FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,427 of 1,891
Good tip 😋. However I did use the exact same tips as I did before when I listened to them when all was just fine, Final E tips. But have tried several others, that is not the problem I'm afraid.

Begs to question what changed if they once sounded good. Maybe the pair you have is defective?

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #1,429 of 1,891
That's indeed what I'm afraid off. But is there somehow a tool to measure this?
Now it sounds just like a cheap IEM. Also tried to EQ the bass a bit which before with the demo set was very easy but now it seems to have almost no effect.
Are you using the same source? Did you purchase from here? FD5 responds well to EQ.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #1,430 of 1,891
Are you using the same source? Did you purchase from here? FD5 responds well to EQ.
Indeed all settings equal as before. How do you mean purchase from here? And indeed my experience was also they respond good to EQ but now not anymore 🤔. I will do some further research. I have the feeling something wrong with the driver? Maybe previously guy had them in the washer 😬
How knows. I try to contact Fiio Netherlands here as they are purchased there and I have the invoice

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,431 of 1,891
That's indeed what I'm afraid off. But is there somehow a tool to measure this?
Now it sounds just like a cheap IEM. Also tried to EQ the bass a bit which before with the demo set was very easy but now it seems to have almost no effect.

I EQ my FD5 with xbass on the hip DAC and it takes all the sub bass like a champ. I'd say the best tool is your ears, you've had prior experience with it and know what it should sound like. If it varies drastically, it's likely that you may have gotten a defective set.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,432 of 1,891
Indeed all settings equal as before. How do you mean purchase from here? And indeed my experience was also they respond good to EQ but now not anymore 🤔. I will do some further research. I have the feeling something wrong with the driver? Maybe previously guy had them in the washer 😬
How knows. I try to contact Fiio Netherlands here as they are purchased there and I have the invoice

I thought you may have purchased from the classified section of this forum. But since you have the invoice, contacting Fiio is best way to solve it. Hope you sort it out quickly.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,433 of 1,891
Ok did receive my FD5s. I did listen to these before and was impressed with the soundstage and authoritive bass. But What, where have they gone ....Totally not impressed, poor bass, poor soundstage. The guy before me had these 6 months, one would say these have burned in. If someone has a tip for me I would be glad to hear
Check the removable nozzles (aka sound tubes), maybe the prior owner added some sort of sound dampening material, to either the inside or the outside of the screens.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,434 of 1,891
Check the removable nozzles (aka sound tubes), maybe the prior owner added some sort of sound dampening material, to either the inside or the outside of the screens.
Good tip. Fiio here in the Netherlands suggested also to check the nozzles. Don't think this is it because I did already remove the nozzles to check everything. But will check it today again ✌️

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,435 of 1,891
Update: I did clean the nozzles and did some further testing. The sound has improved definitely, so good news. I think there are 3 factors which caused my bad listening experience.
1. Maybe the nozzles were indeed not clean (although I don't think this was the case)
2. My expectations were maybe higher to begin with
3. This one is i think the cause: the nozzles were getting loose in my ear because of the fiddling/ fitting, i always twist the IEMs in my ears. So I did make them real tight so they don't can't come loose.

And I think they are maybe not properly burned in yet. The previously owner says he did use them for 100 hours so don't know if that is enough ....

So happily to report that everything is alright with the FD5. Thanks for thinking with me all 👍

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #1,436 of 1,891
Update: I did clean the nozzles and did some further testing. The sound has improved definitely, so good news. I think there are 3 factors which caused my bad listening experience.
1. Maybe the nozzles were indeed not clean (although I don't think this was the case)
2. My expectations were maybe higher to begin with
3. This one is i think the cause: the nozzles were getting loose in my ear because of the fiddling/ fitting, i always twist the IEMs in my ears. So I did make them real tight so they don't can't come loose.

And I think they are maybe not properly burned in yet. The previously owner says he did use them for 100 hours so don't know if that is enough ....

So happily to report that everything is alright with the FD5. Thanks for thinking with me all 👍
With certain tips, the deeper you tight the earphones in you ears, the worse the sound becomes. You can do it without problems if you use the foam tips but with the silicone tips, I recommend you don't tighten too much and find the right compromise.

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,437 of 1,891
I ordered a set of FD3 Pros and they arrived awhile ago (still seems weird that the USPS delivers on Sunday).

I have a question for anyone that owns the Pros - Are they dark black or more like black chrome? I ask because when I first took them out of the package I thought I was sent the non-pro version by mistake, because in bright lighting they look a lot more like chrome than black. However the cable is clearly silver and the label on the box says FD3 Pro. I realize the cable is the only difference between the two versions, but I expected the Pro to look more black like in the online pics.

I took some photos in attempt of proving my point, but they look more like chrome in person in a bright room than they do in the pic. I then took one after removing the tip and the tube clearly is more silver than the body. Not a big deal but I was expecting/hoping they'd be darker black. Either way, they are fingerprint magnets!

Thanks in advance! Now on to the important part, giving them a first listen.

20210905_150911.jpg

20210905_152429.jpg

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,438 of 1,891
After more research I believe I got confused between the FD3 and FD5 models. I know the FD5 is silver but I thought the regular FD3 was silver and the Pro was black, but it seems that both are black. Nevertheless I still think they look more silver than black depending on the room lighting.

Anyhow, so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. More later...

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,439 of 1,891
Got my hands on an FD3 for review. Just an unboxing + measurement for now.

Here's the frequency response: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Fiio_FD3

graph - 2021-09-05T220820.572.png

This is VERY similar to the FD5; could accurately describe this as Fiio's Starfield.

graph - 2021-09-05T220841.436.png

In direct comparison, the FD3 seems to have a smidge less treble than the FD5. But the FD3 comes with an alternate nozzle, which gives it a bit more treble...and then almost exactly matches the FD5. As someone who personally found the lower treble on FD5 somewhat fatiguing, I'll take the reduction, please.

Attachments

• graph - 2021-09-05T220833.143.png
    graph - 2021-09-05T220833.143.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,440 of 1,891
Tried out the narrow tubes tonight with the triple flange tips. Gotta say I like the sound of these too. I wouldn't say there's more bass, but the tonality is definitely different/darker. If you find the treble too bright or sibilant before, I highly recommend the narrow tubes with triple flange, no signs of sibilance at all and very good balance. Sound is slightly darker than neutral but still good treble detail and resolution.

The fit take a little to adjust and get used to. Similar to Etymotics with deep insertion. Had to angle them and twist into my ear in order to get a good fit, but once they're in they're pretty comfortable. Sound is more intimate and not as open as the wide nozzle. So soundstage sounds more like your typical closed IEM instead of semi open back. But the tuning is excellent and near perfect to my ideal tuning. Everything is so well balanced and nothing stands out over the other. No spikes or dips anywhere. Very fun and musical.

FD5 has become one of my favorite reference grade IEMs now. The ability to switch up the presentation is nice and it responds so well to different tips, cables, etc. An audiophile's dream! I'm eager to hear what the FD7's have to offer. :)

Edit: It handles acoustic music like a champ, Jack Johnson's On and On sounds fantastic! Can't stop listening, I'm rediscovering this album on an intimate level. Pink Floyd sounds great too. These make a good substitute for my full size Grado's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back