[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #841 of 1,584
Good question. Any cable will work on the FD7 but there is a reason why Fiio chose a pure silver cable to match the FD7. FD7 is a highly resolving well balanced pure beryllium dynamic earphone. Silver properties matches up perfectly with the FD7 as it brings out all the technical aspects of the FD7, stage imaging, instrument separation, timbre, tone and detail. Using copper is ok and it will really come down to preference but you end up giving up a slight bit of that transparency and technical ability of the FD7 for a slightly warmer smoother take on the FD7 sound. I can see how some folks will be ok with that trade off. If you're going to use copper. You can certainly use a nicer copper cable and the treble nozzle on the FD7 for a different take on the FD7 sound signature. So the idea there is the counter the slight smoothening of the treble region with copper cable using the treble nozzle which opens up the treble end a bit and in return you can get a more organic sounding FD7 and a fuller bass end than what it already is but then you loose that silver transparency for the FD7 in the process. Something like a hybrid cable with copper and silver mixed will work even better. Yes I did try the Penon mix on the FD7 but in the end it was the AG8 that won it out.

The AG8 is different than most silver cables on the market it is thick by design so there is no loss of note weight if anything it adds a bit yet has that highly resolving silver ability at the same time. It enhances stage better than most silver cables as well.

The FD7 deserves a much higher more resolving copper cable if you're going to use one like a higher end UPOCC copper or crystal copper cable will be better match up with the FD7. But again if you go back to the stock cable or something like the AG8 the stage, imaging and detail will change a bit. Since the FD7 has them tuning nozzles and it is an mmcx. There is some flexibility to really hone down the FD7 to a person's tonal and technical preference. A warmer take on the FD7 a more bassier version a more lusher version all that can be possible. But bringing out the best detailed FD7 with the best stage possible is what silver is all about.

Cables are a personal thing a bit of a way to lean a sound to your liking so it really will depend on some experimentation. Nothing wrong with experimenting with the FD7 to see how you like a cable match up. I tried a bunch of cables with the FD7 and I always came back to a silver variant. Again its stock cable is one of those rare instances where the manufacturer actually matched up the sound properties perfectly with the included cable. I bet it was a design choice. You don't design something like a pure beryllium flagship dynamic and have that not be a design choice. You don't think Fiio tried all their cables they produce on the FD7. I bet they did and many more to get the cable it came up with.
Although I agree with what you wrote, the designers of any IEM will never claim that the way they thought it all out is to everyone's liking. For that reason people play around with tips, cables, DACs, DAPs, etcetera, to make it juuuust sound right for them. I think you can safely say that the designers of an IEM do 97% of the tuning and make the IEMs so responsive to changes in our chains that we're able to finetune the last 3% ourselves. Often that's enough. Sometimes it's not.

RE cables you could either try (a mix with) copper or gold for a warmer sound. But all remarks of Dsnuts do apply so you'll have to find your favourite concession. I have read (but have no experience myself) that using longer tips can possibly reduce brightness a bit which would automatically lead to a warmer tuning. Changing the width of the tips doesn't help much I think as you'd either amplify bass or treble. Last thing is you could experiment with different foams as they make for a warmer sound for sure.

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #842 of 1,584
Always in love with my FD7. Don't whant to ear my other iems. :wink:
I received a ISN AG8 cable. I wouldn't say it's better than the stock cable, but... different, with little more forward basses and always that nice voices, with the Fiio m15.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #843 of 1,584
I've been giving the FD5 more listening time lately. Honestly, I could live happily ever after with just the FD5 as my one and only IEM. The FD7 is more of a guilty pleasure when I really want to "treat myself". I find FD5 more engaging probably due to its forwardness and V-shaped tuning. When I want the front row experience, this is what I gravitate towards. When I want to relax and enjoy the ambient, atmospheric, and see the grand scale of the venue I grab the FD7. Both brothers in the same family; the raw young adult (FD5), and the mature professional (FD7). 👍

MenacingCriminalBumblebee-max-1mb.gif

Absolutely enjoying this album right now on FD5
A1rLgkSycCL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #844 of 1,584
I've been giving the FD5 more listening time lately. Honestly, I could live happily ever after with just the FD5 as my one and only IEM. The FD7 is more of a guilty pleasure when I really want to "treat myself". I find FD5 more engaging probably due to its forwardness and V-shaped tuning. When I want the front row experience, this is what I gravitate towards. When I want to relax and enjoy the ambient, atmospheric, and see the grand scale of the venue I grab the FD7. Both brothers in the same family. 👍

Would the FD5s be a healthy compromise? Or haven't you tried yet? I mean, if you can sell 2 to keep 1 that you like for all situations...

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #845 of 1,584
Would the FD5s be a healthy compromise? Or haven't you tried yet? I mean, if you can sell 2 to keep 1 that you like for all situations...

drftr
I don't think there's 1 IEM that could handle both situations. Different presentations. 1 intimate, 1 laid back. That's why I like keeping both. :)

If I could only pick one, I might actually go with FD5 just because I prefer more intimate vocals and I like my guitar solos in my face (just like my Grados). 😁

Tbh, the experience from FD5/FD7 exceeds some of my older desktop/headphone rigs I've had in the past. All this in a portable form factor, which is amazing.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #846 of 1,584
I don't find the FD7 cold at all and would describe them as more musical than analytical. Sure they have great technicalities but I don't find it distracting to where I'm focusing on details vs music. It's still about the music/emotion to me. And the textures and timbre help convey that as well.

U12t I would describe as more technical/analytical sounding. But not overly so either. I think they're more source dependent as they are very transparent. For the U12t I prefer a warm/musical source like hip dac or D30 pro for example over the 9038S. I like them on all of them. 9038 sounds very clean, detailed, slightly analytical. Hip dac sounds more musical and relaxing.

U12t is as good as it gets for an all BA set. It's sort of a benchmark in my mind on how an all BA IEM should sound like. Solid 8/8.5 all around in all aspects. Very few to no faults I can think of. From tuning to how it handles BA timbre and bass. Just very well done and refined. And the apex modules allows to adjust the bass tuning as well. I usually stick with MX or M15 though since I'm not a basshead. Great BA technicalities as far as speed, detail, transients. But mids can be on the lean or thin side (depending on your source, cable, module used).

FD7 when I want that natural timbre, rich dynamic sound with good decay and textures. Amazing midrange and detail all around (slightly better than U12t). Listening to FD7 is interesting. It feels very massive and enveloping. Sometimes like I'm transported into a new world with music flowing all around me. Or in a massive stadium/arena.
Try IFI Go Blue with FD7, totally opposite of hipdac which I also love with U12T. Go blue is U shaped with spot on detail retrieval. It matches FD7 better than anything in my possession, including M11Pro and topping D50 stack, brings more sparkle in the top and a gets really nice bass slam. If you need more bass for travel it adds nice sub bass boost which gets FD7 the FD5 like kick albeit faster.. Im at around 250 hours now and FD7 keeps on opening up, the beryllium seems to be really stiff.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #847 of 1,584
Try IFI Go Blue with FD7, totally opposite of hipdac which I also love with U12T. Go blue is U shaped with spot on detail retrieval. It matches FD7 better than anything in my possession, including M11Pro and topping D50 stack, brings more sparkle in the top and a gets really nice bass slam. If you need more bass for travel it adds nice sub bass boost which gets FD7 the FD5 like kick albeit faster.. Im at around 250 hours now and FD7 keeps on opening up, the beryllium seems to be really stiff.
I have the Go Blu on my radar. I like the organic sound of Cirrus Logic chips. $200 is a bit pricey for a bluetooth dac/amp though, so I'm gonna wait for a sale. I have the RU6 incoming in the next few days and I'm pretty excited for that too.

I'm already quite happy with the E1DA 9038S pairing. The synergy with both FD5/FD7 is perfect. Soundstage, clarity, and detail is there and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Was contemplating on getting the RS6 as my first DAP, but early reports haven't been so favorable and I'm afraid it might be too warm with the FD7. Planning to wait for a N3ii pro instead. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #848 of 1,584
Ifi Go Blu pairs really well with my FDX, couldn’t be happier with the sound I get with this setup.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #851 of 1,584
I was using the Hip Dac as well. I have always thought that since Hip Dac having the Burr Brown Chips within, would lend to a warm and fun sound signature.

But today I learnt that is not the case. I am getting a more "Analogish" and Fun signature out the 3.5 mm jack from my laptop (HP Elitebook). The FD7's are lot more engaging, less Sterile, albeit more closed in soundstage (depth). This is akin to taking several steps back in the pursuit of good sound out of a extremely capable IEM, but it somehow works for me for now at the expense of some refinement. I still do wish that the IEM's were tuned with more note weight for lower mids.

I'll stick to this laptop setup for my listening pleasure and will check out the pairing with the IFI Go Blue in the future. Thank you for the recommendation!

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #852 of 1,584
I've been giving the FD5 more listening time lately. Honestly, I could live happily ever after with just the FD5 as my one and only IEM. The FD7 is more of a guilty pleasure when I really want to "treat myself". I find FD5 more engaging probably due to its forwardness and V-shaped tuning. When I want the front row experience, this is what I gravitate towards. When I want to relax and enjoy the ambient, atmospheric, and see the grand scale of the venue I grab the FD7. Both brothers in the same family; the raw young adult (FD5), and the mature professional (FD7). 👍

Absolutely enjoying this album right now on FD5
A1rLgkSycCL._SS500_.jpg

Have you tried replacing the large nozzles on the FD5 with one of the two large nozzles on the FD7?
I consider the FD5 more relaxed on the highs with the stock narrow nozzles. Unfortunately, I cannot use my favorite tips with them (Xelastec SednaEarfit) but only with the SpinFit CP800 tips which are good but do not have the same grip as the Xelastecs.

The narrow nozzles of the FD7 should be equivalent to the narrow nozzles of the FD5 so I ignore them.

Since it is possible to buy the FD7 nozzles through Aliexpress, I would like to know which of the two large nozzles of the FD7 (black or green) can better tame the high frequencies of the FD5 which in some contexts I like very much but in others I find them excessive.

Could you do this experiment for me? I would be very grateful to you.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #853 of 1,584
Have you tried replacing the large nozzles on the FD5 with one of the two large nozzles on the FD7?
I consider the FD5 more relaxed on the highs with the stock narrow nozzles. Unfortunately, I cannot use my favorite tips with them (Xelastec SednaEarfit) but only with the SpinFit CP800 tips which are good but do not have the same grip as the Xelastecs.

The narrow nozzles of the FD7 should be equivalent to the narrow nozzles of the FD5 so I ignore them.

Since it is possible to buy the FD7 nozzles through Aliexpress, I would like to know which of the two large nozzles of the FD7 (black or green) can better tame the high frequencies of the FD5 which in some contexts I like very much but in others I find them excessive.

Sure, I'll give it a try later today. I've been kinda curious what FD7 nozzle will sound like too on the FD5 but didn't bother since I like the way they sound right now with just xelastecs and large nozzle. Just perfect to my ears. I also have the crystals but don't like those as much. They just seem a lot stiffer and they still collect lint/dust.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #854 of 1,584
Sure, I'll give it a try later today. I've been kinda curious what FD7 nozzle will sound like too on the FD5 but didn't bother since I like the way they sound right now with just xelastecs and large nozzle. Just perfect to my ears. I also have the crystals but don't like those as much. They just seem a lot stiffer and they still collect lint/dust.
I thank you and I am waiting for news :wink:

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #855 of 1,584

See if this somehow helps:

https://squig.link/?share=Super_Rev...le),Fiio_FD7_(bass),Fiio_FD7_(bass_+_SpinFit)

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back