FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #241 of 2,258
You may need to understand more about audio before asking this question

Having any technology doesn't mean it will be better from the start.

Also, SE846 and IE800 are two different animals, what kind of sound are you looking for. From the descriptions of everyone, FH5 doesn't seem to be uber u-shaped, like IE800, nor lacking the final part of the treble like SE846, so most probably the comparison would be more complicated than that

Happily, I have a IE800 and will do the comparison, just saying, better would need to take into account the signature you're looking for as well.
I do understand what you are saying, just wanted to know how it compares to these two. Would be interested in this comparison to be honest. Best Regards

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #245 of 2,258
From the outside.
I have the IT03 and Oriolus and both have open bass ports which seems to reduce isolation.

Without the open ports / vents you would be dealing with driver flex and pressure while inserting the IEMs.

Something like Etymotic has no open ports, and you have to insert them very slowly and carefully. They are BA only tho so no driver flex

I'll look into how well FH5 isolates when I get it

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #246 of 2,258
The FH5 has a DD pressure release port at the bottom of the shell. As far as isolation goes - it’s about average for a hybrid. I used them on a flight two days ago - and they did not stop the cabin noise. They’re ok for street noise - depending on how loud you listen.

Bottom line = average isolation. Not my pick for noisy public transport. If high isolation is important the FH5 won’t meet your needs.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #247 of 2,258
The FH5 has a DD pressure release port at the bottom of the shell. As far as isolation goes - it’s about average for a hybrid. I used them on a flight two days ago - and they did not stop the cabin noise. They’re ok for street noise - depending on how loud you listen.

Bottom line = average isolation. Not my pick for noisy public transport. If high isolation is important the FH5 won’t meet your needs.

Would it be fine for a quiet train or average bus? Or rather, would it be comparable or better than an average full size closed headphone?

As long as it isn't worse than Apple Earpods, I feel like I should be fine but I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks for all the impressions, btw!

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #248 of 2,258
How loud do you listen? I’m a quiet listener, so for me it’s ideal for walking down a quiet street, or working at my desk. If you listen loud the music will mask any background noise. Someone like George would have no issues because I know he listens very loud.

If you want very good isolation look into a sealed all BA set-up

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #249 of 2,258
How loud do you listen? I’m a quiet listener, so for me it’s ideal for walking down a quiet street, or working at my desk. If you listen loud the music will mask any background noise. Someone like George would have no issues because I know he listens very loud.

Personally, you're right, but for reviews I test isolation seriously with quiet listening levels and all. I just prefer blasting some rock and metal full volume for my enjoyment :)

I found this album can be enjoyed regardless of the volume you're listening it at :)

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #250 of 2,258

I'm typically listening at half volume but I do adjust it upwards to listen to particular songs I enjoy or downwards to avoid embarrassing sound leakage in quieter environments.

Isolation is less a focus for me than leakage, but I'd like to have good passive isolation and minimal leakage if possible. Do the FH5s do that?

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #251 of 2,258
What i want to know with all this technology in this FH5 is, is this better then the se846 or ie800?

Never heard the IE800, but there are a lot of things already out that are way better than the SE846 (and they're much cheaper). The LZ A5 being one.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #252 of 2,258
I'm typically listening at half volume but I do adjust it upwards to listen to particular songs I enjoy or downwards to avoid embarrassing sound leakage in quieter environments.

Isolation is less a focus for me than leakage, but I'd like to have good passive isolation and minimal leakage if possible. Do the FH5s do that?

I will actually really review that a lot because I can detect leakege easily :)

My girl always tells me to shut it down if I'm listening to death metal, and I can note at what volume she detects it while using a IEM :)

Never heard the IE800, but there are a lot of things already out that are way better than the SE846 (and they're much cheaper). The LZ A5 being one.

A lot of stuff can be better than SE846 since SE846 doesn't really have the upper part of their treble, at all...

This means that if you prefer your music with a little more treble, then a lot will be better than SE846 as they really lack treble extension and treble energy :)

On the other hand, SE846 is a relaxing man's IEMs, you probably don't relax with IE800, they keep you engaged and excited, that's the whole reason one would get something like IE800 better than SE846.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #254 of 2,258
The bass is what makes the SE846. Sure's have always had midrange as well, but typically lack on the treble. Sehnnheisers on the other hand typically lack on bass but have the treble on point. It's a preference thing.
I've yet to hear anything with subwoofer like bass as good as the 846's. I'm hoping these will be close, but with a little more treble.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #255 of 2,258
The bass is what makes the SE846. Sure's have always had midrange as well, but typically lack on the treble. Sehnnheisers on the other hand typically lack on bass but have the treble on point. It's a preference thing.
I've yet to hear anything with subwoofer like bass as good as the 846's. I'm hoping these will be close, but with a little more treble.
Completely agree with you about the bass on the SE846's. It's tough to beat. I thought the bass on the F9 Pro's was good. I'm thinking the bass on the FH5's with it's dedicated 10mm bass drivers will be better. Will it be able to compete with the SE846's bass? We will see. The reviews are starting to roll in on this earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back