FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,577 of 2,258
Not trying to start a flame war - just stating the blatantly obvious. Shure are among the best engineers on the planet as far as audio goes. They have a video on their website that details their history. Their craft was honed during WWII when their audio gear was designed for the military and had to be of a high enough standard to survive any conditions. It also had to be exact in specifications. They carried those same traditions through to present day. They consistently measure, and know exact specs. That article I linked is straight from their engineers.

Now who is the most accurate - sound engineers who know their specs exactly, have measured gear as it rolls out of production, then after 100's of hours use - and find no difference

Or anecdotal "evidence" from someone who's played pink noise or music at slightly louder for 40-50 hours, and thinks they hear a difference? When our auditory memory lasts no more than a few seconds - how can you even tell what the difference is so many hours apart? What methodology did you use to make sure you were listening to the same track, and at the same volume level. You do realise you can change the frequency response more from insertion depth or insertion angle than any perceived burn-in?

I'm just dealing in facts gentlemen. There is no measurable difference - which means there is no audible difference. It's in your heads.

Why continue to perpetuate a myth? And +1ing each other won't change the facts.

When in doubt reach out @FiiO USA is there any changes with burn in time on the FH5?

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,578 of 2,258
I just these tips from amazon from someone whom shared. I tried the M size and pretty good fit. Tks whoever recommended them.
IMG-20190110-WA0005.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,579 of 2,258
When in doubt reach out @FiiO USA is there any changes with burn in time on the FH5?

I kind of did that. They opened a thread on their official forum on which admin recommended 150h burn in time.

As to @Brooko i do trust my own judgement more than anything and took some notes from impressions on particular tracks to ensure I got it right.
Now this is the last thing you gonna hear from me on this subject. Believe in anything you want, I am not in position to persuade anyone onto my side moreover i do not care, really. I won't be loosing my life on arguing with some random guy on the web, however I admire your determination as to your beliefs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,580 of 2,258
The experience of listening is a relative experience. I can listen to something yesterday and still not be sure if my subjective experience is the same today as the previous day's experience with all the same equipment as well as other issues being the same.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #1,581 of 2,258
I consider burn in to be mostly mental, but not for that less important.

All of these beasts sound different and our brain / ears need some time with them, time to get used to their sound and be able to enjoy everything they can offer

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,582 of 2,258
Not trying to start a flame war - just stating the blatantly obvious. Shure are among the best engineers on the planet as far as audio goes. They have a video on their website that details their history. Their craft was honed during WWII when their audio gear was designed for the military and had to be of a high enough standard to survive any conditions. It also had to be exact in specifications. They carried those same traditions through to present day. They consistently measure, and know exact specs. That article I linked is straight from their engineers.

Now who is the most accurate - sound engineers who know their specs exactly, have measured gear as it rolls out of production, then after 100's of hours use - and find no difference

Or anecdotal "evidence" from someone who's played pink noise or music at slightly louder for 40-50 hours, and thinks they hear a difference? When our auditory memory lasts no more than a few seconds - how can you even tell what the difference is so many hours apart? What methodology did you use to make sure you were listening to the same track, and at the same volume level. You do realise you can change the frequency response more from insertion depth or insertion angle than any perceived burn-in?

I'm just dealing in facts gentlemen. There is no measurable difference - which means there is no audible difference. It's in your heads.

Why continue to perpetuate a myth? And +1ing each other won't change the facts.
Unfortunately we live in a world where facts are the enemy of the people. It's all about who screams the loudes (or believes the strongest so to speak :) ).
That being said, ppl who believe in gear burn-in are free to believe in it and talk about it as much as they want. It's not like anyone's forcing anyone else to burn their gear in (unlike the political situation we're in).

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,583 of 2,258
Got these 2 days ago. Altough they cover the whole spectrum nicely I'm finding them to lack clarity and separation. What are the best tips for those?

The sound quality of these IEMs are heavily dependent on good isolation. In my experience, I've gotten the best sound when using MandarinE's Symbio W Eartips (hybrid silicone & foam tips). They're dense and isolate sound like foam tips but without bass attenuation due to the silicone shell. I would also recommend playing with the various tip types and sizes that came with the FH5. Before I got the Symbios, I used the large sized "balanced" tips to get the best sound even though I usually use medium size tips with other IEMs, like the FA7.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,584 of 2,258
Isn't it quite likely that as time goes by you either get more used to a particular sound or even have more of a psychological investment in believing the sound will be good, and so, one way or another, change your judgement simply as a consequence of changes in your biases?

I'm not a sound engineer (for Shure or anyone else) but I am a vision scientist - I do what is known as psychophysics for a living. That is, coming up with objective measures of people's perceptual abilities in different circumstances. I would lend no credence whatsoever to someone simply saying things 'sound better' after burn in. There are pretty simple ways of testing whether it is true (even just comparing people's subjective judgments of earphones which have, or have not, been burned in, when the people making the judgements don't know which earphones are which).

Has anyone ever done this? If anyone (FiiO, Shure?) was interested I'm sure I could organise it.

cheers,

Bob

Reader in Psychology, University of Durham, UK, and Senior Fellow of the Canadian Institute for the Advanced Research (CIFAR) Azrieli Programme in Brain, Mind, and Consciousness.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,585 of 2,258
Unfortunately we live in a world where facts are the enemy of the people. It's all about who screams the loudes (or believes the strongest so to speak :) ).
That being said, ppl who believe in gear burn-in are free to believe in it and talk about it as much as they want. It's not like anyone's forcing anyone else to burn their gear in (unlike the political situation we're in).
+1.everyone can have their own beliefs important feel happy with it

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,586 of 2,258

I have direct lines into FiiO. I asked them for definitive proof of burn-in when they made the claims. They chose not to reply. Funny that - read into it what you will.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,587 of 2,258
Now this is the last thing you gonna hear from me on this subject. Believe in anything you want, I am not in position to persuade anyone onto my side moreover i do not care, really. I won't be loosing my life on arguing with some random guy on the web, however I admire your determination as to your beliefs.

Not beliefs my friend - facts. It can be measured (hence my referral to Shure's articles)

And I do not object to people following a burn-in ritual if it gives them more pleasure in the product they bought. So if it makes you happier, go for it :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #1,589 of 2,258
I'm also not a believer of burn-in, particularly for BA IEMs of all things, but I do think there could be a strong psychological element to these IEMs.

I've found many times moving from flat, bright or V-shaped IEMs to darker/warmer sounding ones require the most of an adjustment period. That's how I feel about the FA7. I liked them a lot out of the box, but I liked them more after I spent a while using them almost exclusively. What once sounded a bit too dark and congested now sounds reasonable, and some of my other IEMs now seem too bright. I can pick out the detail within the FA7's darker sound more easily, and it doesn't sound congested to me any more. Again, I still think some dB down in the bass would be very welcome, but I do think the other aspects of the driver performance is good enough enough that you can get used to the sound and find plenty of detail. It now sounds rather spacious despite the warmth.

I'm always amazed at how getting used to an IEM's sound signature seems to be the best way to improve the soundstage. It's like over time your brain adjusts its own target response to put everything in the right place, within reason.

Brains how do they even work.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #1,590 of 2,258
Dear friend,

According to the characteristic of the headphone, burning the new earphone for about 200 hours can make the horn diaphragm in the better working condition. But the burn in time is not a fixed value and you could determine by yourself.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back