FiiO = FT5 Planar : Initial Impressions
Nov 24, 2023 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
11-24-2023

Here are my initial impressions of the FiiO FT5 Planar Headphones.

Power them : OppO HA-1

Box : Its nice for the price.
Carrying case : Its very nice for the price, feels like leather ?, but, ... you decide if you buy it.
Cable : Its nice for the price, its cloth, its about 1.5Meters, obo.... its 4.4mm Balanced and it has a $50-USD XLR Adaptor, included.

Pads : 2 Sets .. Cloth/Alcantara (possibly) and.... Pleather. Both are comfy, but not designed for very large ears.

Frame : Metal

Clamping force : Mildly firm.

Sound :.........................................................................

Unless stated differently, this informal review is based on the FT5 with the stock Cloth Pads, attached.

1.) The factory installed Cloth Pads produce a lush slightly dark chocolate sound, with nice treble and overall nice detail retrieval. Bass is slightly elevated but not into the "Bass canon" sonic realm.

2.) The Pleather pads produce copious slam and sub.. So, if you like BIG bass, then the FT5 with the pleather is going to slam you.

So, what has FiiO created here......???
They have created a fairly comfy set of headphones, that are engineered to produce : 2 sound signatures.
Once is : Cloth Pads....Tonally warmer, rich and full... while offering nice resolution and detail retrieval.
The Cloth pads are for more "relaxed listening" , while offering nice resolution and clarity.
The Bass (Pleather) pads are for slam and sub and EDM and House, and when you want to feel it then put them on and you will.

The FiiO's Tonality overall, is very mildly dark and full and rich, and very pleasant. Its nothing like a Hifiman HEK, or a HD560S, which all lack lack substantial warmth regarding their midrange performance.

If you like Bright, then these may not satisfy you.
If you enjoy somewhat sonically rich, warm, and full, then these will give it to you and produce a high end that is quite clear and detailed.

Treble : Never harsh, somewhat sweet with good extension, , and vocal clarity and cymbals accuracy, is very good.

Midrange : Slightly Darkly detailed, yet very pleasant. Id say its a step behind the Bass response.

Bass and Sub : The upper bass is not recessed, and.. the Sub Bass is extended and can Slam if you put on the Pleather pads.
The Bass performance with the Cloth Pads is also well extended, full, deep, and smooth.

Sound Stage : Medium... and better then the LCD-5, and wider then the Diana or Diana V2. Not Senn HD800 wide,, and that allows for some of the FT5's extra fullness and richness, to be perceived.
Its a more intimate soundstage that is also quite immersive.

Timbre' : Its actually very good.

Who is going to love this headphone?

This is the person who can accept that a good sounding gear does not have to cost $3000 USD, and who literally understands that each Headphone model has its own voice and should be appreciated based on what it provides, vs, "as compared to" others. This person needs to be able to enjoy something that sounds musical, is detailed, and is full and warm vs : neutral/reference.

Offhand, i can't think of a set of headphones, (using the included Cloth pads) that offer such rich and slightly dark= sweet sound, and still have enough treble and micro detail.
What the Fiio FT5 is producing, using the Stock Cloth Pads, is hours of listening enjoyment, vs, "detail machine only" that you can't listen to for more than an hour.

Do i recommend the Fii0 FT5 ?

I would recommend it if you liked the Meze Empyrean, as the FT5, has some similarities, but, it has more clarity, overall.

I do suggest you check them out if you are not looking for that "one Holy Grail set",... but instead understand and can enjoy having a few sets, that all have different voices and different points of Sonic view, = is the one most excellent way to enjoy your (headphone obsession.)

-
-
DSC00548.JPG
DSC00549.JPG
DSC00550.JPG
DSC00551.JPG
DSC00552.JPG
DSC00553.JPG
DSC00554.JPG
DSC00555.JPG
DSC00556.JPG
DSC00557.JPG

-
-

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 50
11-24-2023

Here are my initial impressions of the FiiO FT5 Planar Headphones.

Power them : OppO HA-1

Box : Its nice for the price.
Carrying case : Its very nice for the price, feels like leather ?, but, ... you decide if you buy it.
Cable : Its nice for the price, its cloth, its about 1.5Meters, obo.... its 4.4mm Balanced and it has a $50-USD XLR Adaptor, included.

Pads : 2 Sets .. Cloth/Alcantara (possibly) and.... Pleather. Both are comfy, but not designed for very large ears.

Frame : Metal

Clamping force : Comfy

Sound :.........................................................................

Unless stated differently, this informal review is based on the FT5 with the stock Cloth Pads, attached.

1.) The factory installed Cloth Pads produce a lush slightly dark chocolate sound, with nice treble and overall nice detail retrieval. Bass is slightly elevated but not into the "Bass canon" sonic realm.

2.) The Pleather pads produce copious slam and sub, yet do not infringe upon the already warm mids. So, if you like good bass, then the FT5 with the pleather is going to give it to you.

So, what has FiiO created here......
They have created a very comfy set of headphones, that feel good, and does not seem inexpensive, regarding their cost.
Its obvious to me that they are engineered to produce : 2 sound signatures.
Once is : Tonally warmer, rich and full... while offering nice resolution and detail retrieval.
The Cloth pads are for more "relaxed listening" , while offering nice resolution and clarity.
The Bass (Pleather) pads are for slam and sub and EDM and House, and when you want to feel it, then put them on and you will.

The FiiO's Tonality overall, is very mildly dark, but very pleasant. and nothing like a Hifiman HEK, that all lack lack any type of warmth in their midrange.

If you like Bright, then these may not satisfy you.
If you enjoy somewhat sonically rich, warm, and full, then these will give it to you.

Treble : Never harsh, somewhat sweet good extension, , and vocal clarity and cymbals, are quite revealed.

Midrange : Slightly Darkly detailed, yet very pleasant

Bass and Sub : The upper bass is not recessed and.. the Sub Bass is extended and can Slam if you put on the Pleather pads.
The Bass with the Cloth Pads is extended, full, deep, and smooth.

Sound Stage : Medium... and better then the LCD-5, and wider then the Diana or Diana V2. Not Senn HD800 wide,, and that allows for some of the FT5's extra fullness and richness, to be perceived.

Timbre' : Its actually very good.

Who is going to love this headphone? This is the person who can accept that a good sounding gear does not have to cost $3000 USD, and who literally understands that each Headphone model has its own voice and should be appreciated based on what it provides, vs, "as compared to" others. This person needs to be able to enjoy something that sounds musical, is detailed, and is somewhat warm vs neutral.

Offhand, i can't think of a set of headphones, (using the included Cloth pads) that offer such rich and slightly dark= sweet sound, and still have enough treble and micro detail.
What the Fiio FT5 is producing, using the Stock Cloth Pads, is hours of listening enjoyment, vs, "detail machine only" that you can't listen to for more than an hour.

Do i recommend the Fii0 FT5 ?

I would recommend it if you liked the Meze Empyrean, as the FT5, has some similarities, but, it has more clarity, overall.

I do suggest you check them out if you are not looking for that "one Holy Grail set",... but instead understand and can enjoy having a few sets, that all have different voices and different points of Sonic view, = is the one most excellent way to enjoy your (headphone obsession.)

-
-DSC00548.JPGDSC00549.JPGDSC00550.JPGDSC00551.JPGDSC00552.JPGDSC00553.JPGDSC00554.JPGDSC00555.JPGDSC00556.JPGDSC00557.JPG
-
-
Nice review. Another one to pique my interest. Mmmm...

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 50
Thank you for the review. These are on my list. I had (and sold) the FT3's. I liked them a lot, but found the ear cups a tad too small.
These are much better, and much different regarding SQ.,
The FT5 Cups are still not large. They are comfy, but, not designed for larger ears.

Fii0 has managed to create inside the FT5's Cups, a warm and rich tonality that also possesses very good clarity and nicely detailed Treble that is quite extended.

And speaking of the FT5's Treble.....

One of my "new headphones" Test Tracks, is a Love Ballad by Sheryl Crow and Sting, from about '2009. I really like this song...I never get tired of the sound, the production, the lyrics.... And i pay specific attention to how my headphones handle her voice and his.. as some add too much treble and both singers sound = "SSSSSSSSS".
But the better FR Headphones, dont produce much of that, but they do produce a very detailed and airy tonality when Sherry and Sting take the lead vocal.

Also, the beginning/opening of this song is just Sheryl and the Piano.. And headphones that are too bright deny the piano any wamth, and with the FT5's the piano is sweet, and warm, and not overly detailed, which is good.
And Sheryl, is probably using Rupert NEVE compression on her Condenser Vocal Mic... The Neve 1076 is basically an antique , that has been used on countless vocals for a long time., and will continue to be used.
It has this way of leveling a vocal, and you can hear it lightly "click" as its "doing it magic" when the singer is singing, = you can hear this slight compressing of her vocals through the Neve 1076, if the Treble and resolution of your headphones, is well created....
If not, then its too much of the Neve magic that you can hear, or its not there at all, if your headphones are not very detailed.
The FT5's produce Sheryl's vocal and Sting's , beautifully.
-

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 50
Another of my Test Tracks, is this song.
Its a Synth Pop ballad.
What i listen for is.., "does the low end in the Track, which is very strong and dominate, allow the vocals to be heard clearly. ??
IN this case, the FT5 produces a clear vocal, and the syths/drums are THICK and warm.
-
-

I don't suppose you have any Florence + The Machine do you?

I have two of her songs in my test list:
1) Drumming Song
2) I'm Not Calling You A Liar

I would be Really curious how these 'phones do with her music as it very full. Think horn section, back up vocalists, multiple drummers, multiple guitarists and a full size harp.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 50
I don't suppose you have any Florence + The Machine do you?

I have two of her songs in my test list:
1) Drumming Song
2) I'm Not Calling You A Liar

I would be Really curious how these 'phones do with her music as it very full. Think horn section, back up vocalists, multiple drummers, multiple guitarists and a full size harp.

Thanks.

I listened to those songs from the "Deluxe" version release.

In both cases, the songs sound organic, vs wide and epic.
They sound warm and full, vs, airy and euphonic, on the FT5.

So, i have no idea what you use to listen to Florance, but, if you are using any of the Hifiman gear, other then the Susvara, all the HEK's and so forth produce a wider soundstage then is truth.....so, in the case of the FT5, the sound is much more Audeze (thick) , and nothing like a Hifiman Bright.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 50
I listened to those songs from the "Deluxe" version release.

In both cases, the songs sound organic, vs wide and epic.
They sound warm and full, vs, airy and euphonic, on the FT5.

So, i have no idea what you use to listen to Florance, but, if you are using any of the Hifiman gear, other then the Susvara, all the HEK's and so forth produce a wider soundstage then is truth.....so, in the case of the FT5, the sound is much more Audeze then Hifiman..

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Right now my current rotation is:
HiFiman HE6se V2's Grado GH2's
Nectar Ambrosia's Sennheiser HD660S2's Meze 109 Pro's
iBasso SR2's
Focal Clear's (OG).
I normally change headphones every week.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 50
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 50
Thank you.

Right now my current rotation is:
HiFiman HE6se V2's Grado GH2's
Nectar Ambrosia's Sennheiser HD660S2's Meze 109 Pro's
iBasso SR2's
Focal Clear's (OG).
I normally change headphones every week.

The FT5 sounds nothing like you current selection of Headphones, as your headphone's listed, tend toward a Brighter FR., and the FT5, does not.

Its warm, full, and projects a more intimate sound-stage similar to an Audeze LCD-2, and the trebles are extended, however, nothing about the sound of this Fiio is bright.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 50
The FT5 sounds nothing like you current selection of Headphones, as your headphone's listed, tend toward a Brighter FR., and the FT5, does not.

Its warm, full, and projects a more intimate sound-stage similar to an Audeze LCD-2, and the trebles are extended, however, nothing about the sound of this Fiio is bright.
Thanks for the reply!

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 50
Very nice review FB1.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 50

I just read a review that stated that the headphone plugs are proprietary. That is the first I have ever heard that. Is that correct? I use Hart Audio cables and doubt he is making any cables for FiiO headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back