FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #361 of 381
Is the noise on the Fiio M11 mainly from the 3.5mm port as well?

I have not experienced any hissing or other noise on my M11 but that may be because I do not remember using the 3.5mm port.
There was some noise on the 3.5, more on the 4.4 when using these IEM's. But I've just about had it with the Fiio anyway. It likes to switch playback rates when I go from Spotify back to Amazon Music HD. If I do so, it reports the HD tracks as 44.1 instead of it's true quality. Not sure if it's actually downsampling like Android likes doing, but that combined with the insanely "cold' color temperature of the screen makes it a drawer dweller whereas my DX160 (although slower and clunky) gets more use.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #362 of 381
Is the noise on the Fiio M11 mainly from the 3.5mm port as well?

I have not experienced any hissing or other noise on my M11 but that may be because I do not remember using the 3.5mm port.
The M11´s 3.5mm port is half the OI of the 4.4mm. (at 1 OI vs 2 for the balanced ports.)

So the SE port should hiss less.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #364 of 381
There was some noise on the 3.5, more on the 4.4 when using these IEM's. But I've just about had it with the Fiio anyway. It likes to switch playback rates when I go from Spotify back to Amazon Music HD. If I do so, it reports the HD tracks as 44.1 instead of it's true quality. Not sure if it's actually downsampling like Android likes doing, but that combined with the insanely "cold' color temperature of the screen makes it a drawer dweller whereas my DX160 (although slower and clunky) gets more use.
I have also noticed the Amazon Music downsampling when using the M11, it is odd.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #365 of 381
is there any chance it could be a cable issue?
Dont think so, a low quality cable (higher resistance) would actually help with reducing hiss....

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #366 of 381
I just got the Jade version of the FD1 last night. For the price, I just wanted to see what an easy to fit IEM was like. I’m not kidding when I saw I’ve struggled with getting IEMs to fit. It has been a challenge, but eventually I can seem to make anything work With easily acquired tips. These are the first IEMs that literally fit right out of the box and fit perfectly. It usually takes me days to months of ordering tips in multipacks and going through a lot of changes, changing cables, looping over the ears, etc... sound-wise, these things need work but do show some promise. The soundstage is huge for me. Biggest I’ve heard from an IEM. I enjoy a large soundstage immensely and it encourages me. The bass is also tight and clean and fairly deep. For $30, I’m IMPRESSED. The upper mids/treble is where I have problems: 3-10kHz. This whole region seems quite pronounced and needs tamed. I haven’t rolled any tips yet, these have only been used for 30 minutes, and I’m not interested in blocking off the vents. I just don’t want to cause these drivers to have any problems. My first thing will be to try the bass tips. I doubt that will be enough though. Burn in may tame them a bit, but I seriously doubt that will be enough either. That hole region seems HOT! There’s always EQ, but I’d really like to optimize them acoustically first And then tweak the EQ to perfection. Has anyone tried placing a filter in the nozzle? I was thinking of trying the FDX1 mod with alcohol swabs, but I’d love to hear suggestions from more experienced IEM fanatics. If there was somewhere to get pre-made, swappable filters it would be best Just to makes things easy and prexcise.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #368 of 381
So like a crazy person, I went forth with the alcohol swabs mod and it’s definitely an improvement, but also needs some work As it was still too bright/sharp/piercing/sibilant/ whatever you want to call it and vocal formants were too recessed. I added the tape, but it just became too dark then. Removing the tape and just using the EQ to knock down the 8kHz spike by 7dB definitely makes this all day listenable. I’m sure with some tweaking, this this can be a $30 game changer. It’s a much better driver than what comes in the $20 Moondrop Starship. Not sure how it compares to the $40 SSR/SSP. In any case, I think less swab and less tape may well be the answer—or just tape.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #371 of 381
You can try micropore tape covering 80-90% of the nozzle, if that works for you sonically you could look into sizing a more permanent filtering solution.
tried just this and it’s definitely better than my first attempt. Wish I had just started with this. Still mild sibilants, but definitely tolerable. I’ve got to wait until more ear wax screen filters come in to do more testing. Such an easy fix. It’s a shame they don’t come like this because I’m sure Fiio could manufacture these to perfection. These things really make me want to hear the FD5.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #372 of 381
Hi!

I'm looking for a upgrade for the Tin HiFi T2 *Pro*.

The focus of IEM would basically be to listen to female vocals (or slightly higher-pitched male vocals). Do you guys think FiiO FD1 or the FiiO FH1S would be a good option for those who listen mainly to female vocals?

I just loved the T2 *Pro's*, because they sounded great on female vocals, but I really would like a little more "punch" on the bass.

PS: I read in several comments that the FiiO FD1 is very good for female vocals, but at the same time he is not good with the micro details (so I am in doubt between him and the FH1S). That is true? Because another thing I really like about T2 Pro is the micro details.

If anyone wants to know the type of music I listen to before answering, I even created a topic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/looking-for-a-upgrade-for-the-tin-hifi-t2-pro.957349/

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #373 of 381
I don’t know, but the FD1 is fairly bright and all the measurements I’ve seen online of it agree on that and they all look essentially the same. Which means QC is pretty good I would think. With that said, it’s bright in a way that mods have been shown to correct for the most part. I used a roughly 80% tape mod combined with about 1/2 the size of the Drop JVC FD1X’s neutral filter mod and that seems to have gotten it pretty close to a neutral presentation with plenty of detail, soundstage, and imaging. It should really come like this right out of the box. Well, actually more refined. This thing has potential to be killer and cheap.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #374 of 381
Hi!

I'm looking for a upgrade for the Tin HiFi T2 *Pro*.

The focus of IEM would basically be to listen to female vocals (or slightly higher-pitched male vocals). Do you guys think FiiO FD1 or the FiiO FH1S would be a good option for those who listen mainly to female vocals?

I just loved the T2 *Pro's*, because they sounded great on female vocals, but I really would like a little more "punch" on the bass.

PS: I read in several comments that the FiiO FD1 is very good for female vocals, but at the same time he is not good with the micro details (so I am in doubt between him and the FH1S). That is true? Because another thing I really like about T2 Pro is the micro details.

If anyone wants to know the type of music I listen to before answering, I even created a topic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/looking-for-a-upgrade-for-the-tin-hifi-t2-pro.957349/

Thanks!
You won't be disappointed of the vocal presentation of the FD01, i'd say.

I like to listen to music like Keri Noble and so on, but they also sound really nice with female fronted metal bands.
I've to say that i'm listening at low volume.
Not that impressive headstage of the FD05, but very enjoyable for me with more engaged mids/ high-mids compared to FD05.
It's really nice to swith between these two depending on my mood.
My CH9T is collecting dust now. ^^
My Ety 2XR is still in its pouch case.

The last weeks i had more listening time with FD01 and FD05 than with my Era-1 or SEM5. :smile:

The FD01 is my new work horse for my detailing business paired with my BTR5 or V30. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back