FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,171 of 1,544
Thankfully, my F9 is okay, but I have the original version of the F9 that will not fit most replacement cables, so it is good to see that Fiio is now selling the original cables as well as the upgrades.

I am expecting my regular F9's very soon. Just a question on this... The F9 (non pro version) does not accept mpst mmcx cables?

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #1,172 of 1,544
I am expecting my regular F9's very soon. Just a question on this... The F9 (non pro version) does not accept mpst mmcx cables?

Fiio changed the design of the F9 a few months after release as users reported that the angle to the MMCX port was too shallow to accept many after market cables. As you are waiting to receive your F9 then there is a good chance that you will receive the revised version.

I can't complain too much as they sound amazing and I was lucky enough to purchase them at a reduced price.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,174 of 1,544
Eugh, that treble spike is still there. I was hoping they had toned it down a bit. As it currently stands, I can't listen to my F9's without removing the spike through EQ. Oh well, i've cancelled my F9 Pro order - will read around a bit.
For that reason I'm thinking FH1, but still zero reviews so far.

F9 Pro's don't have issues with the treble spiking, most of the time. But it might be one of the reasons they're being called bright. And sometimes it gets too sharp with the highs on some songs that try to emphasize them. But on well produced tracks it gives that live feeling, when it gets to those highs, but of course on badly produced tracks, it will make them unbearable, and you'll hear the defects.

But I use Audio Technica's MSR7 daily, and they also have a bit of a peak at that frequency, reported by some graphs. But not as much. So maybe I'm a bit used to it.

But this all preference is very much based on what equipment you've been using before, and it's possible to get used to many things.
I probably will get used to F9Pro's, but I wouldn't be able to get used to normal F9's, if they're spiking even more

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,177 of 1,544
I don't know, but something seems to be wrong with me...
Owning both - F9 original and the Pro version - my hearing only let me use the Pro with devices where I can lower the 2/4/8 kHz area (different setting for each) to let the bass shine!
Then I love them, really great airy punchy and immersive sound!
Both used with my x5 iii whithout any EQing (to give you an idea if you know the device) I'm very happy with F9 Pro, but the originals are absolutely great, at least for my ears they win!
The originals have more punchy bass and better overall sound - and the one peak at 7-8 kHz exactly delivers what is missing from x5 iii warm and mild sounding - whereas the Pro sounds a little metallic and is missing bass (for me - perhaps due to enhanced other frequencies?).
Can be fixed by EQ but hey:
I now use f9 orig with x5 iii and the pros with my mobile - having a great pair of phones just where I need them

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,178 of 1,544
I don't know, but something seems to be wrong with me...
Owning both - F9 original and the Pro version - my hearing only let me use the Pro with devices where I can lower the 2/4/8 kHz area (different setting for each) to let the bass shine!
Then I love them, really great airy punchy and immersive sound!
Both used with my x5 iii whithout any EQing (to give you an idea if you know the device) I'm very happy with F9 Pro, but the originals are absolutely great, at least for my ears they win!
The originals have more punchy bass and better overall sound - and the one peak at 7-8 kHz exactly delivers what is missing from x5 iii warm and mild sounding - whereas the Pro sounds a little metallic and is missing bass (for me - perhaps due to enhanced other frequencies?).
Can be fixed by EQ but hey:
I now use f9 orig with x5 iii and the pros with my mobile - having a great pair of phones just where I need them
Share more details please.
Because this seems very weird, I am wishing for less bass when using F9 Pro's. Except maybe when outside with lots of street noise.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,179 of 1,544
Let me ask: sub bass or bass reaching into lower mids?
I was referring to the latter. Say like playing a lower piano string: energetic bass conbined with mids+highs.
Pro (without EQ) delivers a bit of an unnatural sounding. Limiting the 2/4 kHz area solves the "problem".
Wich song do you prefer for A/B comparison? I can offer "Maybe I'm a Leo" from Glenn Hughes or "Cinderella Smile" from Mr. Big

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,180 of 1,544
Let me ask: sub bass or bass reaching into lower mids?
I was referring to the latter. Say like playing a lower piano string: energetic bass conbined with mids+highs.
Pro (without EQ) delivers a bit of an unnatural sounding. Limiting the 2/4 kHz area solves the "problem".
Wich song do you prefer for A/B comparison? I can offer "Maybe I'm a Leo" from Glenn Hughes or "Cinderella Smile" from Mr. Big
Okay, I see what you mean. This was the thing that made me not appreciate the headphones at first, but the clarity in lower bass and highs sort of compensated that for me, or so I thought.
But first of all, let me be clear that I am not an experienced audiophile.

Piano sounds quite unnatural, as well as everything else, with the stock tuning. This is why I prefer headphones with more mids or more balanced signature.

I have no beef with V-Shape heads or Bass Heads, but in my opinion they're the reason so many headphones are the way they are. Many people just listen to their trash pop music, and all they care about is the dumb lyrics and their high voices and low bass. Mids bring out the garbage beat that is playing in the background, and thus making it all sound bad, so they prefer V-Shape. Sorry for being harsh, and also probably slightly incorrect...

The F9 Pro's aren't very much V-shaped, but sadly You've made me realize this more. But it's okay, to me, in outdoors sub-bass and bass tends to get lost, and I'm used to brighter sounding headphones, so they start sounding more balanced... if it's not all in my head.
What I found strange is how You saw this much negative difference towards F9 Pro's from F9's. Because the frequency graph by Hi-Fi Brooko (Hope You don't mind me showing it here, Brooko), shows that they're virtually the same in anything but a little bit in the upper mid-range and beyond. 8K is more under control, while, the 2/4 is a bit louder than the original F9, but not by much.
9936116_l.png

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,181 of 1,544
I really can't (edit) explain, but try it yourself: lower down esp. 2 and 4 (maybe also 8) kHz and hear the same song again.
My experience: you'll get back the missing mid/upper bass and lower mids FEELING.
No idea how to explain and as I often said: I don't measure - it's what I hear and feel.

Hope that helps
Chris

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,182 of 1,544
It simply may mean you are more sensitive to 2-4 kHz, and that is causing you to perceive less bass comparatively. You could also have them on a slightly different angle, slightly different insertion depth - there are a myriad of different reasons frequency change occurs.

All I can say is that FiiO has advised me the bass driver is exactly the same in both Pro and original, and that's what the measurements also show. Everyone has different hearing, listens at different volumes, and to different music. That's why trying to state a universal truth to how you hear it is so hard. What you hear is what you hear - but it probably isn't what someone else hears.

The great thing is that with a little EQ we can all hit our preferences :wink: And the F9 and F9 Pro both respond pretty well to EQ :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #1,184 of 1,544
I think the one thing we can agree on is that FiiO really released a nice triple hybrid. its not perfect for everyone, but it is a good canvas to finish with your own preferential colours :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back