[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 31, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #647 of 1,584
That's a very bold statement selling the M11 to keep the FD7 at their best. :thumbsup:
But I'm with you, the headphone/ speaker is, at least, the most important part in every chain.
Hands down on that. :)

I love the FD7! It is a real upgrade to my Tanchjim Oxygen. I tried so many iems, also very expansive ones and i always got back to good single DD iems. I don't like the timbre of BA, planar and electrostatic drivers. They always sounds unrealistic to my ears. The oxygen was the only iem that fits to my taste. Now the FD7 is the next one that fits, but has better resolution, staging and imaging. With the right source it sounds absolutely fantastic. With the LTD it wasn't a good match.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #648 of 1,584
I love the FD7! It is a real upgrade to my Tanchjim Oxygen. I tried so many iems, also very expansive ones and i always got back to good single DD iems. I don't like the timbre of BA, planar and electrostatic drivers. They always sounds unrealistic to my ears. The oxygen was the only iem that fits to my taste. Now the FD7 is the next one that fits, but has better resolution, staging and imaging. With the right source it sounds absolutely fantastic. With the LTD it wasn't a good match.
So the M11 is too "warm" for the FD7?

I'm in the same boat in regard to single DD iems, atm.
Like the FD5 with Final E-Tips quite a bit for what it do with the sound (and my listening pleasure), even with the slightly warmer Xperia 1 iii. ^^
But the FD5 has a bit more "energy" up high (Final E for this) and pronounced low bass compared to FD7, if i'm right.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #652 of 1,584
Sound quality is awesome, technicalities as well, but every note has a softness to it and doesn't sound very realistic to my ears. For me, the 9038s is a better match.
Everyone has the right to have a different taste!
I mostly evaluated the FD7 with M11 Plus and DX300 and with both the realistic timbre was what it set it apart from the competition.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #653 of 1,584
I'm not surprised since the 9038S had excellent synergy with the FD5 as well. I sometimes prefer this pairing over the Topping stack. Extremely detailed and intimate, and spacious.
If you like acoustic guitar Try Chris Jones Moonstruck or Niles Lofgren live.
to me the FD7 is phenomenal especially at it’s price point.
I was listening to this the other night out of the 9038S. Amazing acoustic performances. Pluck of the strings, tonality, and timbre of the guitars, the thwack and timing. All superb. Keep the music recommendations coming!

I think the only thing that would make the FD7 better is if it had a inner wooden chamber or wooden nozzles to add that resonance effect. Something like RS1 or PS500's. To give it that extra refinement and tonal richness. I'm extremely nitpicking though and this probably just works better for acoustic performances. :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #654 of 1,584
Sound quality is awesome, technicalities as well, but every note has a softness to it and doesn't sound very realistic to my ears. For me, the 9038s is a better match.
While I only have the m11pro and a DX 312 I do find the DX overall more enjoyable and musical to my ears. When the FD7 is connected to my ifi pro stack it only makes them better.
today I was out and about using my BTR5 and upgraded little bear balanced and if it wasn’t for the slightly audible noise it would be a recommended combo, that aside even the BTR5 on it own sounds good with the FD7 these are amazing IEM’s.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #655 of 1,584
I'm not surprised since the 9038S had excellent synergy with the FD5 as well. I sometimes prefer this pairing over the Topping stack. Extremely detailed and intimate, and spacious.

I was listening to this the other night out of the 9038S. Amazing acoustic performances. Pluck of the strings, tonality, and timbre of the guitars, the thwack and timing. All superb. Keep the music recommendations coming!

I think the only thing that would make the FD7 better is if it had a inner wooden chamber or wooden nozzles to add that resonance effect. Something like RS1 or PS500's. To give it that extra refinement and tonal richness. I'm extremely nitpicking though and this probably just works better for acoustic performances. :)
I have never heard those particular cans maybe in the future.
A few more some of these are hi res….
Way down deep by Jennifer Warnes big bass, Just a little loving Shelby Lynne, all your love ( turned to passion) Sara K, all is one Allan Taylor, this masquerade George Benson feels like you’re in the club, the guitar Guy Clark, I will remember Toto great drum, after midnight Hanne Boel very Tina Turner ish.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #656 of 1,584
Have you considered wooden ears, or a wooden ear drum as the bare minimum? 🤐

drftr

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #658 of 1,584
When i compare the UTWS5 set to aptx adaptive and the Qudelix 5K set to LDAC, the UTWS5 sounds more expanded. LDAC lacks in very deep bass and sounds slightly bloated in bass. I have a special track to test it.

The rumble at begining of this track is gone at LDAC on the 5K. When i switch to aptx HD, it is now there, also on UTWS5 at aptx adaptive. Oh, and i can't really hear a different between aptx HD on the 5K and aptx adaptive on UTWS5. So this is fine for me. Sure the UTWS5 is not a high end device, but it sounds very good to me for such a small cablefree adapter.

Thanks man for sharing this artist, i've been listening to his whole soundcloud this couple of days :L3000:. Those Sol Y Luna mixes are awesome. :beerchug:

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #659 of 1,584
FD7 vs IER-Z1R?

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #660 of 1,584
Different tunings. IER-Z1R is a highly refined Sony version of the V shaped signature. FD7 is more balanced in approach to its presentation. More mids body and fullness vs the Z1R but complimentary actually. FD7 has less bass emphasis vs the Z1R but has some excellent texture, tightness and speed. Z1R has a bit more in the way of bass impact and treble refinements but to be honest they are both very refined earphones. Mids and less bass is what the difference there is vs the IER-Z1R. Both have excellent stage there I would give the Z1R stage to be just a bit more expansive otherwise both have a nice wide stage.

Both amp extremely well and both are comparable so far as needing power for their full on sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back