FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #286 of 1,891
How is their treble after EQ? I would rather EQ than dampen the drivers.

If the edges are too sharp then no EQ can help so I am hoping it's the quantity rather than the nature of the treble itself.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #288 of 1,891
Is the treble too bright, or is it more the upper mids?

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #289 of 1,891
The RHA nozzles can be purchased from RHA for £5 a pair, very much worth it IMO.
Great impressions been waiting for your input! Btw are these an upgrade over what you have? Also with those nozzles does the sound still retain it's technical abilities and details?

@ledzep lol keep those discount codes coming In brother! I don't know how you find them but I definitely will not complain. 😉

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #290 of 1,891
It looks like the RHA nozzles lessen the level of the 2.5 kHz hill more than they lessen the higher frequencies so quite a bit of brightness is removed while much of the bite/crisp/air is retained. I don't feel they lack any details, I just feel they are less bright and have become pretty much completely non-fatiguing. Certainly one of my very best pair of phones, no doubt about that.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #292 of 1,891
All nozzles but the treble nozzle are currently unavailable on RHA.
In stock at my end Screenshot_20210101-072743_Chrome.jpg

Jan 1, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #295 of 1,891
Interesting.... has someone tried if the LZ A7 filters fit? I'll check...

Edit : Doesn't work the screw part is much bigger on A7
Ordered myself a full set of RHA filters

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #296 of 1,891
It looks like the RHA nozzles lessen the level of the 2.5 kHz hill more than they lessen the higher frequencies so quite a bit of brightness is removed while much of the bite/crisp/air is retained. I don't feel they lack any details, I just feel they are less bright and have become pretty much completely non-fatiguing. Certainly one of my very best pair of phones, no doubt about that.
I am wondering how the bass and treble tuning filters would sound also. Wouldn't the treble filter just sound very similar to the stock sound and do the bass filters make the sound more natural without sacrificing details? Ahh these filters do also take me back to the start of my iem journey when I once bought the rockjaw Alfa genus V2. They also had 3 great tuning filters that I loved but starting from the treble filter, the more you go up the more loss of definition/air was noticed although sounding more natural aswell.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #297 of 1,891
Before everyone is frantic in getting extra nozzles for the FD5. I am gonna tell you guys, it is a better idea to get the FD5 and hear them for yourselves. I think Fiio went for a reference level of definition on these with the combination of a highly resolving cable and a larger than average sound stage. Dont know how that prism baffle plays in how the sound projects but sound seems to be more frontal than most IEMs. The positive with this presentation is that your gonna get your detail and the FD5 has some astounding technical ability. Sound layering especially is amazing on the FD5. It doesn't reach the level of my Luna but FD5 has its own unique sound in that regard.

These do make for excellent movie watching and gaming since the sound has a large stage with a very dynamic and dimensional sound due to that layering. You can clearly make out frontal, mid and back ground sounds in good recordings. This frontal sound includes some very extended treble response as a sound design. I don't feel the upper mids are boosted any more than any other harmonish tuned earphones but I think it is more due to that forward projection of the sound that is causing that detail to be a touch fatiguing on more aggressive tracks.

With all these posts of new filters and such, last night I took the stock cable off of the FD5 and used a less resolving SPC cable. Sound tuning is the same but the sound get much more smoother a bit less defined but you know what. That stage, that imaging and layering is intact. With the combination of this cable and my foam tips. I can now listen to the M15 perfectly. I had a good long 3 hour session last night and for me I would have this level of detail for an earphone that you can tone down via external methods vs a tuning that is too reserved.

Also I mentioned this before. Your sources will matter. If your using a highly detailed neutrally tuned source. You might find the sound a bit fatiguing. If you use a warm sounding source. Your golden.. The FD5 has been a surprise to me for several reasons and it isn't perfect but like all good things in life. You have to try a few things with them to get them to mesh with what you have. But once you get them going on.

Your gonna be rewarded with one of the best bang for buck sounds in the industry.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #298 of 1,891
Before everyone is frantic in getting extra nozzles for the FD5. I am gonna tell you guys, it is a better idea to get the FD5 and hear them for yourselves. I think Fiio went for a reference level of definition on these with the combination of a highly resolving cable and a larger than average sound stage. Dont know how that prism baffle plays in how the sound projects but sound seems to be more frontal than most IEMs. The positive with this presentation is that your gonna get your detail and the FD5 has some astounding technical ability. Sound layering especially is amazing on the FD5. It doesn't reach the level of my Luna but FD5 has its own unique sound in that regard.

These do make for excellent movie watching and gaming since the sound has a large stage with a very dynamic and dimensional sound due to that layering. You can clearly make out frontal, mid and back ground sounds in good recordings. This frontal sound includes some very extended treble response as a sound design. I don't feel the upper mids are boosted any more than any other harmonish tuned earphones but I think it is more due to that forward projection of the sound that is causing that detail to be a touch fatiguing on more aggressive tracks.

With all these posts of new filters and such, last night I took the stock cable off of the FD5 and used a less resolving SPC cable. Sound tuning is the same but the sound get much more smoother a bit less defined but you know what. That stage, that imaging and layering is intact. With the combination of this cable and my foam tips. I can now listen to the M15 perfectly. I had a good long 3 hour session last night and for me I would have this level of detail for an earphone that you can tone down via external methods vs a tuning that is too reserved.

Also I mentioned this before. Your sources will matter. If your using a highly detailed neutrally tuned source. You might find the sound a bit fatiguing. If you use a warm sounding source. Your golden.. The FD5 has been a surprise to me for several reasons and it isn't perfect but like all good things in life. You have to try a few things with them to get them to mesh with what you have. But once you get them going on.

Your gonna be rewarded with one of the best bang for buck sounds in the industry.
Totally agree, you have to play see what works for you and the source and also the genre of music plays a massive part in the end result. I'd say about 70% of my music tastes work well and sound outstanding, I just need that bit extra so the £11 on extra nozzles are worth a try, even better if Fiio take Dsnuts advice and whip up a new filter for us all. Should have the filters by Tues so will add my thoughts then, definitely a good purchase and I'd recommend them to anyone and most of us ( if not all ) have a few pairs of other iems that can fill the holes that the FD5'S don't.
And found that the Kbear believes fill that hole very well !

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #299 of 1,891

How does then NM2+ compare to the FD5?

And, has anyone tried the narrow nozzle with the triple flange ear tips? I’m curious how the isolation is with that combination?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back