FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 1, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #181 of 2,258
Sorry only titanium color right now, about other color, we will decide it in the future, but it is very difficult to manage the stock.

If it is chosen then how long will it be until we see the black and gold variant? (Not sure if I want to wait if it will be too long...)

I disagree, give us a balanced 2.5mm cable and just a 3.5mm connector, those who need a 4.4mm connector can just purchase one on their own, given the fact that initially most of your DAPs supports 2.5mm connection anyway. Just my honest feedback is all, I love Fiio as a company and would very much like you guys to succeed.

I think the 3.5mm is still the most popular jack connector outside dedicated DAPs. If anything, the 2.5mm and 4.4mm should be the seperate connectors, IMO. (Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement.)

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #183 of 2,258
I disagree, give us a balanced 2.5mm cable and just a 3.5mm connector, those who need a 4.4mm connector can just purchase one on their own, given the fact that initially most of your DAPs supports 2.5mm connection anyway.

I think you are right. Maybe its more a question of cutting costs than which cables would be right... .

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #184 of 2,258
Ok, since im waiting the BTR3 for my F9, ill wait for it and meanwhile ill see the reviews of the fh5 and if there is any luck with the black color. I was preparing the wallet if there was a black one, no dealbreaker, just now is not a hearth decision. My F9 is a great on the go iem with a very slight eq. Best hope to fiio color decision and future reviews

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #185 of 2,258
I disagree, give us a balanced 2.5mm cable and just a 3.5mm connector, those who need a 4.4mm connector can just purchase one on their own, given the fact that initially most of your DAPs supports 2.5mm connection anyway. Just my honest feedback is all, I love Fiio as a company and would very much like you guys to succeed.

If such adaptor is feasible then your idea would suit ALL users & Fiio still only pays for 1 quality cable, even if the adaptor adds a few $/£ to the MRRP - everybody happy!

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #186 of 2,258
If it is chosen then how long will it be until we see the black and gold variant? (Not sure if I want to wait if it will be too long...)

I think the 3.5mm is still the most popular jack connector outside dedicated DAPs. If anything, the 2.5mm and 4.4mm should be the seperate connectors, IMO. (Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement.)

If you only get one, the 2.5 trrs with adapter to 3.5. it's small add clean.

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #187 of 2,258
If you only get one, the 2.5 trrs with adapter to 3.5. it's small add clean.

I hate using adapters. Especially since most of my listening is done on the go. Just another object dangling from my DAP. I have the L26 adapter and it’s annoying to use. 3.5mm is still the most widely used connector so it makes sense it would be the default. I think if you decide to go the balanced route, you’d probably be willing to pick up a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #188 of 2,258
Measured again tonight - mainly because I wanted to check previous measurement and also because I wanted to try HBB's grill off mod.

First - tonight measurement shows essentially the same graph - just the bass slightly different. This is likely because one of my crystal foam tips ruptured, so i had to replace with brand new one. Could be that the seal is slightly tighter. Mid bass now has slight peak. This is not burn-in (its the rig). I measured on linux and on Windows - both showing the same thing.

So here's the new channel and freq response with the slight change.

And here's the difference between mesh on and mesh off (yup - there isn't any real measurable difference). Now I only measured freq response - no square wave or IMD or anything else - so i'm not saying Chris is wrong. There was a very slight volume change when I put it on the dB meter (mesh off about 0.2dB louder), so that could be it. Anyway - subjectively I heard no difference. My advise - try it if you wnat to - but I'm leaving mine on - don't want any wax or debris down those tubes :wink:

Could you do a comparison graph with FH1 and F9 Pro?

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #190 of 2,258
It seems only a few months ago, Fiio were pushing balanced / infinity sound at every opportunity. Have they abandoned a key marketing strategy already?

I think from a business standpoint, it makes more sense to go 3.5. They could sell a balanced cable separately. I would think that users of balanced cables would be less likely to want to go back to single ended.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #191 of 2,258
I think from a business standpoint, it makes more sense to go 3.5. They could sell a balanced cable separately. I would think that users of balanced cables would be less likely to want to go back to single ended.
For example in my case, i dont use the balanced cable from my F9s, since its only for on the go i appreciate a lot a good 3.5cable, and if @FiiO upgrade its RC-MMCX1s short cable into a similar, sturdy and higher quality cable, it would a purcahse to make.
I also have the X5iii but dont use the balanced output (only my stereo setup benefits from a bi-amp mode).
I know for shure that a picky guy would like to have a higher end cable and will pay for it, even more coming from the same company. (i was waiting for make a bundle in aliexpress with a future btr3 and maybe a FH5).
Just my 5cent perspective

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #192 of 2,258
Here’s an “adapter” I think Marco Angel and I would like to see, as I believe we’re both looking at on-the-go Bluetooth clip module form factor (FiiO BTRx) solutions. ALL cables that I’ve seen have major deficits for that use case. Too long, too heavy, too grippy, no chin slider, minimal or non-existent strain relief.

Requirements:
MMCX - TRS 3.5 mm
Length: ~40 mm
Chin slider (me), ear hooks (Marco). Certainly, we could accommodate both.
Graduated strain relief (ok, I’m a broken record on that topic, but I have failed cable PTSD dating back to the 1980s).
Price: I’d pay $30 USD for a robust solution. There’s a TON of margin at that price point.
Bonus points: 2.5mm balanced version.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #193 of 2,258
Measured again tonight - mainly because I wanted to check previous measurement and also because I wanted to try HBB's grill off mod.

First - tonight measurement shows essentially the same graph - just the bass slightly different. This is likely because one of my crystal foam tips ruptured, so i had to replace with brand new one. Could be that the seal is slightly tighter. Mid bass now has slight peak. This is not burn-in (its the rig). I measured on linux and on Windows - both showing the same thing.

So here's the new channel and freq response with the slight change.

And here's the difference between mesh on and mesh off (yup - there isn't any real measurable difference). Now I only measured freq response - no square wave or IMD or anything else - so i'm not saying Chris is wrong. There was a very slight volume change when I put it on the dB meter (mesh off about 0.2dB louder), so that could be it. Anyway - subjectively I heard no difference. My advise - try it if you wnat to - but I'm leaving mine on - don't want any wax or debris down those tubes :wink:

Could it be that the eartips may have changed the freq response? Seal and all the material stuff?

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #194 of 2,258
I think I had already make it clear why we have not put a 2.5mm balanced cable in the box of FH5, in Asia, 4.4 becomes more popular right now , and in China, there will be another standard called 3.5PRO, so or we put all the balanced cable inside or we put none of them.

Right now we think the best way is not waste your money and the new mmcx balanced cable will be available soon , it is called

LC-2.5B ( 2.5mm )/LC-3.5B (3.5mm) /LC-4.4B (4.4mm )

10134979_thumb.jpg

LC-2.5C ( 2.5mm ), LC-3.5C (3.5mm ),LC-4.4C (4.4mm)

10134978_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• TIM截图20180702085710.png
    TIM截图20180702085710.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 0
  • TIM图片20180702104343.jpg
    TIM图片20180702104343.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TIM图片20180702104356.jpg
    TIM图片20180702104356.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 0
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back