FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #633 of 2,258
IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

I recently got the fh5s and, so far, I am really really enjoying them. I first heard them at canjam and was really impressed by the sound. I was hoping that would sound as good when I got them, and the absolutely are. Attending canjam was a real eye opener for me as it was the first time I had the opportunity to listen to a bunch of iems in short space of time of each other. I was very unimpressed by some iems, like the CA andros and Atlas, but very impressed by others like the fh5 and the EE bravado and LX.

My usual iems are the Pinnacle P1's. While I really like the P1's, they are often quite "thin" sounding and can be quite bright. I was therefore looking for something with much better bass and a fuller sound while at the same time having good detail. That is exactly what the fh5 do. Bass is so much better than the P1's, and by a large margin. The base is full, has impact and good texture without being over powering and bleeding into the mids and muddying the rest of the sound. I have read some people describe them as being mid forward. I have to admit that is not something I hear. The sound quite balanced to me. What has impressed me the most about the is the way they are simultaneously full sounding, yet maintain really good clarity and instrument separation. Overall they still sound detailed. Listening with the M0 (which is great little player) to Lansana's Priestess by Donald Bird, which makes the brighter P1's sound sibilant, there is no sibilance. The flute and cymbals sound as they should. In parts, there is a lot going on in the song, and the fh5's handles the sometimes complex rhythms well. Instruments remain distinct. Donald Byrd's trumpet sound really good. Similarly, with the song Street Fighter Mas by Kamasai Washington, which can make headphones with too much bass sound muddy, the fh5's sound really good. They manage to keep the bass heavy song sounding clear with good instrument separation and importantly in this song not letting the choir in the background become mushy sounding.

I am really loving these iem's and in comparison to the P1's to my ears they are significantly better in every area, bass, mids and highs. For me these iems are also very comfortable. The final area that is really impressive about these, is the build quality. It really is top notch, and again much better than the P1's, which are themselves built well. I have tried to capture the build in the photos below. The cable is also really nice, supple and soft. I think if you are looking for something with with good bass, a nice full sound, while maintaining clarity these should definitely be on your list.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #634 of 2,258
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #636 of 2,258
we need the IT03 comparison
I'm writing a full review but here is a quick rundown:
  • Comfort for me is much better with the FH5. The shells are smaller and the nozzles are shorter. On the IT03 the nozzles are so long they press against my ear canal (I have small ears). Yesterday I wore the FH5 for about 6 hours with no issue. With the IT03 I have to take a break after around 2 because my concha starts to hurt. FH5 doesn't stick out of my ears as much too.
  • I like the IT03's simple black faceplate design better. In the ear the FH5's looks too bling for my taste with that gold bezel.
  • The cable on the FH5 is just gorgeous, but significantly heavier than the IT03's. The IT03's started so harden after about a year. That isn't to say Fiio's wont. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Isolation is comparable and despite the FH5's shorter nozzles it's easy for me to achieve a good seal with any tips I've tried.
Sound:
  • The tuning is different between the two. IT03 is a slight U-shape while the FH5 is smooth and laid back.
  • Bass quantity and extension is comparable between the two. Both emphasize subbass vs midbass. Both don't bleed into the mids. I find the IT03's bass a little better textured.
  • Mids are much more elevated on the FH5 while they are slightly recessed on the IT03. As a result to me the FH5 sound a little more musical because the vocals and instruments are more in focus. Unlike Brooko I don't the FH5's mids fatiguing, even with my U-shape preference.
  • Highs are where the biggest difference is. IT03's highs are slightly elevated (not nearly as much as the F9Pro's though) while the FH5's are slightly recessed compared to the mids. As a result the IT03 has more sparkle but can sometimes sound a little metallic and unnatural. The FH5 doesn't have as much sparkle but sounds more natural and isn't as fatiguing at loud volumes. But don't get me wrong, the FH5's highs aren't rolled off. They extend well into 16kHz and still retain good micro-detail. I just wish the FH5's second treble peak (at around 12kHz) was 3-5 dB higher.
Which would I pick:
I tend to favor a U-shaped signature and most of my IEMs have been U or V-shaped. The IT03 have been my daily mid-fi choice for a while, even though I've never quite loved their treble.
However the FH5 gets so many things right that I prefer them over the IT03. If you really want your highs, you can use EQ or do the "remove the nozzle mesh" mod some people do.

Hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #637 of 2,258
I'm writing a full review but here is a quick rundown:
  • Comfort for me is much better with the FH5. The shells are smaller and the nozzles are shorter. On the IT03 the nozzles are so long they press against my ear canal (I have small ears). Yesterday I wore the FH5 for about 6 hours with no issue. With the IT03 I have to take a break after around 2 because my concha starts to hurt. FH5 doesn't stick out of my ears as much too.
  • I like the IT03's simple black faceplate design better. In the ear the FH5's looks too bling for my taste with that gold bezel.
  • The cable on the FH5 is just gorgeous, but significantly heavier than the IT03's. The IT03's started so harden after about a year. That isn't to say Fiio's wont. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Isolation is comparable and despite the FH5's shorter nozzles it's easy for me to achieve a good seal with any tips I've tried.
Sound:
  • The tuning is different between the two. IT03 is a slight U-shape while the FH5 is smooth and laid back.
  • Bass quantity and extension is comparable between the two. Both emphasize subbass vs midbass. Both don't bleed into the mids. I find the IT03's bass a little better textured.
  • Mids are much more elevated on the FH5 while they are slightly recessed on the IT03. As a result to me the FH5 sound a little more musical because the vocals and instruments are more in focus. Unlike Brooko I don't the FH5's mids fatiguing, even with my U-shape preference.
  • Highs are where the biggest difference is. IT03's highs are slightly elevated (not nearly as much as the F9Pro's though) while the FH5's are slightly recessed compared to the mids. As a result the IT03 has more sparkle but can sometimes sound a little metallic and unnatural. The FH5 doesn't have as much sparkle but sounds more natural and isn't as fatiguing at loud volumes. But don't get me wrong, the FH5's highs aren't rolled off. They extend well into 16kHz and still retain good micro-detail. I just wish the FH5's second treble peak (at around 12kHz) was 3-5 dB higher.
Which would I pick:
I tend to favor a U-shaped signature and most of my IEMs have been U or V-shaped. The IT03 have been my daily mid-fi choice for a while, even though I've never quite loved their treble.
However the FH5 gets so many things right that I prefer them over the IT03. If you really want your highs, you can use EQ or do the "remove the nozzle mesh" mod some people do.

Hope this helps.

at last.

thank you so much my man.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #638 of 2,258
Hi

I am a long time LZA4 user, love the signature of those budget IEMs.

I was going to go for the LZA5's but didn't commit due to unbalanced tonality as far as i could tell (overdone on the bass and spikey treble).

Am really looking for something a bit more resolving in micro details but maintaining the lovely space of the A4's and even tonality. I am so pleased with the A4's I fear disappointment if I sidegrade, lol.

Would the FH5 do the trick here?

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #641 of 2,258
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #642 of 2,258
Guys !
Just returned F9 Pro, today I did a session of about 4 hours and my ears are bleeding (They remind me the Sonys 100-AAP, excellent but killing treble)
I placed an order for the FH5, tomorrow they should arrive.

I want to pick a balanced 2.5mm cable, I’m currently in Canada and the only two options are these:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078H9WS6R...olid=2VDA6XINAKEE4&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076SNBNXS...olid=2VDA6XINAKEE4&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For aesthetics only i prefer the cheaper one, but I really dont know, what do you think or what suggestion can you give me? If its better to stay with the stock cable rather than those tell me :)

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #645 of 2,258

I recently got the fh5s and, so far, I am really really enjoying them. I first heard them at canjam and was really impressed by the sound. I was hoping that would sound as good when I got them, and the absolutely are. Attending canjam was a real eye opener for me as it was the first time I had the opportunity to listen to a bunch of iems in short space of time of each other. I was very unimpressed by some iems, like the CA andros and Atlas, but very impressed by others like the fh5 and the EE bravado and LX.

My usual iems are the Pinnacle P1's. While I really like the P1's, they are often quite "thin" sounding and can be quite bright. I was therefore looking for something with much better bass and a fuller sound while at the same time having good detail. That is exactly what the fh5 do. Bass is so much better than the P1's, and by a large margin. The base is full, has impact and good texture without being over powering and bleeding into the mids and muddying the rest of the sound. I have read some people describe them as being mid forward. I have to admit that is not something I hear. The sound quite balanced to me. What has impressed me the most about the is the way they are simultaneously full sounding, yet maintain really good clarity and instrument separation. Overall they still sound detailed. Listening with the M0 (which is great little player) to Lansana's Priestess by Donald Bird, which makes the brighter P1's sound sibilant, there is no sibilance. The flute and cymbals sound as they should. In parts, there is a lot going on in the song, and the fh5's handles the sometimes complex rhythms well. Instruments remain distinct. Donald Byrd's trumpet sound really good. Similarly, with the song Street Fighter Mas by Kamasai Washington, which can make headphones with too much bass sound muddy, the fh5's sound really good. They manage to keep the bass heavy song sounding clear with good instrument separation and importantly in this song not letting the choir in the background become mushy sounding.

I am really loving these iem's and in comparison to the P1's to my ears they are significantly better in every area, bass, mids and highs. For me these iems are also very comfortable. The final area that is really impressive about these, is the build quality. It really is top notch, and again much better than the P1's, which are themselves built well. I have tried to capture the build in the photos below. The cable is also really nice, supple and soft. I think if you are looking for something with with good bass, a nice full sound, while maintaining clarity these should definitely be on your list.

nice photos man,

Shanling M0?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back