FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 28, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #586 of 2,258
I wrote this on the IT04 thread. I have both. The FH5 has good, balanced tuning but is a more forward sounding earphone vs the IT04. Vocals are highlighted a bit more so on the FH5. Some might like this but this is due to a slight peak in the 2khz range. Otherwise sound balancing is actualy done well on them. Treble has a slight dryness to it and is tuned well so not to cause any stridancy or fatigue. But it lacks a bit of sparkle in being a bit conservative. Treble is not as extended defined or as smooth/ sweet or silky like the IT04 treble. Mids do sound a bit more forward on them but it was purposfully done to highlight vocals. Layering of the mids is done well but lacks the imaging and precision the IT04 provides. Again resolution is not on par with the IT04 here.

Bass ends both are done well but the IT04 bass end is tighter is better textured and reaches the lowest of lows easier than the FH5. FH5 sub bass is a bit softer, boomier sounding and not as textured or as tight. Mid bass is a bit less than the sub bass on the FH5. Both have good impact in the bass region but neither are overly bass emphasized, both take a more balanced approach to tuning.

FH5 does isolate better than the IT04 but not by a big margin. It is a heavier earphone due to having alloy shells. Ergonomics and fit is a wash as both are supremely comfortable for me.
Stageing of the IT04 wins here as the FH5 gives off mid wide sound. The IT04 does have a wider stage and it is the definition of each of the sound regions that really separates the IT04 from the FH5. Depth wise I feel the IT04 has better depth the FH5 being a fuller sounding earphone can seem a bit up front for some recordings. No such issue with the IT04. Again much more natural sounding as a result.

I do enjoy both earphones but the IT04 is a special earphone, the FH5 is good for the price, very competitive at their price point. However It is the refinements in the IT04 that makes them special combined with that wide sound stage add one of the best balancing I have heard on any earphone and you get what clearly separates the IT04 from an otherwise good for the price performing FH5.
Thanks for the info! It seems like the IT04 might be worth the extra cash over the FH5. I was going back and forth on which one I should get since I sold my F9 Pro's. Your observations tilted me towards the IT04 over the FH5.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #587 of 2,258
After owning both. I decided to keep both. The FH5 has it's own sound which differentiates it from my IT04. It would have been amazing if the FH5 was going to do one over an earphone twice the cost but there is a reason why the IT04 is at the price it is.

FH5 at their price range represents an excellent value and performance. For guys that find the sound a bit warm. Try changing the cables. Might surprise you. Tips play a part in how they sound as well. Try this try that. Once you dial in the sound you like they will sound better for your liking.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #588 of 2,258
After owning both. I decided to keep both. The FH5 has it's own sound which differentiates it from my IT04. It would have been amazing if the FH5 was going to do one over an earphone twice the cost but there is a reason why the IT04 is at the price it is.

FH5 at their price range represents an excellent value and performance. For guys that find the sound a bit warm. Try changing the cables. Might surprise you. Tips play a part in how they sound as well. Try this try that. Once you dial in the sound you like they will sound better for your liking.

I was going to point out the former and I can definitely agree with the latter.

For example, switching the tips from balanced to vocal definitely tightened up the bass for me, and though it may be a placebo or psychoacoustics, I felt like it increased soundstage ever so slightly as well. I haven't tried bass or foam tips, but I will give them a shot to see how they affect the sound as well.

Theres also EQ'ing as has been pointed out, and I find that it just takes a slight adjustment of -2 or -3 at 1k and -4 at 2k (props to Brooko for this tip) to bring things in line in terms of midrange and balance if one doesn't want to fiddle with tips.

In the end, I've found that the FH5 responds well to adjustments like tips and EQ so far, and runs great out of a OnePlus 6.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #589 of 2,258
Deleted.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #591 of 2,258
Got my FH5 few days ago, really excited about them, it's what I was looking for. I have the FH1 and F9 Pro which I both like but find the FH1 a bit tiring in the bass and lacking definitin in the highs. The F9 Pro is the oposite, fast detailed bass but lacking some rumble for the bass guitar and the highs can be a bit too much. The FH5 is the perfect balance for my taste. Strong, detailed bass to make things exciting without getting tiring. I was a bit worried about the highs seeing that some people compared them with FH1 which I found well elevated but lacking details, the FH5 has none of those issues. The highs are really detailed and lively without crossing into the harsh zone, just at the border, perfect. The mids are the star of the show, voices on these are amazing, I don't find them neither warm nor harsh, just well balanced and natural. Can't stop listening to them since I got them.

I was also a bit worried about the size, I have small ears. Had no issues wearing them for hours, to me these are as comfortable as F9.

Also, had some issues with the connectors on my other IEMs from Fiio, glad to see the quality of the new cable. Connectors plug firmly without being too hard to remove. I think the FH5 scratched my itch for a while, great all around pack. Maybe the only thing I would improve on them is the soundstage. By no means do these have a small soundstage, it's actually quite good, but some open sound a la EX1000 would make these a dream. Maybe it's wishful thinking for this type of IEM though.

WfsDONX_d.jpg
S07AipP_d.jpg
EMjeVrG_d.jpg
pOVQ60B_d.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #592 of 2,258
Got my FH5 few days ago, really excited about them, it's what I was looking for. I have the FH1 and F9 Pro which I both like but find the FH1 a bit tiring in the bass and lacking definitin in the highs. The F9 Pro is the oposite, fast detailed bass but lacking some rumble for the bass guitar and the highs can be a bit too much. The FH5 is the perfect balance for my taste. Strong, detailed bass to make things exciting without getting tiring. I was a bit worried about the highs seeing that some people compared them with FH1 which I found well elevated but lacking details, the FH5 has none of those issues. The highs are really detailed and lively without crossing into the harsh zone, just at the border, perfect. The mids are the star of the show, voices on these are amazing, I don't find them neither warm nor harsh, just well balanced and natural. Can't stop listening to them since I got them.

I was also a bit worried about the size, I have small ears. Had no issues wearing them for hours, to me these are as comfortable as F9.

Also, had some issues with the connectors on my other IEMs from Fiio, glad to see the quality of the new cable. Connectors plug firmly without being too hard to remove. I think the FH5 scratched my itch for a while, great all around pack. Maybe the only thing I would improve on them is the soundstage. By no means do these have a small soundstage, it's actually quite good, but some open sound a la EX1000 would make these a dream. Maybe it's wishful thinking for this type of IEM though.

WfsDONX_d.jpg
S07AipP_d.jpg
EMjeVrG_d.jpg
pOVQ60B_d.jpg
i take it that the FH5 is worth the premium over the F9 pro?

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #593 of 2,258
i take it that the FH5 is worth the premium over the F9 pro?

To me it's well worth it as it offers exactly what I was looking for, sound, quality and comfort. I have small ears and can't wear IEMs like IT01 for too long. But for sound alone it is well worth it. I was worried when people said they are closest to the FH1 as I don't find myself listening to them very often. These are in a different league, not even close to FH1 IMO cause I can't stop listening to them. Then again, each person likes a dfiffrent sound signature, for me it is my favorite

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #594 of 2,258
Just so I'm ready to test it when I try them this afternoon, what equalizer do you all recommend for Android?

For local music use PowerAmp or Neutron, both have good EQ. For Spotify and such all the non root EQs suck balls, either distort the sound, lower the volume, don't have enough bands or straight don't work . Tried them all. If you can root Viper4Android is great, if you get it to work. Beware, it's a pain to get it working and may disable your HiFi Dac on certain devices. I recomend James DSP instead, a breaze to install by comparison if you are rooted and has most V4A features including impulse response file support.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #598 of 2,258

Took these for the amazon review (to get the cable) but I'll be taking others and posting more thoughts in the case I do a full review.

They really are gorgeous.

thanks for your kindly review so other people can know well about FH5.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #599 of 2,258
For those who have already get the FiiO FH5, do not forget to follow a few simple steps to join the activity and get a gift worth $32.99: http://fiio.net/en/story/668

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back