FiiO F5- Aerospace Titanium Diaphragm In-ear Monitor
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #286 of 451
I just received my F5s a couple of weeks ago. After months of enjoyable use of my X5III, I'm starting to have a bit of trouble with it today. I'm listening to it using my F5 IEMs with the balanced cable and I'm finding that the left channel keeps cutting out with the slightest movement of the player or jostling of the cable. If I replace the balanced cable with the SE cable, things seem fine which I think rules out a problem with the IEMs themselves. Sadly, I lack a second balanced cable to test with nor do I have a different device with a balanced output. So I can't determine if the problem is with the F5's cable or the X5III balanced port at this point.

I can say that the issue is at the connection. I can rotate the IEMs on on the MMCX connectors with no issues but as soon as I touch the 2.5mm TRRS plug or wiggle the cable near the connector end, the left channel drops out.

Has anyone else had any issues with the balanced port on the X5III or the one of the audio channels on the F5 cutting out on them?

I've gone throught probably a dozen or more MMCX cables over the last 5-6 years. It happens. You can probably get it replaced via the warranty at this time. I'd send a message to fiio - they have very good support. I doubt it has anything to do specifically with the fact that the cable is balanced but I could be wrong.

Same here, MMCXX cables and 2.5mm TRRS, according to one manufacturer I use, are difficult to get good connections on as the area avalable to solder to is so small. In contrast my XLR cables last for around 10 years. Perhaps that's why Sony have gone for the super sized balanced connerctors on their high end players?

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #287 of 451
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've reached out to Fiio's support to see if they can offer some help.

Unfortunately, it's a long weekend here in Canada so I can't even head out to my local audiophile store to try to do some troubleshooting with some of their demo equipment.

I certainly hope that it turns out to be the cable as you suspect rather than the X5III's connector. I'd much rather have to deal with replacing a cable.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #288 of 451
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've reached out to Fiio's support to see if they can offer some help.

Unfortunately, it's a long weekend here in Canada so I can't even head out to my local audiophile store to try to do some troubleshooting with some of their demo equipment.

I certainly hope that it turns out to be the cable as you suspect rather than the X5III's connector. I'd much rather have to deal with replacing a cable.

Another thing you might consider is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to try the cable on another source - also handy in genersl. I've purchased one for the F5's that I am patiently waiting to have shipped. I am in Canada as well and you can find some cheap ones on Ebay that will be at your door in a few business days (from a Canadian selller).

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #289 of 451
I just received my F5s a couple of weeks ago. After months of enjoyable use of my X5III, I'm starting to have a bit of trouble with it today. I'm listening to it using my F5 IEMs with the balanced cable and I'm finding that the left channel keeps cutting out with the slightest movement of the player or jostling of the cable. If I replace the balanced cable with the SE cable, things seem fine which I think rules out a problem with the IEMs themselves. Sadly, I lack a second balanced cable to test with nor do I have a different device with a balanced output. So I can't determine if the problem is with the F5's cable or the X5III balanced port at this point.

I can say that the issue is at the connection. I can rotate the IEMs on on the MMCX connectors with no issues but as soon as I touch the 2.5mm TRRS plug or wiggle the cable near the connector end, the left channel drops out.

Has anyone else had any issues with the balanced port on the X5III or the one of the audio channels on the F5 cutting out on them?

Haha there you are! yes please do send an email to fiio support and they will help you out. They helped me out too. Excellent customer service i must add. a shout out to @FiiO-Shadow for helping me out.

Edit: In the meantime enjoy the F5 SE. They are a nice pair.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #290 of 451
I think maybe we should release a classic version which removed the mmcx and 2.5 balance cable. We know that the mmcx and the 2.5mm balanced headphone jack is not the best option.

of course , a classic version will be more cheaper than the current version too!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 2, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #291 of 451
I think maybe we should release a classic version which removed the mmcx and 2.5 balance cable. We know that the mmcx and the 2.5mm balanced headphone jack is not the best option.

of course , a classic version will be more cheaper than the current version too!

Honestly i think thats a great idea. Today may who dont have a balanced output may not choose to pay extra for the balanced cable and mmcx connectors. a cheaper option with fixed wires and an also if i could please request you to ask you engineers to look into the depth of the mmcx connectors. I feel they might be a tad bit shallow. I just hope you dont do away with the mmcx option.

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #292 of 451

I think that you have been let down by who ever is making them for you. If you compare the quality of fit in your first post with what I have you can see that the MMCX do not push in as far so the grip is not as good. I think this is at the phones end and not the cable, pic 2 standard and balanced. The 3rd pic shows Fidue's balanced cable, the connection on the phones themselves is 0.75mm too short?
content_____-___01.jpg

DSC_0008.JPG
balanced on red, se on blue

DSC_0012.JPG
Fidue's balanced cable note gap on L (granted Fidue's cable is $59 alone)

There are lots of head phones that work with MMCX connectors and with 2.5mm TRRS but perhaps they are difficult to make at F5's price point? Though I still think a bit of extra depth on the phones would solve the issue.

Anyway for the price they sound realy good and in my opinion even better out of an X5iii on balanced cable:ksc75smile:

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #293 of 451

James - a classic version would be a good idea, but you could also do a premium version, and maybe even consider charging a little more - but ......
  1. If sticking with MMCX - the sockets just need to be recessed further into the body (you'll get more stability)
  2. Or - (again MMCX) look to implement a screw cap (IMO everyone should be doing this). Something like what Fidue did with the A91 Sirius (check review for photos)
  3. My personal choice would be to steer away from MMCX and go to standard 2 pin. If you go to something like a standard slightly recessed 2 pin socket, it will be both stable, and allow use of alternate cables.
You have a fantastic IEM with the F5.

Last option - go with a cheaper version (fixed cable), and then a dearer version, but fully metal body and replaceable cables (ie real upgrade). The sonics are on par with others in the $150-$200 bracket IMO.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #294 of 451

Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that. You have sent email to support@fiio.net, right? Seems didn't assign to me. We will arrange a replacement cable for you soon. Hope it works.
Please accept our sincere apology for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #295 of 451
Dear friend,
Sorry to hear about that. You have sent email to support@fiio.net, right? Seems didn't assign to me. We will arrange a replacement cable for you soon. Hope it works.
Please accept our sincere apology for bringing inconvenience to you.

Hello @FiiO

I have, indeed, emailed support. I received a reply yesterday from "Shadow" asking me to pop into a local headphone shop to try to confirm that the problem is with the cable and not the X5III. I'll be doing that today (yesterday was a holiday here in Canada) and will email my results to him (her?).

Thank you for the follow up and the great support that you provide here on Head-Fi.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #296 of 451
Just received my replacement cables so kindly sent by Fiio. The cables are much tighter and I am happily back in action. Thanks for the quick support Fiio.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #298 of 451
Hello @FiiO

I have, indeed, emailed support. I received a reply yesterday from "Shadow" asking me to pop into a local headphone shop to try to confirm that the problem is with the cable and not the X5III. I'll be doing that today (yesterday was a holiday here in Canada) and will email my results to him (her?).

Thank you for the follow up and the great support that you provide here on Head-Fi.

Dear friend,

Thank you for the kind reply and cooperation. It would be better to confirm the problem is with the cable and not the X5III if there is a local store in your country. Surely Shadow would handle this for you properly. Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you and hope everything works well soon.

Best regards

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #299 of 451
Does anyone have any other feedback with the remote working on Android phones? I know that Google has recently standardised the resistance values for volume up/down and play/pause which has caused some remotes not to work on my Pixel in particular.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #300 of 451
Does anyone have any other feedback with the remote working on Android phones? I know that Google has recently standardised the resistance values for volume up/down and play/pause which has caused some remotes not to work on my Pixel in particular.
If someone doesn't give you an answer before the end of my day (it's 7am Pacific Time here), I should have an answer for you as I'll have access to a Pixel and I'll try it out with the F5. My hypothesis is that the remote will function correctly. We shall see (by someone else confirming before I do, or by confirming myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back