can easily swap between 3.5mm / 6.35mm / 4.4mm / XLR adapters.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 50
No they are standard - I swapped around with some Hifiman ones I have without any problems. Possible someone mentioned that the cable itself is proprietary in that it is sort of unique you can easily swap between 3.5mm / 6.35mm / 4.4mm / XLR adapters.
Thank you! I was hoping on that. I thought I heard that they were 3.5mm. The multiple head cable is cool, but I would never use it.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 50
I just read a review that stated that the headphone plugs are proprietary. That is the first I have ever heard that. Is that correct? I use Hart Audio cables and doubt he is making any cables for FiiO headphones.

, .. You can use other cables....yes.
Im using gold plated silver balanced cables that i bought from JM-Audio.

In the photos below, you'll see the black cable that is the FT5 original, and my Gold that im using to power the gear.

You could even use the Balanced Meze Cable that works with the Noir, if you have one of those.
-
-

DSC00559.JPG
DSC00558.JPG

-
-

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 50
, .. You can use other cables....yes.
Im using gold plated silver balanced cables that i bought from JM-Audio.

In the photos below, you'll see the black cable that is the FT5 original, and my Gold that im using to power the gear.

You could even use the Balanced Meze Cable that works with the Noir, if you have one of those.
-
-

DSC00559.JPGDSC00558.JPG
-
-
Isn't one of those a dual 3.5mm mono cable vs a dual 3.5mm stereo cable?

Either way, good to know!

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 50
Have you ever considered what is going on when you insert a stereo cable ...L<>R...., into one mono headphone per side, , vs, a duel mono cable, doing the same thing... L<>R?

Try it., and see what happens..
I have. I own a few mono 3.5mm dual headphones. I had to buy a set of mono 3.5mm's as the stereo ones wouldn't work properly. Luckily Hart makes both.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 50
I have. I own a few mono 3.5mm dual headphones. I had to buy a set of mono 3.5mm's as the stereo ones wouldn't work properly. Luckily Hart makes both.

Im using 3.5 Stereo cables into the FT5..
Works like a charm.
ive used mono balanced cables with HEK's, and others.
Works perfectly.
It just depends on the set of Headphones.
Ive also done this with Rosson Rad-0, and got SILENCE.

So, the FT5's play with stereo or mono.
They ship with Mono., but i use the Stereo Gold/Silver because they produce slightly more clarity with the FT5's.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 50
So, aftter more time spent with the FT-5's, i have not noticed any significant FR changes.
These have a rich, slightly dark tone, ... its warm, with good detail.
I would suggest silver/copper balanced cables, and something like the Ultra Clean Aune X1S-GT to power them, as this type of clean power and a warm headphone, is a perfect connection.

The FT5's Treble is good , the Bass is full and commendable, and the midrange is rich, and not recessed. (Cloth Pads).
The instrument separation is pretty good, but, as the sound stage is not wide, you can only have so much separation, in this case.
I can't use the comfy Pleather Pad, as this just dials up too much SLAM for my taste.
And Similar..... in one regard, they are to the Mezy Empy's= is the fact that this FiiO gear is not trying to get you to evaluate your headphones, using music.
The FT-5's are not a set a sonic microscopes.
They are not designed to be used to X-RAY your music.
This gear, wants you to enjoy your tunes, vs, analyze all the parts.

If anyone remembers the PHILIPS Fidelio X3...
This was a unique Fidelio, as it was not a V-shaped Bass Canon, whereas the previous incarnations, were really "V" shaped, but sound very good.
I'd take all 3 of the Phillips Fidelio's over something like a MSR7 Audio Technica, or M50.
But on the other Hand, i'd take a Sendy Peacock over a 1st Gen. Hifiman Stealth, all day and night, forever.
I think only Z-Reviews and myself, mostly enjoyed the Sendy Peacock, .. whereas Joshua V. ... and DMS and The Headphone Show, and all the other "big review guns"... (wink)....HATED the Sendy Peacock.
I like it.
Its a unique sound, and i generally like unique sounding Headphones.
Another one i like a lot is the CrossZone CZ-1.
It has a very unique sound, and i really like it.
Its not a Susvara or a Utopia or a LCD-5 or a ZMF Caldera, ,... so, i dont expect it to be one..... and they can't do what it does... regarding your listening enjoyment.

You know, a few Years ago the Meze Empyrean came out and it became the instant gold standard, until "they" decided that it "isnt that good".'
"They" now tell you....."well all the other TOT's" have more DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL DETAL....'"""""""
You've heard that and read that.... and maybe that is not so important, as THEY think it is......
So, "they" decided that because its not a Susvara or a Utopia, detail wise, then "they" concluded for you... that the MEZE Empyrean....can't be " all that good".
But when "they" first reviewed it, "they" all said it was amazing.
And it is., but its not a set of microscopes, and the "headphone industry", has been trying to make you believe that if the gear is not chasing that last slice of detail retrieval at the expense of "it just sounds good", then you have wasted your money.
So, "they" are wrong about that, Reader.

Reader, just allow each set of Headphones to be what they are, and enjoy each VOICE.. as that is what they are producing for you.
Each has their own Voice.. and some you will not like and some you will love.
Its just like hearing a SINGER.
Not everyone loves STING's Voice, or Adele's Voice, ...
Its the same with headphones.
Just enjoy them, or sell them..
And have fun on the way there...:)

So, the V3 Fidelio, and this Fiio, possess some sonic similarities.
Both are rich, warm, and smooth. Both are made for listening, and not for dissecting.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #24 of 50
Interesting and informative review, as usual. I really appreciate the X3, for the same reasons you described. Could you do a comparison between Fidelio and FT5 (upgrade or sidegrade, in your opinion)? I would also like to know if changing the earcups is complicated or easy.

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #25 of 50
Interesting and informative review, as usual. I really appreciate the X3, for the same reasons you described. Could you do a comparison between Fidelio and FT5 (upgrade or sidegrade, in your opinion)? I would also like to know if changing the earcups is complicated or easy.

The X3 has less bass then the FT5.
Both are warm, comfortable, and have a soft leading edge to their sound, which is partially responsible for them both being perceived sonically, as warm vs detailed.
Its always the case that a sharp or hard leading edge is not conducive to how the ear perceives a "warm sound".
Usually, a sharp leading edge, is based on recessed midrange and elevated Treble.

Probably,... and i say this cautiously, ... as i dont try to sell headphones, i just try to review them..... if you like the X3, you'll also enjoy the FT5.
Or, if you prefer Audeze vs Hifiman, then the same holds true.

And, the pads on the FT5 are nothing like dealing with the annoying ZMF pads, regarding changing them... as the FT5 pads are actually a smart design, and you just "click" them out and "click" in the other set.
Seriously easy to do.... Its one more design feature that proves the FT5 was engineered/designed to be easy to listen to and easy to use.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #26 of 50
The X3 has less bass then the FT5.
Both are warm, comfortable, and have a soft leading edge to their sound, which is partially responsible for them both being perceived sonically, as warm vs detailed.
Its always the case that a sharp or hard leading edge is not conducive to how the ear perceives a "warm sound".
Usually, a sharp leading edge, is based on recessed midrange and elevated Treble.

Probably,... and i say this cautiously, ... as i dont try to sell headphones, i just try to review them..... if you like the X3, you'll also enjoy the FT5.
Or, if you prefer Audeze vs Hifiman, then the same holds true.

And, the pads on the FT5 are nothing like dealing with the annoying ZMF pads, regarding changing them... as the FT5 pads are actually a smart design, and you just "click" them out and "click" in the other set.
Seriously easy to do.... Its one more design feature that proves the FT5 was engineered/designed to be easy to listen to and easy to use.
This is the second instance in which you describe the Fidelio X3 as “warm vs detailed” and I hear absolutely the opposite 😅 … I don’t hear anything like an Audeze warmth in the X3 at all, to the contrary they are detailed and slightly cold and lean, definitely more classic HiFiMAN than Audeze.

I have heard multiple people on the other hand call the FT5 dark so your impressions there agree with others, but I’ve been confused every time you compare these to the X3 and put them in the same camp of warm sonically.

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #27 of 50
This is the second instance in which you describe the Fidelio X3 as “warm vs detailed” and I hear absolutely the opposite 😅

All ears hear things differently.
"sound science" is a bit of an anomaly, because its perspective based.

For example, there are reviews like "The Headphone Show" who stated that the LCD-5, is the '"""best sounding Audeze.""",,, as he's the same one that said that the HEDDphone is "going to change everything".
So, that's what EARS do.... they like what they like, and not all of them like the same sound.
And to my ears, it sounds like Audeze tried to copy a Diana V1-V2 and ... did. = LCD-5.
I really really dislike the LCD-5's sound... but others, go to bed at night with it happily strapped to their ears...

So, if the LCD-5 makes you smile, then im happy for you.... enjoy your gear :).... and i'll enjoy mine.

There are even people who decide they "wont like the sound of the New Audeze, or ZMF, or whatever" because they looked at a graph., and never actually heard the headphone.
So, to each their on....
Whatever floats your boat and gets your jam on....
Im good if you're good....
Its all good....

However...., the X3, as compared to the previous 2 Fidelio's, is a completely different sound,
This is why if you read the Reviews, of the X3, here on Headfi and online, you'll discover that this 3rd edition was mostly attacked for : "Not sounding like the other 2".
And the other 2, are extreme "V" shape... whereas the X3, isn't. And that's because Philip's changed the tone of the X3 dramatically, by bringing up the mids, and softening the Treble.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #28 of 50

For example, there are reviews like "The Headphone Show" who stated that the LCD-5, is the '"""best sounding Audeze."""
I almost laughed out loud when i heard Him state that, as he's the same one that said that the HEDDphone is "going to change everything".
So, that's what EARS do.... they like what they like, and not all of them like the same sound.
And to my ears, it sounds like Audeze tried to copy a Diana V1 and ... did. = LCD-5.
I really really dislike the LCD-5's sound... but others, go to bed at night with it happily strapped to their ears...

So, if the LCD-5 makes you smile, then im happy for you.... enjoy your gear :).... and i'll enjoy mine.

There are even people who decide they "wont like the sound of the New Audeze, or ZMF, or whatever" because they looked at a graph., and never actually heard the headphone.
So, to each their on....
Its all good....

However...., the X3, as compared to the previous 2 Fidelio's, is a completely different sound,
This is why if you read the Reviews, of the X3, here on Headfi and online, you'll discover that this 3rd edition was mostly attacked for : "Not sounding like the other 2".
And the other 2, are extreme "V" shape... whereas the X3, isn't. And that's because Philip's changed the tone of the X3 dramatically, by bringing up the mids, and softening the Treble.
Agree about the X3 sound.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #29 of 50

For example, there are reviews like "The Headphone Show" who stated that the LCD-5, is the '"""best sounding Audeze.""",,, as he's the same one that said that the HEDDphone is "going to change everything".
And to my ears, it sounds like Audeze tried to copy a Diana V1-V2 and ... did. = LCD-5.

So, to each their on....
Its all good....

Yes, I had the Fidelio X2 — and the X3 was definitely a departure from THAT — but, “warm” and lacking detail isn’t the direction they went.

Yes, less V-shaped, but it sounds a lot closer to lean and cool and with plenty of treble detail, just not as sharp as the top end on the exaggerated V of the X2, and I don’t understand your characterization of the X3 as warm.

When you compare the FT5, I would be less surprised if you compared them to the LCD-2 Classic than the X3 — given how you describe the FT5 (which agrees with other impressions) and having the X3 myself.

I do enjoy your posts and usually agree with your impressions on many headphones I’ve also heard — this is the only time I remember thinking, what?? 😅

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back