[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #946 of 1,584
EF9CDF3D-7075-49A2-A612-EFDE153BC1FD.jpeg

This is a pleasant experience

dx312>jotunheim>little dot Mk2>fd7

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #947 of 1,584
Based on the reviews and impressions from the gentlemen here, Fd7 definitely seems interesting.
I’ve been using Solaris OG since a year now. I’m really happy with its Imaging, soundstage and detailing. But now I’m thinking of getting something with similar imaging and resolution, along with a bit more thick vocals and more thump(impact) on the lower end. Is FD7 a good option?

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #948 of 1,584
Whatever you feel is beneficial for the community is best for me! No hurry though...

drftr
Here is the comparison as promised. I initially wanted to do a formal write up but I haven't been doing a lot of listening lately. Just did some listening here and there and jotted down some notes. The FD7 notes are mostly from memory as I have a pretty clear idea of their general sound. U12t I wrote down while listening. Anyway, hope this helps.

Preface:
I consider both to be very special IEMs with endgame level qualities. The main differences will be their presentation style and their traits based on the different driver tech they use. Both are keepers in my book.

U12t
Fitted with M15 Apex module, stock silicone tips, and Effect Audio Virtuoso cable.

Source: N3Pro

Highly transparent. Sounds best balanced out with musical DAP like N3Pro. Currently my favorite pairing.

Out of ESS sabre R6 2020
More analytical/Technical, tonally accurate, dissecting

Balanced armature technicalities
Nimble, very fast transients, light/airy, effortless. Immersive. Similar to planar.

Thinner in comparison, lacks note weight

Soundstage: very good spacious 3D stage. Good separation.

Bass: Good subbass. But sounds more one note, lacks definition, tightness, texture. Like ported floor standing speakers without a dedicated sub or woofer.

Mids: Great clear, expressive female vocals, incredibly detailed

Treble: airy and spacious

I think Planars are superior to BA's but when done right, like the U12t, it can sound really good.

FD7
Fitted with treble nozzles with stock balanced tips and ISN AG8 cable.

Source: R6 2020
I prefer the pairing with Sabre chip based source as it really highlights what the FD7 can do. 9038S also sounds excellent with the FD7 but the R6 has a tad more control.

Able to convey textures better. Quicker than average DD transient and attack due to its beryllium driver. Sounds the most natural.

Master at retrieving micro details. More resolving because of this. I define resolution as being able to see a clearer image (more information). Like having more pixel density (going from 1080p to 4k).

I find these to be incredibly musical even though it has an analytical nature. It strikes the right balance to me.

Soundstage: more open, massive width, depth, height. Realism, like live event. Sounds the most like open back headphones to me.

Bass: good and well integrated DD bass. But not it's main focus. Nothing to write home about. I hear mostly midbass with some subbass rumble (other nozzles might affect this).

Mids: where the magic is. Amazing midrange detail and textures. Excellent for both male and female vocals as well as reproducing strings like cello, violin, etc.

Treble: good lower treble detail. Lacks upper treble extension and air. Smooth and non fatiguing.

FD7 is my favorite for ambient type music like Slow Meadow, Experiments in Silence, etc. The cowboy bebop soundtrack also one of my favs. I also enjoy them a lot for vocals and acoustic.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #949 of 1,584
Here is the comparison as promised. I initially wanted to do a formal write up but I haven't been doing a lot of listening lately. Just did some listening here and there and jotted down some notes. The FD7 notes are mostly from memory as I have a pretty clear idea of their general sound. U12t I wrote down while listening. Anyway, hope this helps.

Preface:
I consider both to be very special IEMs with endgame level qualities. The main differences will be their presentation style and their traits based on the different driver tech they use. Both are keepers in my book.

U12t
Fitted with M15 Apex module, stock silicone tips, and Effect Audio Virtuoso cable.

Highly transparent. Sounds best balanced out with musical DAP like N3Pro. Currently my favorite pairing.

Out of ESS sabre R6 2020

Nimble, very fast transients, light/airy, effortless. Immersive. Similar to planar.

Bass: Good subbass. But sounds more one note, lacks definition, tightness, texture. Like ported floor standing speakers without a dedicated sub or woofer.

I think Planars are superior to BA's but when done right, like the U12t, it can sound really good.

FD7

I prefer the pairing with Sabre chip based source as it really highlights what the FD7 can do. 9038S also sounds excellent with the FD7 but the R6 has a tad more control.

Able to convey textures better. Quicker than average DD transient and attack due to its beryllium driver. Sounds the most natural.

Master at retrieving micro details. More resolving because of this. I define resolution as being able to see a clearer image (more information). Like having more pixel density (going from 1080p to 4k).

I find these to be incredibly musical even though it has an analytical nature. It strikes the right balance to me.

Soundstage: more open, massive width, depth, height. Realism, like live event. Sounds the most like open back headphones to me.

Bass: good and well integrated DD bass. But not it's main focus. Nothing to write home about. I hear mostly midbass with some subbass rumble (other nozzles might affect this).

Mids: where the magic is. Amazing midrange detail and textures. Excellent for both male and female vocals as well as reproducing strings like cello, violin, etc.

Treble: good lower treble detail. Lacks upper treble extension and air. Smooth and non fatiguing.

FD7 is my favorite for ambient type music like Slow Meadow, Experiments in Silence, etc. The cowboy bebop soundtrack also one of my favs. I also enjoy them a lot for vocals and acoustic.
Which one handles complex metal music better? For example, this track - Eluveitie - Inis Mona.

Also, do the notes of FD7 have more body and weight compared to U12T, and feel more tactile and real?

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #950 of 1,584
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #951 of 1,584

Preface:

U12t

Out of ESS sabre R6 2020

FD7

Excellent write-up! Thank you so much! To be honest, your write-up tells me more than some 5,000 word reviews. Please do the guys over on the Watercooler thread a favour and post it there as well.

Looks like the U12t will show any weakness in the source. I'll be starting out with the RU6 but may have to step up my game already.

I'm curious whether you have tried the MX modules? Yes, you get just a tad less bass, but you get more control in return. Could very well be that what you conceive as one-note bass is actually the M15 module overdoing things; making it sound too wooly. Not sure if note weight would take a hit because of it but that doesn't seem to be necessary.

Guess I will still put efforts in hunting down an FD7 when back home because the way you describe it may just tilt me away from the U12t. If it does then it's most likely timbre and note weight related.

Tnx a million for your efforts!

drftr

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #952 of 1,584
Which one handles complex metal music better? For example, this track - Eluveitie - Inis Mona.

Also, do the notes of FD7 have more body and weight compared to U12T, and feel more tactile and real?
I don't listen to metal, but I can try that track later tonight.

Yes, I think that's just a limitation of BA driver. DD will always have more body, texture, and tactile feeling than BA.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #953 of 1,584
Excellent write-up! Thank you so much! To be honest, your write-up tells me more than some 5,000 word reviews. Please do the guys over on the Watercooler thread a favour and post it there as well.

Looks like the U12t will show any weakness in the source. I'll be starting out with the RU6 but may have to step up my game already.

I'm curious whether you have tried the MX modules? Yes, you get just a tad less bass, but you get more control in return. Could very well be that what you conceive as one-note bass is actually the M15 module overdoing things; making it sound too wooly. Not sure if note weight would take a hit because of it but that doesn't seem to be necessary.

Guess I will still put efforts in hunting down an FD7 when back home because the way you describe it may just tilt me away from the U12t. If it does then it's most likely timbre and note weight related.

Tnx a million for your efforts!

drftr
Sure, I used the MX module when I first got them as I preferred the more neutral tuning. But I grown to like the M15 module as well. I don't think the MX module tightens the bass much, it's just less bass and will alter the tonality a bit. M15 has more than enough bass for my needs, where I don't even bother with the M20.

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #954 of 1,584
U12t sounded better with this particular track. FD7 sounded warmer and a bit meatier but U12t sounded much faster and handled the layering better. I enjoyed the U12t more with this track.

I think metal will sound better with a faster driver and bassier IEM. U12t does a pretty good job in this regard.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #955 of 1,584
I think metal will sound better with a faster driver and bassier IEM. U12t does a pretty good job in this regard.
I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I think it's a matter of taste.
I tried to listen to a lot of heavy music, and often it was recorded quite darkly. So when you choose dark headphones, you get just a muddy and rather slow sound. He has the right to life, maybe someone likes it that way.
However, in my opinion, the neutral filter in FD7 turned out to be the most versatile. It was very nice to listen to, say, the new 1914 album. The blows have enough scale and body, but at the same time fast enough. Because the FD7 is not a dry headphone. And the guitars sound without losing the necessary aggression and sharpness. At the same time, percussion is also not forgotten and plays an important role where necessary.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #956 of 1,584
I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I think it's a matter of taste.
I tried to listen to a lot of heavy music, and often it was recorded quite darkly. So when you choose dark headphones, you get just a muddy and rather slow sound. He has the right to life, maybe someone likes it that way.
However, in my opinion, the neutral filter in FD7 turned out to be the most versatile. It was very nice to listen to, say, the new 1914 album. The blows have enough scale and body, but at the same time fast enough. Because the FD7 is not a dry headphone. And the guitars sound without losing the necessary aggression and sharpness. At the same time, percussion is also not forgotten and plays an important role where necessary.
That is true, as with all things, just a matter of taste. I forgot to add YMMV at the last bit there. For my taste, I'd prefer a faster driver for metal though. I admit I'm not a metal listener though.

I also think layering is where multiple BA drivers will have an advantage over DD. So even though I'm mostly a DD guy, there are times where I might prefer that different flavor of sound a BA IEM can provide. So it's nice to have hybrids, tribrids, etc...but I think I'm over that phase.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #958 of 1,584
That is true, as with all things, just a matter of taste. I forgot to add YMMV at the last bit there. For my taste, I'd prefer a faster driver for metal though. I admit I'm not a metal listener though.

I also think layering is where multiple BA drivers will have an advantage over DD. So even though I'm mostly a DD guy, there are times where I might prefer that different flavor of sound a BA IEM can provide. So it's nice to have hybrids, tribrids, etc...but I think I'm over that phase.
In my opinion, the influence of taste is so obvious that it makes no sense to mention it every time. However, it is often the cause of much controversy over the fact that headphones play metal for some and not for others. And sometimes it's the same headphones and the same metal))
As for technology, in my opinion, the modern world with its capabilities equalizes technological advantage. Therefore, it is possible to tune the reinforcement model so that it has enough bass and weight, and DD so that it has enough speed and accuracy. And FD7 shows it well. In terms of speed and accuracy, they are not inferior to BA models. However, they have enough weight and body, as it should be for DD.
Hybrids try to combine the best of all worlds, and sometimes it works, but really, when the result is good sound, what's the difference, how did it work? This is the business of engineers)
That is, of course, the realization that the model is technologically complex can be pleasant, but it rather justifies the price. Well, a little happy))
However, it is no less gratifying when it is possible "only one DD/BA/planar/etc".
So for a long time I have been wondering what technology is there, but first of all sound.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #959 of 1,584
In my opinion, the influence of taste is so obvious that it makes no sense to mention it every time. However, it is often the cause of much controversy over the fact that headphones play metal for some and not for others. And sometimes it's the same headphones and the same metal))
As for technology, in my opinion, the modern world with its capabilities equalizes technological advantage. Therefore, it is possible to tune the reinforcement model so that it has enough bass and weight, and DD so that it has enough speed and accuracy. And FD7 shows it well. In terms of speed and accuracy, they are not inferior to BA models. However, they have enough weight and body, as it should be for DD.
Hybrids try to combine the best of all worlds, and sometimes it works, but really, when the result is good sound, what's the difference, how did it work? This is the business of engineers)
That is, of course, the realization that the model is technologically complex can be pleasant, but it rather justifies the price. Well, a little happy))
However, it is no less gratifying when it is possible "only one DD/BA/planar/etc".
So for a long time I have been wondering what technology is there, but first of all sound.
I think hybrids, tribrids, are just an attempt to "fix" the weaknesses of the inherent drivers. To have the one true IEM to rule them all; that will satisfy all musical genres and preferences. But in reality, fixing one thing tends to have trade offs and people will find an issue with another thing. Which is why I don't believe there is a single IEM that will satisfy everyone's musical preference. Also the reason why many of us own multiple IEMs for that very reason.

Edit:
You can tune the FR, but you can't tune things like speed, slam, texture, timbre, etc.

In no way was I implying that FD7's DD was inferior. I was just saying in comparison, to the BA drivers in the U12t the attack was not as fast. I keep both of them in my arsenal for a reason, as having both satisfies the majority of my musical preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #960 of 1,584
I think hybrids, tribrids, are just an attempt to "fix" the weaknesses of the inherent drivers. To have the one true IEM to rule them all; that will satisfy all musical genres and preferences. But in reality, fixing one thing tends to have trade offs and people will find an issue with another thing. Which is why I don't believe there is a single IEM that will satisfy everyone's musical preference. Also the reason why many of us own multiple IEMs for that very reason.
The solution is making your ear drum move directly through an electrical signal instead of a driver that pushes soundwaves into your ear. That way you take away the art of interpretation of an IEM builder. I'm sure we'll get there at some point. I mean, we can stimulate the brain with electrical pulses, we have bone conductors, etcetera. Next might be moving the ear drum directly. For health reasons it may be best not to hold your breath for this, but we'll get there.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back