FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #858 of 1,544
Nov 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #859 of 1,544
Newbie, pratical question here about connecting the 2.5mm balanced cable to a phone :
Would using an adapter result in quality loss?
Any recommended 2.5 to 3.5 adaptors?

If your phone does not have a balanced output then there will be no benefit apart from having a cable without controls.

If you hate controls, then there are many inexpensive 3rd party 3.5mm mmcx cable available, they only start getting expensive when you are buying 2.5mm balanced cables.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #860 of 1,544
Well, seeing as Fiio's published FR graphs for both the regular and Pro version seems to be identical, what was the point in the driver change?
You're right Theo, they're absolutely identical. Probably just the cost of the "Knowles" brand (plus an extra margin) being passed down to the customer...

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #861 of 1,544
Well, seeing as Fiio's published FR graphs for both the regular and Pro version seems to be identical, what was the point in the driver change?
Yes, both carries a identical FR graph but it doesn't mean that both have a same level of sound quality and nature maybe pro will be more sonically superior to regular ,

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #862 of 1,544
Yes, both carries a identical FR graph but it doesn't mean that both have a same level of sound quality and nature maybe pro will be more sonically superior to regular ,
Well, I guess you are best placed to find that out soon :ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #864 of 1,544
If your phone does not have a balanced output then there will be no benefit apart from having a cable without controls.

If you hate controls, then there are many inexpensive 3rd party 3.5mm mmcx cable available, they only start getting expensive when you are buying 2.5mm balanced cables.

Thanks for the explanation everyone. I had read that the 2.5mm cable was "better" but it's mostly due to the balanced source and cosmetics, if I understand everything correctly.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #865 of 1,544

This is more likely to be part of the changes, SQ wise the pros shall improves over the regular F9, an identical FR graph only means that Fiio decided to keep the same signature which doesn't have any impact on the performances.

I'm curious about a comparison with the Fiio EX1 II more than the F9, I have both EX1 releases and honestly I feel that the V1 still sounds better to my ears, not sure about the V2 as an upgrade and if they were supposed to be an upgrade?

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #866 of 1,544
This is more likely to be part of the changes, SQ wise the pros shall improves over the regular F9, an identical FR graph only means that Fiio decided to keep the same signature which doesn't have any impact on the performances.

Frequency response is actually the biggest overall impact on performance. It would be somewhat rare to have a massive performance increase without changing frequency response. Changes in THD etc will hardly be noticed unless the F9 was a poor performer to start with (and its not). I hope that one of the things they have done is brought down the 7 kHz peak just a little. That would be a very good improvement.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #867 of 1,544
Frequency response is actually the biggest overall impact on performance. It would be somewhat rare to have a massive performance increase without changing frequency response. Changes in THD etc will hardly be noticed unless the F9 was a poor performer to start with (and its not). I hope that one of the things they have done is brought down the 7 kHz peak just a little. That would be a very good improvement.

I meant that FR graph in a direct comparison with an older sibling having the same signature is not an indicator of performances. It's like comparing the FR graph of a V1 vs a V2, both will likely have the same signature with maybe as you mentioned a shorter/higher peak in some areas but the V2 will bring something different to the table.

IMHO, something different is not always better (cf. HD800 vs HD800s). All will depends on what kind of magic Fiio is using in the new recipe :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #868 of 1,544
I meant that FR graph in a direct comparison with an older sibling having the same signature is not an indicator of performances. It's like comparing the FR graph of a V1 vs a V2, both will likely have the same signature with maybe as you mentioned a shorter/higher peak in some areas but the V2 will bring something different to the table.
IMHO, something different is not always better (cf. HD800 vs HD800s). All will depends on what kind of magic Fiio is using in the new recipe :)

Yeah - nah. Would have to disagree on that. Take the Lyra 1 vs Lyra 2. Lots of people called a lot of differences on that (expectation bias at play me thinks). On measuring, the frequency response is exactly the same. the enclosure is using different materials, but everything else is basically the same. Better cable and lower price - which is good. Freq response matches perfectly. Sensitivity has changed slightly (so one is fractionally louder than the other). But guess what - if you can volume match properly, and pair one earpiece from one set with the opposite from the other - you get a perfect stereo image.

Frequency response is the single biggest thing that will affect your impression (assuming of course there are no issues with fit or comfort and volume is matched).

And I know the HD800 and HD800S reasonably well (now own the HD800S, spent extended time with an HD800). They are quite different frequency responses now. For me, something different was better - I much prefer the HD800S (but thats purely preference).

I agree with you though, I am very interested as to what FiiO has changed with the F9 / F9 Pro.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #869 of 1,544

I'm curious about a comparison with the Fiio EX1 II more than the F9, I have both EX1 releases and honestly I feel that the V1 still sounds better to my ears, not sure about the V2 as an upgrade and if they were supposed to be an upgrade?
I heard so many good things about EX1v2 and some peoples like them more than the upgraded single DD models from FiiO,
Anyway i am more interested in EH1 as their FR graph is more appealing to me,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back