FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #1,591 of 1,891
Can anyone compare the sound signature of FD5 to KZ ZSN PRO. If not maybe to Yamaha EPH-100 or Sony ex-85 (or their siblings brainwavz beta).
Second questions: have someone tested FD5 with sony a55?
It's been a long time since I had the yamaha, but the FD5 is on a different level to the eph-100, they're not even close to the same standard of sound. The FD5 is more musical, more natural and WAY more detailed in every frequency. Soundstage is FAR wider and taller too. You can't compare the two tbh. The eph100 has been eclipsed by many of the modern budget earphones tho. It was decent sounding for its day, I remember liking the fast mid bass it had and clear sound, but it was very narrow and lacked the warmth I like. It also has a horrible microphonic cable.

I haven't heard the zsn pro, I only had the original zsn. The fd5 tho is far more premium sounding than anything I've heard from KZ or CCA.

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,592 of 1,891
I haven't heard the Sony DAP you have, but my £150 Huawei POCO M3 mobile phone can drive them fine and I tried them there with an old budget Xduoo DAP and it was fine too. I obviously can't say for certain, but the a55 should be fine... Can't mind if the old Sony DAPs had a volume limiter? Even then, doubt it would be an issue.

I use a FIIO m6 and haven't come close to going full volume. They're pretty easy to drive, an AMP can give them at tiny bit more oomph, but you can say that of most earphones. It's not a necessity.

If you're coming from the eph100 you'd be getting a far superior sound. Tbh, even the FIIO FD1 is an upgrade to that IEM IMO. The FIIO FH3 is a similar sound, but again much tighter and more detailed. I'm going by memory tho... It's been 2 or 3 years since I had the eph100.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,593 of 1,891
It's been a long time since I had the yamaha, but the FD5 is on a different level to the eph-100, they're not even close to the same standard of sound. The FD5 is more musical, more natural and WAY more detailed in every frequency. Soundstage is FAR wider and taller too. You can't compare the two tbh. The eph100 has been eclipsed by many of the modern budget earphones tho. It was decent sounding for its day, I remember liking the fast mid bass it had and clear sound, but it was very narrow and lacked the warmth I like. It also has a horrible microphonic cable.

I haven't heard the zsn pro, I only had the original zsn. The fd5 tho is far more premium sounding than anything I've heard from KZ or CCA.
Love the FD5. It has such great technicalities!

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,594 of 1,891
Love the FD5. It has such great technicalities!
I also really love fd5. Actually i tried other and pricier fiio iems, but for me fd5 is spot on. Even looking at dd iems fd7 for me not very much an upgrade , because overal fd5 for me on the same level technically only different more dynamic, exiting and v shaped tuning. Ofcourse when first listening it could have too much upper treble or a little too big bass but with right tips and right source all of this becomes non existent. And cable of fd5 is fantastic , i even use it for other iems that i currently use - timeless. And it upgrades this iem clearly so the same is with fd5. Now use fd 5 when need good dd with its dynamic base and timeless when need planar with its speed and control. Both are fantastic iems and the only two that i will use very long in the future. Happy to hear that still are people here that really likes and uses fd5.

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,595 of 1,891

Thanks! Would you be afraid to pair FD5 with warm player? I haven't received Sony yet but the whole idea if buying DAP was to get something for FD5. I have ipod touch 2g but it plays worse than laptop with KZ zsn pro. It plays too bright and some part of upper midrange (like 2k maybe?) seem to be upped to much with this pairing.

Im wondering should i get FD5 first and still try with ipod touch or get sony first. If sony doesnt seem to be the best choice i can get hidizs ap80, hiby r3 saber pro, shanling mx2, mx3. Something just tells me that i will like sony.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #1,596 of 1,891
Thanks! Would you be afraid to pair FD5 with warm player? I haven't received Sony yet but the whole idea if buying DAP was to get something for FD5. I have ipod touch 2g but it plays worse than laptop with KZ zsn pro. It plays too bright and some part of upper midrange (like 2k maybe?) seem to be upped to much with this pairing.

Im wondering should i get FD5 first and still try with ipod touch or get sony first. If sony doesnt seem to be the best choice i can get hidizs ap80, hiby r3 saber pro, shanling mx2, mx3. Something just tells me that i will like sony.
The fd5 pairs so well my M6Pro!

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,597 of 1,891
I also really love fd5. Actually i tried other and pricier fiio iems, but for me fd5 is spot on. Even looking at dd iems fd7 for me not very much an upgrade , because overal fd5 for me on the same level technically only different more dynamic, exiting and v shaped tuning. Ofcourse when first listening it could have too much upper treble or a little too big bass but with right tips and right source all of this becomes non existent. And cable of fd5 is fantastic , i even use it for other iems that i currently use - timeless. And it upgrades this iem clearly so the same is with fd5. Now use fd 5 when need good dd with its dynamic base and timeless when need planar with its speed and control. Both are fantastic iems and the only two that i will use very long in the future. Happy to hear that still are people here that really likes and uses fd5.
"Ofcourse when first listening it could have too much upper treble or a little too big bass but with right tips and right source becomes non existent"

Agreed 100%

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,598 of 1,891

I haven't read enough about the Sony tbh to give you an opinion on it. So not sure how warm it is? The FD5 reacts very differently to sources. Tho tbh, I've not heard one pairing I didn't like.

I use the thinner filter and the vocal tips that comes with it and hooked up to my fiio m6 I love it.

If I use the wider filter I use the balanced tips with fiio m6. Occasionally I hook up a small portable headphone AMP when using the wide filter which tightens it up BUT loses some air that the m6 provides on its own.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,599 of 1,891
Well said and reflects my own experience.

I do like the FD7 out of the Mojo, but I miss my FD5, which i've lend to my little brother for a few weeks.

FD7 isn't much of an upgrade to the FD5 (with Final-E tips) for me.

If I want a smoother presentation of the FD5, i plug them on my Xperia 1 iii, but most of the time the Mojo takes the lead.

Suits (symphonic) metal really well, for my ears of course. :)

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,601 of 1,891
@Guy Fawkes

As promised I have listened both songs.
For my ears nothing really piercing or harsh or really annoying.
Just enough bite to add energy and give highs their proper share of the frequency band and distinguish details and sounds.
And that bass , oh that bass you are going to really love it!

What are you using as a source here? Some Android tablet?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,602 of 1,891

FiiO FD5 Review (IEM)​

This is a review and detailed measurements of the FiiO FD5 IEM.

Link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fiio-fd5-review-iem.32578/#post-1143120
1649305794392.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,603 of 1,891
Hello Guys,

Been a happy owner of FD5 for little over 6 months now!
Recently I started tips rolling - been using lately Final E Series and SpinFits for the small nozzle and I can say Finals did serve me pretty well
I can't remember but someone here mentioned some tips from Audiosense: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001352349960.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.1b2b18024IoUcT
(Pardon me for not clarify, but I didn't go back to look for the mention)
I actually did order these:beyersmile: lol and Oh Boy....those just blew the other right out of the water...
Maybe my brain just got washed or something lol...but at first I wasn't impressed much when playing through my PC. Then I started listening through UAPP on my phone (using KA3) and man I could definitely tell the difference with these compared to Final e or SpinFits (which by the way are pretty overrated). With those I can hear really full and nice vocals, deep and punchy bass, soundstage got opened up more and like a 3D effect in my head (lol again maybe my brain just started to play tricks on me)...But these are real gem and thanks for the guy who mentioned it cause now I do appreciate the tip rolling again, after been a bit disappointed from the aforementioned :L3000:

May 5, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,604 of 1,891
Hello Guys,

Been a happy owner of FD5 for little over 6 months now!
Recently I started tips rolling - been using lately Final E Series and SpinFits for the small nozzle and I can say Finals did serve me pretty well
I can't remember but someone here mentioned some tips from Audiosense: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001352349960.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.1b2b18024IoUcT
(Pardon me for not clarify, but I didn't go back to look for the mention)
I actually did order these:beyersmile: lol and Oh Boy....those just blew the other right out of the water...
Maybe my brain just got washed or something lol...but at first I wasn't impressed much when playing through my PC. Then I started listening through UAPP on my phone (using KA3) and man I could definitely tell the difference with these compared to Final e or SpinFits (which by the way are pretty overrated). With those I can hear really full and nice vocals, deep and punchy bass, soundstage got opened up more and like a 3D effect in my head (lol again maybe my brain just started to play tricks on me)...But these are real gem and thanks for the guy who mentioned it cause now I do appreciate the tip rolling again, after been a bit disappointed from the aforementioned :L3000:
I recommend the AZLA Sedna Xelastec, they are different from everything else, if you try them you will never leave them again.

May 5, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,605 of 1,891
I recommend the AZLA Sedna Xelastec, they are different from everything else, if you try them you will never leave them again.
Maybe I will one day lol...I know these were hyped pretty much a lot throughout the forum and beyond (hopefully not as disappointing as SpinFits though)
but for now I'm in a musical bliss with those Audiosense tips :angel:
In the meantime I ordered these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001556912966.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.1aea1802304Dp4
They have pretty good reviews and lot of orders too...
Will comment right after I get them lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back