FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,563 of 2,258
Got these 2 days ago. Altough they cover the whole spectrum nicely I'm finding them to lack clarity and separation. What are the best tips for those?

Depends on your ear canal and preferences. Hard to say in one word, but people say good things about: JVC Spiral Dots, SpinFit, Comply etc. On my side I found bi-flange tips from the stock package so far the most suitable. Ordered SpinFit CP240-M to check them out as well.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #1,565 of 2,258
Depends on your ear canal and preferences. Hard to say in one word, but people say good things about: JVC Spiral Dots, SpinFit, Comply etc. On my side I found bi-flange tips from the stock package so far the most suitable. Ordered SpinFit CP240-M to check them out as well.
bi flange sounds a bit better, thanks

They need to be played in. :)

I'll give them some playing time, altough I'm not rly a believer of burn in

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,567 of 2,258
Got these 2 days ago. Altough they cover the whole spectrum nicely I'm finding them to lack clarity and separation. What are the best tips for those?

To my ears I found CP145 getting the best seal and benefiting whole SQ, nonetheless it is very persobal and consisted of too many factors to clearly indiciate on a winner.
As to the burn in, FiiO recommends to give at least 150h of play in. My set opened up nicely after 70h of playing.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,568 of 2,258
Jan 10, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,569 of 2,258
On breaking in IEMs - really, don't waste your time.

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/burning-in-earphones-or-breaking-in-earphones

Common sense form engineers who know and measure properly. Any perceived changes are in your head.
Not that I want to start another flame war over something that has been undergoing endless discussions, but my set was closed up in a closet and only checks on then I was doing were carried out in the mornings so my perception didn't even get an opportunity to adjust to 'new' sound. Then after ninth night I started to really like them which wasn't that obvious with my first impressions.
Anyway, everyone's different and I won't even try to make any attempt to convience anyone to this concept.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,570 of 2,258
Not that I want to start another flame war over something that has been undergoing endless discussions, but my set was closed up in a closet and only checks on then I was doing were carried out in the mornings so my perception didn't even get an opportunity to adjust to 'new' sound. Then after ninth night I started to really like them which wasn't that obvious with my first impressions.
Anyway, everyone's different and I won't even try to make any attempt to convience anyone to this concept.

+1

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,571 of 2,258
+2
Mine was a bit congested out of the box. Now they sound amazing and I guess they have like 50hr of usage by now

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,573 of 2,258
I just got it two days ago, and the sound is amazing. I had p1, Galaxy v1, v2, Final audio E4000, working with dp-x1a, r3, oppo and for me, none of them were detailed like the FH5.
I wasn't a believer of the hybrid but know after just two days, I'm.
Maybe I wasn't ready for it before and know I'm? Could be. I can hear everything, with good detail, separation, and good soundstage.
I'm happy and starting to question if a CIEM with a lot of stuff inside would be mind-blowing or not.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,574 of 2,258

Not trying to start a flame war - just stating the blatantly obvious. Shure are among the best engineers on the planet as far as audio goes. They have a video on their website that details their history. Their craft was honed during WWII when their audio gear was designed for the military and had to be of a high enough standard to survive any conditions. It also had to be exact in specifications. They carried those same traditions through to present day. They consistently measure, and know exact specs. That article I linked is straight from their engineers.

Now who is the most accurate - sound engineers who know their specs exactly, have measured gear as it rolls out of production, then after 100's of hours use - and find no difference

Or anecdotal "evidence" from someone who's played pink noise or music at slightly louder for 40-50 hours, and thinks they hear a difference? When our auditory memory lasts no more than a few seconds - how can you even tell what the difference is so many hours apart? What methodology did you use to make sure you were listening to the same track, and at the same volume level. You do realise you can change the frequency response more from insertion depth or insertion angle than any perceived burn-in?

I'm just dealing in facts gentlemen. There is no measurable difference - which means there is no audible difference. It's in your heads.

Why continue to perpetuate a myth? And +1ing each other won't change the facts.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,575 of 2,258
@Brooko
I've seen you reviewed both. Would the Jays Q-Jay be a better option than these for electronic / jazz / classical music?

Depends how you like your mid-range and bass.

FH5 = very forward mid-range and much bigger bass, with slightly subdued lower treble

Q-Jays = less bass, much flatter mid-range, slightly more treble energy - especially in the presence area for cymbals (around 7 kHz)

My preference would be the q-Jays, but I've always liked more balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back