[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Nov 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #691 of 1,584
Tnx... I have yet to find a bad review from you :wink:

You mentioned the FA9 briefly. Yesterday saw it was discounted down to a rather incredible $350 in the FiiO shop on AliExpress...

drftr
Wow, a really good price. FiiO had a bunch of great deals, if I’ve seen right, FH7 was also on sale with a great prices

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #692 of 1,584
It’s not necessarily a lack of a lower response level or lack of strength (compared to the FD5), but a shorter/thinner resonance. The FD5 can stretch out a sub bass note a little longer. The FD7 is more like cool, cool,… I’m out, next note. I would assume (since it’s not my genre of choice) death metal (with it‘s rapid drum sequences) would favor the FD7.

I’ve found the FD7 to be hit or miss, with lower notes of older HipHop. e.g. Akon, “Konvict” is a miss. OutKast, “I like the way you move” is a hit.
When I made the above post, I was approximately 140ish hours into the break in. Now at 190ish, I re-listened to “Konvict” and the sub bass hits have improved in a very noticeable way. As @PopZeus has stated, any more low end response, may be too much.

Just for grins (while not a true FD7:FDX comparison), I’ll be trying the XinHS, ”Thick 8-core, gold-silver-copper hybrid” cable with the FD7
&
the NiceHCK DarkJade.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #693 of 1,584
When I made the above post, I was approximately 140ish hours into the break in. Now at 190ish, I re-listened to “Konvict” and the sub bass hits have improved in a very noticeable way. As @PopZeus has stated, any more low end response, may be too much.
Heh, yeah, on the whole, I'd trade a few dBs of the mid-bass for a sub-bass boost. But the sub-bass is definitely present enough to cut through most tracks when called for it. At least with my library. And if I'm being honest, I'm growing to like the FD7's mid-bass more since it has cleaned up over time.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #694 of 1,584
Heh, yeah, on the whole, I'd trade a few dBs of the mid-bass for a sub-bass boost. But the sub-bass is definitely present enough to cut through most tracks when called for it. At least with my library. And if I'm being honest, I'm growing to like the FD7's mid-bass more since it has cleaned up over time.
Maybe a great silver cable could help you out to keep mid-bass as tight as possible as the best alternative to reduce the bleeding?

drftr

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #695 of 1,584
Maybe a great silver cable could help you out to keep mid-bass as tight as possible as the best alternative to reduce the bleeding?

drftr
The stock cable is already pure silver (and all around one of the best cables I’ve ever gotten with an IEM) so I dont think swapping will do much to specifically add sub-bass, which really was the issue for me. And not even that big an issue. I still find the FD7 to be far and away the best IEM I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #696 of 1,584
The stock cable is already pure silver (and all around one of the best cables I’ve ever gotten with an IEM) so I dont think swapping will do much to specifically add sub-bass, which really was the issue for me. And not even that big an issue. I still find the FD7 to be far and away the best IEM I’ve ever owned.
Have you tried without using the filters or do you NEED to use one with the FD7? Could lead to more bass but also treble boost.

drftr

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #697 of 1,584
Have you tried without using the filters or do you NEED to use one with the FD7? Could lead to more bass but also treble boost.

drftr
The FD7 cannot be used without a filter.

For more than neutral bass and added sub bass the fix is FD5!

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #699 of 1,584
FD7 can be used without the filter/mesh, but this gonna ruin your imaging and staging. I tried it and its bad! But! I tried a different mesh and it brings the FD7 one level higher!
Yeah, there's a lot of experimenting going on with other IEMs and I wouldn't be surprised if the experience for @PopZeus can be optimized. Also, my earlier comment about a silver cable was meant for cleaning up mid-bass a bit, but if the focus is on more sub-bass then one could experiment with a copper cable, which normally has a little less control that can result in a fuller bass - albeit a less controlled one. Still if it's what someone is looking for, why not...

Maybe @tgx78 has experimented with modifying the bass performance of the FD7 and measured the changes??

drftr

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #701 of 1,584
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #702 of 1,584
My fdx arrived today. It looks so much better in person than in pictures. Stunning to be honest. I'm playing it through a bifrost2 to a90 at the moment as I'm working at my desk. Sounds really good out of the box but I'm looking forward to how it improves with more use.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #703 of 1,584
Sounds exceptional with the N6ii and r01. Going to try with the cayin c9 later and maybe the wm1z as both are gold!

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #705 of 1,584
Its def too early to say fully but:
lx - bass king - amazing for edm, techno etc
Elysium - amazing mids - vocal music, ambient etc
ier z1r - amazing bass and treble - slightly v shaped
sony ex1000 - the classic 1 dd - very detailed but can be intense
campfire solaris - nice tuning and holographic

fdx - very nice tuning, bassy when needed and def not fatiguing. The treble to my ears is just right. I could listen to these for hours. Mine have only got about 10 hrs on them though so not the finished article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back