FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #782 of 1,544
I got two questions. One regarding ear tips, and the other about high Res audio.

1. Does anyone know the diameter of the small tips?
The small is still to big for me so looking to go 3rd party. Seems like spinfit and spiral dots are popular choices (comply to expensive in the long run).
Are the spinfit that fit the f9 cp100?
I only see one model for Spiral dots online. Do they also fit the f9? Seems that they have smaller tips so that would be great for me.

2. How much of an audible difference is there? I'm need to replace my nexus4. Was thinking just to get a mid range phone (Xperia xa1 plus) but wondering it should stretch for a flagship with high Res audio ( Xperia xz(2016), or XZs). The price difference is between $200-300. Is high Res audio worth that amount.
Getting a DAC/DAP isn't for me as I wanna carry as little as I can.
That being said, can anyone recommend an iem case that easily fits into my pocket?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #784 of 1,544
Since the amazon seller here seems to be sold be "FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd", does that mean that all new purchases are of the new version? Or are they the old version?

it is still the old version.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #785 of 1,544
I got two questions. One regarding ear tips, and the other about high Res audio.

The small is still to big for me so looking to go 3rd party. Seems like spinfit and spiral dots are popular choices (comply to expensive in the long run).
I only see one model for Spiral dots online. Do they also fit the f9? Seems that they have smaller tips so that would be great for me.

2. How much of an audible difference is there? I'm need to replace my nexus4. Was thinking just to get a mid range phone (Xperia xa1 plus) but wondering it should stretch for a flagship with high Res audio ( Xperia xz(2016), or XZs). The price difference is between $200-300. Is high Res audio worth that amount.
That being said, can anyone recommend an iem case that easily fits into my pocket?

Thanks in advance.

1. I use spinfit (cp100) and comply (T-200) M size for both. The M sized spinfits are slightly smaller than the M sized tips that come with the F9. You could try for the SS sized spinfits but I imagine you'll have a hard time getting a good seal with too small sized tips (unless your earholes are really really small!). Even with the M, sometimes I have to wiggle around a bit for a good seal/fit (its not as amazing as they claim). The comply tips do kill some of the treble. I think it has to do with a better seal as but at the same time, the inside tube doesn't reach the end of the tip like in the professional series. Hence, there's a bit of foam that the sound has to travel past before bouncing around in your ear canal. I certainly don't recommend getting the tips with the wax guard as the F9 already has grills in place on the stems.

Found this somewhere FYI:

Spinfit sizes
L: 13mm
M: 12mm
S: 11mm
XS: 10mm

JVC Spiral Dot sizes
L:14mm
ML:13mm
M:12mm
MS:11mm
S:10mm

2. I wouldn't buy too much into the whole hi-res audio marketing. Check reviews and such that target what the phone uses for their DAC and amp instead. The only thing I do recommend though is if you think you'll ever decide to go wireless with a bluetooth wireless cable, it might be a good idea to choose a phone that has AptX HD capabilities. I don't recommend putting IEMs in your pockets unless you use a hard case and most hard cases are very thick.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #786 of 1,544

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you in that all of the supplied ear tips are too big for me. I have Comply tips from previous earphones and while they are good quality I do not believe they are worth the money, £20.00 for 3 pairs is stupid. If you want a good seal with comfort then I would recommend memory foam, however, remember that these are essentially disposable tips, they will eventually need replacing.

I am using generic memory foam tips, 6 pairs for under £6.00. They are not as soft as my old Complies, but that could be due to them being a very slim size small (less foam). So far I have no nicks or tears in them and I am able to wipe them off with a damp cloth without any deterioration, whereas my comply tips do have small nicks in them, so much for the supposed extra quality.

As for the Hi-Res issue, don't get caught up with the marketing. Any player capable of playing files with higher bit depths above CD such as 96kHz or 192kHz at 24-bit is technically Hi-Res.

I will let the others jump in and tell you how great it is playing 700MB single track DSD's, for me this is all nonsense, especially on budget equipment. Honestly, using my X5III with good earphones I struggle to hear the difference between my 320kbps MP3's and Flac files.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #787 of 1,544
it is still the old version.
In that case, do you know when the new version will begin shipping via Amazon? From what I understand, the new version is already available via your Aliexpress store, but shipping from there is 1-2 Weeks to the USA and seems to be more expensive than amazon ($110 vs $100) while lacking Amazon's customer service perks.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #795 of 1,544
How are these for bands of the heavier nature using a fiio x5 iii? Or would I better off with something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back