Fiio FA7 paired with Fiio M11
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dmorri18

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm hoping I can get some advice on what I've done!! :) I'm by no means an audiophile, so we can get that out of the way.. I do love listening to my music, and I've been using ipods exclusively through the years along with over the ear headsets. I've replace my current ipod classic 80 gig paired with a Sony X MDR X05 headset. The headset is very bassy to me and I've toned it down by setting the equalizer to "enhance treble". What I've purchased to replace this is the Fiio M11 paired with the FA7 In ear monitors. Initial impressions is they sound terrible. I've plugged the FA7's into my ipod, the M11, my laptop and my desktop, and no matter if I listen to .flac or .mp3, youtube etc, they sound... flat? Kind of like mono with no stereo. When I plug my Sony into the M11, it's very bassy of course, but I do get a depth of sound that's missing from the FA7's. I've also plugged a very cheap over the ear headset into the M11 and they wound WAY better than the FA7's. My question is, what am I doing wrong? I know my ears are probably dead from listening to the X05's for years, but I had my wife listen to them as well, and she used the word "mono" as well to describe the sound. She listens to her music on her laptop. I'm getting ready to send the FA7's back, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong? An improper setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help! I appreciate any advice!

Dave

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Ok, something has to be wrong with the FA7's. I've just plugged a pair of Samsung earbuds that came with my cellphone into the M11, and they sound amazing. WAAAYY better than the FA7's. Is it possible I got a bad pair? I've also noticed that when playing with the equalizer in the M11, with the Samsung earbuds there is a discernible difference between the sound of each setting, with the FA7's, I have to squint to hear the difference...

Dave

This is hard as I don't have any comparison right now. I don't have a friend that has a set so no one who knows what they are supposed to sound like.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok, something has to be wrong with the FA7's. I've just plugged a pair of Samsung earbuds that came with my cellphone into the M11, and they sound amazing. WAAAYY better than the FA7's. Is it possible I got a bad pair? I've also noticed that when playing with the equalizer in the M11, with the Samsung earbuds there is a discernible difference between the sound of each setting, with the FA7's, I have to squint to hear the difference...

Dave

This is hard as I don't have any comparison right now. I don't have a friend that has a set so no one who knows what they are supposed to sound like.
I'd say "these sound crappy" is enough without having a set to compare... My opinion. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back