FiiO FA9 - 6 Knowles BA IEM w/3 sound adjustment switche
May 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #31 of 110
FiiO FA9 early impressions.

-Excellent build quality and fit.
-Stock cable is good quality but only available in 3.5mm, so I got the LC-RE cable which comes with a modular plug system for my 4.4mm fix.
-The modular plug of FiiO's LC-RE doesn't match the quality of say, Dunu's Hulk. Feels less premium.
-The switches are horrible to learn, and the on/off documentation in the product page is confusing. It's better to stick to up or down.
-Default switches is down/up/down, or 010. 011 for more bass/less mids, 001 for a V-shaped sound, and 000 for a treble-centric sound.
-The first switch controls impedance, down for DAPs up for phones I guess. Down is cleaner and sounds less congested.
-Loads of tips to try, but I stuck with the included Spinfits (CP360?) and was happy with them.
-Driven by M15 on low gain, FA9's default sound is warmish and midforward. Vocals got too in my head to the point it got bothersome.
-Changed the switches to 011, and it got much better for me. Full blooming bass with quick decay and no bleed, and the overly-forward mids took a step back. So far I'm sticking to this one.
-Treble is extended and airy, just the right amount of sparkle. No sibilance.
-Good resolution and detail levels.
-Soundstage is average, width more than depth.
-I like the FH7 bass texture more, but FA9 does mids and treble tone well. More testing and comparisons to come.

Overall, solid effort from FiiO. I just wish the switches were better implemented.

20200520_075339.jpg

Thanks a lot!! I was ready yo pull the trigger on FH7 when Fiio announced the FA9!! Now I’m in hold . T800 is another less expensive contender.

May 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #32 of 110
Please compare with Audiosense T800. Thanks.
T800 is 8 BA's. Only one Harman curve preset.
Fiio FA9 is 6 BA's with 3 dip switches. More sound presets possible because of switches.
T800 is crystal clear sound, slightly elevated MIDs and High's not as powerful strong bass as FA9.
FA9 even with dip switches set to crisp highs can't be equivalent to T800 in clarity.
For me even soundstage is bit wider on T800.
T800 is very well and fun sounding EIM's, energetic,balanced, amazingly revealing so for this I will keep it in my collection.
Fiio FA9 variability with switches is amazing and I can make it as I like for source I use.
Bass is better on FA9 in stock and mega good with switches set to strong bass.
I am happily having both and will keep it.
If I have to choose between I will keep Fiio FA9 because of all package is more flexible.
But do not forget this is my personal feeling and your taste could be totally different.

May 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #34 of 110
Thank you! To me enough bass in Т800 and I'm happy with everything. It’s also a much cheaper price :metal::relaxed:
SURE i like T800 as it is very nice pricepoint for amazing sound...

May 22, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #35 of 110
@xkoo Could you please extend the comparison with the T800 a bit further and write about comfort and build quality?

I had the T800 for a while and I absolute enjoyed the sound, except for the slightly bothersome over-energetic sound character and the long term comfort (due to the wide bore nozzle that hurt my ears after a while).

I'd really appreciate if you make a photo comparison between the two, showing the overall size and the nozzle of both.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #38 of 110
BGGAR made a review on those and mentioned they are very weak in the bass department and his measurements show switches make barely 2db difference - that's borderline undetectable :-/
I would like to see some measurements from Fiio and would like to know their target with switch change

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 110
@xkoo Could you please extend the comparison with the T800 a bit further and write about comfort and build quality?

I had the T800 for a while and I absolute enjoyed the sound, except for the slightly bothersome over-energetic sound character and the long term comfort (due to the wide bore nozzle that hurt my ears after a while).

I'd really appreciate if you make a photo comparison between the two, showing the overall size and the nozzle of both.
Fiio FA9 is a better fit for me, they do not create this suction effect as T800, for me FA9 its better use in longer sessions, it has also less wide nozzle and different angle
sound wise T800 is Harman tuning and FA9 with switches is more variable tuning
materials feel and look same but I think MMCX is better on FA9

Attachments

• 20200604_165040.jpg
    20200604_165040.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200604_165123.jpg
    20200604_165123.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #40 of 110
Is the FA9 better than the FH7 in sound quality? I guess for the price it should be better ...

FA9 6BAs so it is different sound signature because it has no Dynamic driver as FH7
all depends on what you like
I prefer FA9, because I can tune it as I like for all my stuff differently with switches it is not cold metallic shell and fit me better

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #41 of 110
FA9 6BAs so it is different sound signature because it has no Dynamic driver as FH7
all depends on what you like
I prefer FA9, because I can tune it as I like for all my stuff differently with switches it is not cold metallic shell and fit me better

Do you have the FA7? I would like to know how the FA9 compares with the FA7. Also, do you notice much of a difference between the stock cable and a balanced cable?

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #42 of 110
Do you have the FA7? I would like to know how the FA9 compares with the FA7. Also, do you notice much of a difference between the stock cable and a balanced cable?
sorry I do not have FA7 only FH7 and is bit cleaner sound from Balanced cable

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #44 of 110
Do you think it is worth the extra money to upgrade to a balanced cable? I'm looking at the Fiio 2.5C cable for about $60-$70
if you do have a good balanced source yes

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #45 of 110
How does this compare to the Moondrop S8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back