[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #961 of 1,584
I also have both FD7 and FH9.
Both of them have their merits.
They are complementary.
I really hope Fiio will produce a super iem combining all the merits of FD7 and FH9.
I received them both and FD7 will be cooked for a while but...listening to FD7 and then to A18t which costs more than 5 times its cost makes me feel the biggest loser in this hobby. It fries the A18t in every possible way, especially with the layering, separation. Very good tuning. Bloody hell. The A18t is the biggest mistake I have ever done.

Another thing I liked about it is that it has higher impedance, so less sensitive to any amplifier output impedance and I can easily drive it from my desktop amp. The subbass is there and clean.

I normally keep one IEM but FH9 and FD7 are both keepers.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #962 of 1,584
I think hybrids, tribrids, are just an attempt to "fix" the weaknesses of the inherent drivers. To have the one true IEM to rule them all; that will satisfy all musical genres and preferences. But in reality, fixing one thing tends to have trade offs and people will find an issue with another thing. Which is why I don't believe there is a single IEM that will satisfy everyone's musical preference. Also the reason why many of us own multiple IEMs for that very reason.

Edit:
You can tune the FR, but you can't tune things like speed, slam, texture, timbre, etc.

In no way was I implying that FD7's DD was inferior. I was just saying in comparison, to the BA drivers in the U12t the attack was not as fast. I keep both of them in my arsenal for a reason, as having both satisfies the majority of my musical preferences.
I do not mean that you can take a cheap slow DD and tune it like a fast expensive BA. I'm talking about the fact that when it comes to good headphones, BA/DD/etc will not have the problems that tend to attribute to them, and so on.
It seems to me that if the producers wanted to get the same sound on different technologies, they would do it.
And 64 Audio may indeed be a bit slow. Models with a crossover are often inferior to this single driver. In addition, it is not common to make sound too fast, because it can make it too sharp, especially at high frequencies.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #963 of 1,584
The one thing I can say as a personal absolute, the tonality - especially in the midrange - is the best I’ve heard on any IEM - they make my JH Layla sound plastic / fake in comparison.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #964 of 1,584
I'm obviously in the new toy honeymoon period with the FDX, however with 100+ hours on them now I can also say that I am choosing them to listen on more that the JHA Roxanne's.
I'm driving them most of the time with a iFi GoBlu and am as amazed by the available quality whilst remote, almost as much as carrying a portable CD player back in 1986 along a beach with a pair of really basi Sony in ear buds.

This journey is not over yet but the innovation, development and affordability keeps getting better.

Regards

Sceptre

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #965 of 1,584
I'm obviously in the new toy honeymoon period with the FDX, however with 100+ hours on them now I can also say that I am choosing them to listen on more that the JHA Roxanne's.
I'm driving them most of the time with a iFi GoBlu and am as amazed by the available quality whilst remote, almost as much as carrying a portable CD player back in 1986 along a beach with a pair of really basi Sony in ear buds.

This journey is not over yet but the innovation, development and affordability keeps getting better.

Regards

Sceptre
I hope that we get chance to catch up at some point (I’m four stops down the GN route from you) - would love to compare FD7/FDX.

If we don’t get to do that, and you decide to let them go, please offer me first refusal!

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #966 of 1,584
I hope that we get chance to catch up at some point (I’m four stops down the GN route from you) - would love to compare FD7/FDX.

If we don’t get to do that, and you decide to let them go, please offer me first refusal!
Look forward to it and sharing the opinions on here.
I believe the cable would have an affect but we will only know when we get together. Suggest a time via PM. Either yours or mine or a spot in between.

Regards
Sceptre

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #967 of 1,584
Is the tuning of the FD7 on the boring side ?

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #970 of 1,584
I'll find out soon too - finally ordered yesterday! I've no doubt I'll love.
Looking forward to hearing your views! I have Ozar incoming. Can't wait to audition those too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back