FIIO first cassette player CP13 is officially released!
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #46 of 417
Yes, many of mine are ripped but some good ones aren't but I don't feel like going through the boxes and boxes of CDs. My wife asks me when I am going to get rid of them. I told her just today, the kids will want them at which she rolled her eyes and laughed. I know they don't want them but not many buyers now. I have some well recorded CDs that I ripped and the sound is excellent.
I only keep mine because I read if you rip them you still need to keep the originals or you no longer have the licence to own and therefore breaching copyright, not sure if that's true or not.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #47 of 417
Seriously? Who would choose to listen to cassette these days unless it's something obscure not on other formats, or not transferable to other formats.

Next I can throw my phone out and go back to a calculator.. Hell with that, where's my old abacus. 🤣

Seriously though, best of luck to Fiio with trying this anyway.
I understand what you're saying. But as you get older nostalgia can be healthy. Especially as you come to grips with your own mortality and the realization that you've lived more than half your life. I still remember my first Hifi system in the 1970's and sitting in my den with the lights out listening to Alison Steele (The Nightbird) spinning Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers at WNEW, while I recorded them as I watched all the pretty lights on my Marantz 2230, Teac A2300 reel to reel and Aiwa M700B cassette deck. Life was a lot simpler back then. 😊

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #48 of 417
Agree, CD's are still great for majority and when they came out were a WOW vs what we had with analogue cassette.

I ripped all my CD's ages ago and stored the CD's in loft never to see light of day again.

I think most people who compare analogue formats with digital formats are missing the point by a country mile.

We all know and appreciate digital/hi-res sources and we all accept vinyl/cassette doesn't come anywhere near close for clarity, resolution and frequency response and brings in audible caveats and disbenefits.
The point about vinyl/cassette is the fact that it has a sound signature and character set all of its' own.
It's a tactile medium. LP's smell great and they're nice to hold and look at. There's a whole arduous procedure of loading up a vinyl record or cassette that for some, is also a hugely rewarding process.

Personally, for myself, vinyl and cassette have never been away. I grew up with them and thankfully never lost interest in these formats and still cherish and enjoy using them today. Call it nostalgia. I don't care.
I also love listening to DSD files through my LCD2f's and find the experience just as rewarding but in a totally different way than when listening to the same music on the older formats.

Comparing analogue and digital formats is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Some people like eating cheese and some people like eating chalk!
:dt880smile:

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #49 of 417
I understand what you're saying. But as you get older nostalgia can be healthy. Especially as you come to grips with your own mortality and the realization that you've lived more than half your life. I still remember my first Hifi system in 1970's and sitting in my den with the lights out listening to Alison Steele (The Nightbird) spinning Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers at WNEW, while I recorded them as I watched all the pretty lights on my Marantz 2230, Teac A2300 reel to reel and Aiwa M700B cassette deck. Life was a lot simpler back then. 😊
Appreciate, some people pay a small fortune on old Fiesta's, Sierra's etc, to do up and revisit their youth. I tend to look forward rather than back, but appreciate we are all different.

I think most people who compare analogue formats with digital formats are missing the point by a country mile.

We all know and appreciate digital/hi-res sources and we all accept vinyl/cassette doesn't come anywhere near close for clarity, resolution and frequency response and brings in audible caveats and disbenefits.
The point about vinyl/cassette is the fact that it has a sound signature and character set all of its' own.
It's a tactile medium. LP's smell great and they're nice to hold and look at. There's a whole arduous procedure of loading up a vinyl record or cassette that for some, is also a hugely rewarding process.

Personally, for myself, vinyl and cassette have never been away. I grew up with them and thankfully never lost interest in these formats and still cherish and enjoy using them today. Call it nostalgia. I don't care.
I also love listening to DSD files through my LCD2f's and find the experience just as rewarding but in a totally different way than when listening to the same music on the older formats.

Comparing analogue and digital formats is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Some people like eating cheese and some people like eating chalk!
:dt880smile:
Oh I appreciate it, it's called noise which we strive to eliminate with our high end DAP's coupled with ever more resolving IEM's.

Wife has loads of old 60's vinyl from her teens, some maybe even worth a bit, bought her a record deck few years back but too much hassle and she's just totally bought into convenience of Spotify anyway. Saying that, she doesn't pursue audio perfection as we do in these forums.

Personally, no interest in what my music media smells like 😁, but again, appreciate the tactile collectability, cover artwork etc. means a lot to some.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #50 of 417
I am curious as to why? I do admit, that for CDs, I still have around 4,000 and most in excellent condition but they aren't used.
I keep my late Dad's Naim CDi around just for playing the 100 or so CDs I have. The CDi is thirty years old but built like a tank and still great sounding with a quality silver disc. Besides, it was my Dad's 😊

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #51 of 417
I keep my late Dad's Naim CDi around just for playing the 100 or so CDs I have. The CDi is thirty years old but built like a tank and still great sounding with a quality silver disc. Besides, it was my Dad's 😊
I got my dad's railway books 🫣 plus musically, not a fan of his Nana Mouskouri or Engelbert Humperdinck cassettes 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #52 of 417
That sort of resonates with me.
I was never allowed in the same room as, let alone be allowed to use my dad's Dragon.
So when I grew up and could afford it I bought one of my own. Which then spawned a couple more.

:sunglasses:
IMG_20210302_142140_1.jpg

I got my dad's railway books 🫣 plus musically, not a fan of Nana Mouskouri or Engelbert Humperdinck cassettes 🤣
Name your price!
lool

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #53 of 417
I was never allowed in the same room as, let alone be allowed to use my dad's Dragon.
So when I grew up and could afford it I bought one of my own. Which then spawned a couple more.

Name your price!
lool
Play/Pause, Volume +/- and Next/Prev are the only buttons I ever want.

I only use my Sony DAP in Direct Mode and never use all the audio tweaks/EQ either!

But, glad you love your hobby.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #54 of 417

Love it! I owned a Dragon back in the 1990's. Great sounding machine. I also had a ZX9 which was close
to the Dragon sonically but not quite there. Simpler to maintain though. My late Dad's ZX7 was serviced years ago and then stored.
I inherited it after he passed on. A wonderful machine in its own right but not quite at the level of the Dragon. Almost on par with the ZX9 though.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #55 of 417
Love it! I owned a Dragon back in the 1990's. Great sounding machine. I also had a ZX9 which was close
to the Dragon sonically but not quite there. Simpler to maintain though. My late Dad's ZX7 was serviced years ago and then stored.
I inherited it after he passed on. A wonderful machine in its own right but not quite at the level of the Dragon. Almost on par with the ZX9 though.
Nice!
To be honest - the Dragon, ZX7, ZX9, CR7 are all great decks and there isn't a massive difference in SQ. It's really only the feature-set and mechanicals that distinguishes them from each other.
I'm currently restoring a CR4 and a CR3. Sound-wise they're tip top and I'm looking forward to ABX'ing them all with a Dragon when completed.
I was already using the CR4 as the main PB deck to save wear and tear on the Dragons heads.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #56 of 417
I understand what you're saying. But as you get older nostalgia can be healthy. Especially as you come to grips with your own mortality and the realization that you've lived more than half your life. I still remember my first Hifi system in the 1970's and sitting in my den with the lights out listening to Alison Steele (The Nightbird) spinning Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers at WNEW, while I recorded them as I watched all the pretty lights on my Marantz 2230, Teac A2300 reel to reel and Aiwa M700B cassette deck. Life was a lot simpler back then. 😊
I still have that 2230 - still sounds good!

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #57 of 417
Let's go back 39 years to 1984 - Walkman SONY WM-W800
Two-bay, recording + playback, stepper motor, tantalum capacitors, selection of tape type: normal, chrome, metal and Dolby NR...
spec:
  • Number of Transistors
  • Semiconductors present
    • Semiconductors
    • Main principle
    • Audio-Amplification
    • Wave bands
    • - without
    • Details
    • Cassette-Recorder or -Player
    • Power type and voltage
    • Batteries / addl. power jack / AA: 2 x 1,5 / 3 Volt
    • Loudspeaker
    • - For headphones or amp.
    • Power out
    • 0.016 W (undistorted)
    • Material
    • Plastics (no bakelite or catalin)
    • from Radiomuseum.org
    • Model: Walkman Stereo Cassette Corder WM-W800 - Sony Corporation; Tokyo
    • Shape
    • Very small Portable or Pocket-Set (Handheld) < 8 inch.
    • Dimensions (WHD)
    • 116 x 88.7 x 38.2 mm / 4.6 x 3.5 x 1.5 inch
    • Notes
    • Sony Double-Cassette Walkman Model WM-W800.
      Frequency Response: Deck A (Dolby NR off 40-15000Hz)
      Deck B 60-9000Hz
      Power Requirements:
      3V DC (2x 1,5V, AA)
      Sony AC-02 AC Power Adaptor (optional):
      US, Canadian - 120V AC, 60Hz
      AEP - 220V AC, 50Hz
      UK - 240V, 50Hz
      Sony EBP-500 Battery Case (Optional) for use on two IEC designation R20 batteries (size D)
      Sony DCC-70 car battery cord (optional) for use with 12V car battery
    • Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
    • 0.350 kg / 0 lb 12.3 oz (0.771 lb)
1702590871960.png

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #58 of 417
Hiss included? I miss the hiss.

As many of you know we are going to make cassette player, we are now trying our best to work out the production issues. We plan to release our CP13 before Feb, 2024. Considering that some people don't have tapes, we'll be giving away a copyrighted, original tape in countries that are allowed to give away tapes at sales events! Any idea about what you need for a cassette player, pls feel free to let us know. Let's revel in the timeless tunes, experience the soulful melodies.

CP130.jpg
1.png
I would get one only if it has a DAC so I can hit that REC+PLAY like the good ol mixtape making days. Keep the DAC section for REC purposes only... ONLY.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #59 of 417
Agree, CD's are still great for majority and when they came out were a WOW vs what we had with analogue cassette.

I ripped all my CD's ages ago and stored the CD's in loft never to see light of day again.

Saying that, I know many still sware by using paper novels while I just use Kindle.

Can't do with all the storage needed vs a 1GB mSD card. 😉 (or my 24TB bulk HDD storage for film, music, photos etc.).

PS. All remotely backed-up to before anyone comments.
when you die they will prob cease to exist. i enjoy getting all the old photo prints out of memories. i think that is something lost with digital

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #60 of 417
Nice!
To be honest - the Dragon, ZX7, ZX9, CR7 are all great decks and there isn't a massive difference in SQ. It's really only the feature-set and mechanicals that distinguishes them from each other.
I'm currently restoring a CR4 and a CR3. Sound-wise they're tip top and I'm looking forward to ABX'ing them all with a Dragon when completed.
I was already using the CR4 as the main PB deck to save wear and tear on the Dragons heads.

That'll be an interesting comparison. 👍

The decks you mention are IMHO the best sounding cassette decks ever made for the money. What I really appreciate is that spare parts are still available for the top line Naks. I still have an old 700 Tri Tracer from around 1973 that needs a full service. Not at the same level sonically as some of the Naks you've mentioned but still very acceptable when working properly. Cosmetically it's in excellent shape. One of these days I'll get around to sending it in for an overhaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back