FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #977 of 2,258
I received these babies today. Those are piece of jewellery. The build quality is immaculate. The Premium balanced cable is also excellent. The pairing with WM1Z and ZX300 is captivating. I did not like Byeardynamic Xelento but I love FH5. Those are really great value IEMS. Well done Fiio.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #978 of 2,258
Too much roll off in the treble dept. for my liking.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #983 of 2,258
Do fiio do a 3.5mm balanced cable in the uk ? for fh5 I have a 2.5mm balanced on order from fiios shop on amazon (for my pioneer xdp300r) but i also have an ifiifi xdsd which has its balanced on a 3.5mm socket.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #984 of 2,258
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #985 of 2,258
Enjoying my FH5 for almost a week now...

Long reader here on head-fi, no many posts, I had read all the thread, in fact, I was looking for a good pair of IEMs and when i bump into this thread I checked in my country an found one store that has this, in fact, I bought the first pair and they didn't have a demo unit because they arrived the day before haha... I'm more than happy with this IEMs, I have tried and demo some units before but didn't want to spend that amount of money (around 400 to 500 USD range) but this came almost as cheap as buying them on aliexpress around 250 USD at the change of that day in my country with everything on (import fees, taxes, etc)...

My first impressions are like the most people in the forum, vocals are well defined and forward, the signature I would say is kinda bright BUT and this is a big BUT, if I put a small amount of pressure on this and they seal correctly I get a totally different signature (at least to my ears), I get a way better bass and the brightness smooth just perfect for me... the thing is that like other users had stated I can't get this to fit and seal completely (I tried all the sizes included in the box) currently using the Bass Tips in the M size... I'm looking for a good tip probably will try to get the Symbio ear tips by MandarinES, being overseas is kinda a PITA when trying to buy it would be nice to see this tips on Amazon.

I have listened to various styles including classical, oldies, some pop, house, acid jazz, jazz, EDM, some rock, some country, some relaxation music, well I listen to almost any kind of music genre except for the reggaeton.

My only "issue" for now is the isolation, the rest I have to say is exactly what I was looking love the detail and the overall signature of this IEMs, I have played a little bit with the EQ as some recommendations here but I found myself disabling the EQ and pressing down a little bit this to my ears and I like a lot the sound that came from this IEM's. also, they are super comfortable I can use them for hours without feeling any kind of fatigue.

For now, I just need to found a good pair of tips ideally silicone or silicone with foam inside (like the Symbio W that other user had try)... in the future probably I will try a different cable but for, now I'm very pleased.

Some Artists listened with the FH5's. (not in a particular order).

Afterlife
Rammstein
Adele
Benny Golson
Daft Punk
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Bloomfield
Edith Piaf
Fleetwood Mac
Incubus
Ja Rule
James Blunt
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Nat King Cole
Massive Attack
Rob Zombie
Rush
Micheal Jackson
Diana Krall
etc....and some OST from a couple of movies

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #986 of 2,258
Enjoying my FH5 for almost a week now...

Long reader here on head-fi, no many posts, I had read all the thread, in fact, I was looking for a good pair of IEMs and when i bump into this thread I checked in my country an found one store that has this, in fact, I bought the first pair and they didn't have a demo unit because they arrived the day before haha... I'm more than happy with this IEMs, I have tried and demo some units before but didn't want to spend that amount of money (around 400 to 500 USD range) but this came almost as cheap as buying them on aliexpress around 250 USD at the change of that day in my country with everything on (import fees, taxes, etc)...

My first impressions are like the most people in the forum, vocals are well defined and forward, the signature I would say is kinda bright BUT and this is a big BUT, if I put a small amount of pressure on this and they seal correctly I get a totally different signature (at least to my ears), I get a way better bass and the brightness smooth just perfect for me... the thing is that like other users had stated I can't get this to fit and seal completely (I tried all the sizes included in the box) currently using the Bass Tips in the M size... I'm looking for a good tip probably will try to get the Symbio ear tips by MandarinES, being overseas is kinda a PITA when trying to buy it would be nice to see this tips on Amazon.

I have listened to various styles including classical, oldies, some pop, house, acid jazz, jazz, EDM, some rock, some country, some relaxation music, well I listen to almost any kind of music genre except for the reggaeton.

My only "issue" for now is the isolation, the rest I have to say is exactly what I was looking love the detail and the overall signature of this IEMs, I have played a little bit with the EQ as some recommendations here but I found myself disabling the EQ and pressing down a little bit this to my ears and I like a lot the sound that came from this IEM's. also, they are super comfortable I can use them for hours without feeling any kind of fatigue.

For now, I just need to found a good pair of tips ideally silicone or silicone with foam inside (like the Symbio W that other user had try)... in the future probably I will try a different cable but for, now I'm very pleased.

Some Artists listened with the FH5's. (not in a particular order).

Afterlife
Rammstein
Adele
Benny Golson
Daft Punk
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Bloomfield
Edith Piaf
Fleetwood Mac
Incubus
Ja Rule
James Blunt
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Nat King Cole
Massive Attack
Rob Zombie
Rush
Micheal Jackson
Diana Krall
etc....and some OST from a couple of movies

If pressing down helps them seal, then it sounds like some part of your ear is pressing back.

In my case, it was the inferior crus (the second sharp fold above the canal). The spiral dynamic “S.TURBO” transmission line occupies that space. I was able to get a seal with the L bass tips when I added a ~2 mm DIY spacer to the base of the nozzle (cut from the stem of the M bass tips), which extended the tips further into the canal.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #987 of 2,258
If pressing down helps them seal, then it sounds like some part of your ear is pressing back.

In my case, it was the inferior crus (the second sharp fold above the canal). The spiral dynamic “S.TURBO” transmission line occupies that space. I was able to get a seal with the L bass tips when I added a ~2 mm DIY spacer to the base of the nozzle (cut from the stem of the M bass tips), which extended the tips further into the canal.

You are right I have been playing with the way I put the IEMs and I can get to seal but then my ear will put them back and break the seal... I saw your modification but I don't want to try it (just yet) Is like if I rotate the IEMs a little bit they do the seal (Bass Tips M) but I can't maintain the IEMs that way...

trying to be more precise it seems that is some part of my outer ear that is likely pushing them out a little bit, they stop almost getting to the ear canal and then the Concha (correct me if this is not the right word in English) is making them go out and break the seal... :pensive: if I put the S tips they get way too loose and the L is a no go... the foam tips or comply tips included are all M and they seem to get in place putting them and waiting to expand for around 30 to 40 seconds but then I can feel how they get out, probably something like and S comply will do the trick, the good thing is that is just the seal and not the way the FH5s sit on the ear themselves because they are (to me) comfortables.

Thanks for the reply and if I can´t find a tip that makes the seal I would try with the DIY tip.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #988 of 2,258
guys, probably this is super dumb but I just realize that playing around with the angle of the cable makes the fit almost perfect, in fact, I'm just testing some tracks and I'm a happy camper, it seems this were almost designed for my ear (now that they get the correct seal) way to go Fiio...

Now I can enjoy this while I also search and try different ear tips.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #989 of 2,258
Hi guys, please enjoy my FH5 review here. It's an amazing earphone.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...id-in-ear-monitors.23184/reviews#review-20909

FH5-01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back