FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,218 of 1,544
Another day later with the F9 pro's. Switched to the foam tips and think I like the sound even more than what I've tried up til then. Today was listening straight out of my Samsung tablet, and I think I like this better then out of my amp. Everything is much smoother. The treble is there, but on a much more even keel. It's like the power boost the amp was giving was pushing the treble more. Started by listening to some Radiohead, which was marvelous as usual. Switched to some EDM next and man, that sounds crazy good with the F9. Still trying to get used to the over ear wire thing, and not totally successful yet.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,224 of 1,544
So...this morning I just told myself "scr*w it" and pulled the trigger. Visibly shaking with anticipation now.
From a Philips SHE3580/90 to ATH-IM50 (buyer's remorse) to Havi B3s, hopefully the latter have had me acclimated to "brighter", airier sigs.
Man. Fingers crossed so tight I'm getting cramps.
I hope I like 'em.
I hope I like 'em.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,225 of 1,544
EX1 vs F9.jpg
I have used both generstions of EX1's. I might not be the best man to share detailed analysis, but you can try reading my earlier comment.

In short, the F9 Pro's are incredibly detailed, but to me it seems they provide a worse audio balance then EX1. Where they were balanced, but with still very great bass output. The F9 Pro's give that same good bass and even better clarity, and great clarity with highs too, but I found to be missing the great mids EX1 gave. But it makes it up at least for providing good isolation, to me it makes all the difference for outdoor use. But as for signature, I still prefer EX1 more balanced sound.

When I say EX1, I'm mostly referring to 2nd gen, but As far as I remember they sounded very similar to normal EX1. 2nd gen were slightly more bassy.
I haven't auditioned the EX1 v2 but I have the first generation. I also acquired the F9 SE (non-balanced version), thinking it might be an upgrade to EX1 v1. For my taste, it is not. The bass on the F9 is more prominent in the 50/60-200/250 Hz region, but on sub-bass, the EX1 surpasses the F9. There is a treble roll-off after 10 KHz on the F9, like the graphic also suggests, while the EX1 holds it's own much better, albeit having a somewhat more artificial sound in the mid/high treble. The EX1 is also more clear and non-sibilant in the upper midrange and lower treble region, while F9 is unbearable with the wide bore tips and barely manageable with the narrow ones. The trade-off with the narrow bore tips is a loss of clarity and detail though. For me it seems that the F9 is very tip-dependent, while EX1 is not that picky, so I might have to give myself a bit more time to play the tip rolling game with the F9. As it is, it's hard for me to call for a clear winner. I'd dare to say EX1 given the 60% of the F9 SE price.
Soundstage-wise I find the F9 to be wider and EX1 to be deeper, but the difference is not night and day.
Source is a Clevo last-gen laptop (i7 7700hq with gtx1070) that has a certified ESS-Sabre headphone amp. And while it doesn't sound 1000$+ good, it more than holds it's own against an ifi nano idsd, for example.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,229 of 1,544
Does anyone own the F9 Pro and also bought the Ibasso IT01? He wanted a comparison between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back