FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,576 of 1,891
My preferred source with this IEM is the Cayin N3Pro in triode mode. Still V-shaped but not as intense.
Have you tried it with RU6 or R01? I like the pairing with N3Pro too but I think I like it with the RU6 a little more.

FD5 still my favorite single DD under $300.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #1,577 of 1,891
Have you tried it with RU6 or R01? I like the pairing with N3Pro too but I think I like it with the RU6 a little more.

Agree. Both my FD5 and FD7 sound so nice with the RU6. Love the RU6. My new favourite toy!

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #1,579 of 1,891

No RU6, but I do have the R01, and the FD5 paired with that DAP-module is very good. However, with the FD7, the combo is incredible. This is my nice-to-have problem, which is I'm ultimately grading everything against how much I love the FD7. It just gets so much right and doesn't really need any EQ or sculpting to fix the FR. To me, the crucial element is that triode mode on the N3Pro specifically fixes what I don't love about the FD5. There's no equivalent to that on the N6ii-R01. And just going by my personal experience, when I pair the FD5 with the N3Pro, the technical performance is evenly matched. When I pair the FD5 with the N6ii, I feel like I'm hitting a ceiling on performance. The FD7 allows me to fully enjoy the R01 with no (or very little) ceiling. I've not heard the RU6 but given what I know, it probably pairs well with the FD5—it just doesn't have a triode mode equivalent, besides I guess EQ.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,580 of 1,891
No RU6, but I do have the R01, and the FD5 paired with that DAP-module is very good. However, with the FD7, the combo is incredible. This is my nice-to-have problem, which is I'm ultimately grading everything against how much I love the FD7. It just gets so much right and doesn't really need any EQ or sculpting to fix the FR. To me, the crucial element is that triode mode on the N3Pro specifically fixes what I don't love about the FD5. There's no equivalent to that on the N6ii-R01. And just going by my personal experience, when I pair the FD5 with the N3Pro, the technical performance is evenly matched. When I pair the FD5 with the N6ii, I feel like I'm hitting a ceiling on performance. The FD7 allows me to fully enjoy the R01 with no (or very little) ceiling. I've not heard the RU6 but given what I know, it probably pairs well with the FD5—it just doesn't have a triode mode equivalent, besides I guess EQ.
Gotcha, that is a nice problem to have. 😉 Switching to xelastecs evened out the FR for me, no EQ needed. I prefer it way more than stock. I usually recommend rolling tips first, then cables, then source to fine tune the sound.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,582 of 1,891
Just rethinking how I EQ the FD5... Instead of trying to remove excess lower treble, boosting 1k +3dB and 2k +2dB is a much more balanced approach to my ears. That little tip pushes vocals more forward and makes the treble less accented and fatiguing. Bass is untouched and still one of the best parts of this IEM, but the mids have a bit more presence in relation as well. I guess you could call this a W-shape but really all I hear is the FD5 with a bit more naturality and refinement.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,583 of 1,891
Just rethinking how I EQ the FD5... Instead of trying to remove excess lower treble, boosting 1k +3dB and 2k +2dB is a much more balanced approach to my ears. That little tip pushes vocals more forward and makes the treble less accented and fatiguing. Bass is untouched and still one of the best parts of this IEM, but the mids have a bit more presence in relation as well. I guess you could call this a W-shape but really all I hear is the FD5 with a bit more naturality and refinement.
I found the perfect EQ for my ears with the FD5 using a 10 bands equalizer of my BTR5 and Sedna Xelastec tips:

31,5hz. +0.7
62hz -1.4
125hz. -3.9
250hz -4.0
500hz. -1.0
1000hz +1.2
2000hz. 0.0
4000hz. +3.3
8000hz. -6.4
16000hz +0.4

in this way I get a much more balanced sound, try and tell me what you think :wink:

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #1,585 of 1,891
will there be a successor to fd3 sometime soon?
Generally the life cycle of our products is about 18 to 24 months, and we will release new upgrade model based on the market competition and development progress. You may check whether the FD5 or FD7 could meet your need?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #1,586 of 1,891
The FD5 has been my everyday listen for the last 3 months, so wee update. They are amazing. I had a love hate affair at first, but finding the right tips helped keep that bass in check, which I found loose at first. They also seemed to get better over time, well over 100 hours, so burn-in may have been a factor. Luckily tho, last week I was giving a friend an old portable amp for his phone (the Topping NX2) and to make sure it worked still, I paired it with my FIIO M6. in LO. OH MY GOD... what was I missing. I genuinely thought the M6 in Headphone Out was a powerful enough source, but how wrong I was. The NX2 - although old - is ruler flat in output. It's just power and it has plenty of it. I only stopped using it as it doesn't pair well with Wifi devices close to it, you get some annoying noise. I love the FIIO M6, it's portable, and you can use Tidal in download mode. It's also got a nice laid back, but detailed enough balance to it's sound. For everyday use, i hate having an amp glued to it tho lol. BUT WITH AN AMP...

All of a sudden the top end... which I couldn't understand why owners were saying it could be overwhelming - truly opened up. Like night and day, veil lifted stuff. Now I still don't think it's fatiguing like some have said, and I don't feel I need to change to copper cables, the provided one is fantastic... but I am 43, so younger ears may find them fatiguing I guess. I have heard some sibilance where I didn't before with from HO in M6... but it's not troubling or harsh and it's on songs known for it. With the new pairing tho it's just more premium sounding and I can now appreciate the £250+ price tag now. Before I did think I'd overpaid for it's great, but laid back sound. Soundstage has expanded and now has plenty of air. I found that it sounded a bit within the head before, similar to the FH3.

But the best part is I'm hearing MUCH BETTER levels of detail and separation. Resolution greatly benefits from the right source and is now more akin to a £250+ earphone. What I can say is I'd never call them bright and the recessed mids from before are no longer an issue for me, as they are more forward and present. Still a slightly V shaped listen tho, bass is till slightly loose and fluffy at times, but an AMP has tightened them up. They will always be more musical than analytical, regardless of source.

Sooooo, make sure you power these properly. I feel like I'm hearing them for the first time again. Don't use a warm or laid back source, something neutral or flat really is that sweet spot. I can maybe appreciate that brighter sources could overwhelm the top end, so perhaps that's why some users find it fatiguing or sharp.

EDIT : My friend didn't get the nx2 btw

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,587 of 1,891
I wrote a full written review about FD3, and I gotta say, I like their sound, good overall build quality, and nice detailing for the price paid!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/02/fiio-fd3-iems-budget-sparks.html

FiiO-FD3-Dynamic-IEMs-Earphones-Chifi-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-06.jpg

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,588 of 1,891
Hey, can anyone suggest a decent neutral/flat desktop amp that pairs well with the FD5, maybe something slightly thinner sounding? I have a Music Fidelity amp that's great but it's very smooth... Being fed by a DAC that has an ak4490 chip which is equally smooth. The fd5 sounds very BIG, but I lose some detail by the thicker low end boost this combo seems to give. I'd only like to spend around £100 as the above combo is perfect for the headphones I use. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back