FiiO F5- Aerospace Titanium Diaphragm In-ear Monitor
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #301 of 451
Does anyone have any other feedback with the remote working on Android phones? I know that Google has recently standardised the resistance values for volume up/down and play/pause which has caused some remotes not to work on my Pixel in particular.

I can't speak about the Pixel but I can confirm that the F5 inline remote does NOT work correctly with the Nexus 5X. Play/Pause and Vol- work correctly but Vol+ triggers Assistant rather than increasing the volume. I have confirmed that the slider switch is set to "A". Changing the switch to "i"" makes it so that Play/Pause works but neither Vol button functions.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #302 of 451
I can't speak about the Pixel but I can confirm that the F5 inline remote does NOT work correctly with the Nexus 5X. Play/Pause and Vol- work correctly but Vol+ triggers Assistant rather than increasing the volume. I have confirmed that the slider switch is set to "A". Changing the switch to "i"" makes it so that Play/Pause works but neither Vol button functions.

I believe that is similar to the S8+ that I have. I'm not sure, as the "right" MMCX is loose and drops signal. The balanced cable works better for me, and I use that with the X5iii.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #303 of 451
If someone doesn't give you an answer before the end of my day (it's 7am Pacific Time here), I should have an answer for you as I'll have access to a Pixel and I'll try it out with the F5. My hypothesis is that the remote will function correctly. We shall see (by someone else confirming before I do, or by confirming myself).

Just tested with OnePlus 3t and play/ pause and skip using the middle button works.

EDIT: I re-inserted the 3.5mm jack again and this time everything works perfectly.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #304 of 451
Just tested with OnePlus 3t and play/ pause and skip using the middle button works.

EDIT: I re-inserted the 3.5mm jack again and this time everything works perfectly.
I (and the OP) are specially referring to the Pixel, not any other device.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #305 of 451
I (and the OP) are specially referring to the Pixel, not any other device.

I am sorry i misunderstood. The OP said Android phone therefore i thought it was a generic question.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #306 of 451
I am sorry i misunderstood. The OP said Android phone therefore i thought it was a generic question.
The OP did say Android phones - however Android phones have been discussed in the thread - the OP was specifically referring to his/her's Pixel - hence me then stating if no one answers (with reference to the Pixel), then I will by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #307 of 451
Does anyone have any other feedback with the remote working on Android phones? I know that Google has recently standardised the resistance values for volume up/down and play/pause which has caused some remotes not to work on my Pixel in particular.
If someone doesn't give you an answer before the end of my day (it's 7am Pacific Time here), I should have an answer for you as I'll have access to a Pixel and I'll try it out with the F5. My hypothesis is that the remote will function correctly. We shall see (by someone else confirming before I do, or by confirming myself).
IMG_1469.JPG

Tried out the Pixel and Pixel XL at a Verizon store (buggy little device [a Pixel and Pixel Xl's "Settings" force closed each time I opened it] - apps suddenly close as well from time to time), but I digress.

Here's what the F5 can currently do with the Pixel:

"A" remote mode:
  • Volume + works
  • Volume - does not work
  • Middle button play/pauses and brings up Google Assistant with button held down
As I reinsert into the Pixel again, all buttons work, after multiple insertions and Volume + and - buttons work most of the time but not 100 percent of the time.

"i" remote mode:
  • Only middle button works, play/pauses and brings up Google Assistant with button held down

"i" remote mode changed to "A" remote mode if F5 is still plugged in:
  • Volume + makes the sound of bringing up Google Assistant and immediately pauses and plays (without holding down)
  • Middle button play/pauses and brings up Google Assistant with button held down
  • Volume - works

"A" remote mode changed to "i" remote mode if F5 is still plugged in:
  • All buttons do not function

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #308 of 451

I believe that is similar to the S8+ that I have. I'm not sure, as the "right" MMCX is loose and drops signal. The balanced cable works better for me, and I use that with the X5iii.

Tried out the Pixel and Pixel XL at a Verizon store (buggy little device [a Pixel and Pixel Xl's "Settings" force closed each time I opened it] - apps suddenly close as well from time to time), but I digress.

Here's what the F5 can currently do with the Pixel:

"A" remote mode:
  • Volume + works
  • Volume - does not work
As I reinsert into the Pixel again, all buttons work, after multiple insertions and Volume + and - buttons work most of the time but not 100 percent of the time.

"i" remote mode:
  • Only middle button works, play/pauses and brings up Google Assistant with button held down

"i" remote mode changed to "A" remote mode if F5 is still plugged in:
  • Volume + makes the sound of bringing up Google Assistant and immediately pauses and plays (without holding down)
  • Volume - works

"A" remote mode changed to "i" remote mode if F5 is still plugged in:
  • All buttons do not function

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the help! I do have a Pixel, so much thanks @moedawg140 for going down to do extensive tests on one! The problems you describe are pretty much exactly the same as I have with some of my Android remotes, but I do have a number of cables with remotes that work 100%, so there is definitely a technical solution somewhere.

It does seem that the F5 cable remote isn't 100% on the Pixel and a number of Android phones which is a shame...as it is a key use for me, I'd even buy the cable as a separate product if it worked... hope the team at @FiiO will be able to have a look at them and update them to work on newer Androids... I'd be happy to even send in one of my old remotes that work to help!

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #309 of 451
Thanks everyone for the help! I do have a Pixel, so much thanks @moedawg140 for going down to do extensive tests on one! The problems you describe are pretty much exactly the same as I have with some of my Android remotes, but I do have a number of cables with remotes that work 100%, so there is definitely a technical solution somewhere.

It does seem that the F5 cable remote isn't 100% on the Pixel and a number of Android phones which is a shame...as it is a key use for me, I'd even buy the cable as a separate product if it worked... hope the team at @FiiO will be able to have a look at them and update them to work on newer Androids... I'd be happy to even send in one of my old remotes that work to help!
Happy to help, @XDT!

In the meantime while a remote cable solution may be implemented, you (or any Android user) can simply connect the F5 or any correctly fitting MMCX IEM to a MMCX Bluetooth cable, with more functionality than a plug-in cable! Options are MMCX Bluetooth cables such as the Westone Bluetooth Cable, and resounding favorite, the UE/Jaybird Bluetooth Cable, from first-hand experience with both.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #310 of 451
Happy to help, @XDT!

In the meantime while a remote cable solution may be implemented, you (or any Android user) can simply connect the F5 or any correctly fitting MMCX IEM to a MMCX Bluetooth cable, with more functionality than a plug-in cable! Options are MMCX Bluetooth cables such as the Westone Bluetooth Cable, and resounding favorite, the UE/Jaybird Bluetooth Cable, from first-hand experience with both.

That is indeed a very good idea.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #311 of 451
I am very sorry about the compatible issues of our F5's inline control features, and so far we have not check out the reason but I guess it is cause by different hardware design among the Android phone or the firmware version ( my galaxy S7edeg works perfect with F5 but some people reported they had problem with F5), I can't decide how to do in the future but maybe we have to remove the inline control feature.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #312 of 451
I am very sorry about the compatible issues of our F5's inline control features, and so far we have not check out the reason but I guess it is cause by different hardware design among the Android phone or the firmware version ( my galaxy S7edeg works perfect with F5 but some people reported they had problem with F5), I can't decide how to do in the future but maybe we have to remove the inline control feature.

Well, I'm one of the dinosaurs, but I never touched the inline remote on any of the headphones and IEMs I used.

I don't even think that going between different DAPs and eventually DAC/AMPs would allow me to use inline remotes, so I jut don't touch those for the sake of staying universal when it comes to using things

EDIT: This is why I don't review inline remotes that much, except for mentioning that something has them, I simply don't use them :darthsmile:

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #313 of 451

Or maybe you guys could talk to people at Soundmagic. They have 'magically' made E10c (and others) remote fully compatible with both Android and iOS without requiring a switch. Just a thought.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #314 of 451
Or maybe you guys could talk to people at Soundmagic. They have 'magically' made E10c (and others) remote fully compatible with both Android and iOS without requiring a switch. Just a thought.

That sounds like a good advice!

If they would ask for a good price from FiiO, maybe it would help both sides!

Since I'm a no-remote guy, I have no right to commend about this, but if there is a chance that other people might get a better experience, FiiO should go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back