FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #106 of 289
I got my FF5 today and at first, I liked them but didn't love them. I switched from my Nutube amp card (i
P.S. @FiiO, thank you for including the same foams that were included in the FF3 (and plenty of them) because those are some of the best foams that I have ever come across where fine-tuning an earbud is concerned. Between the three, there is more difference heard (more noticeable) than anything else. It IS night and day to my ears, and I have yet to hear that difference among others (except the HeigI foams which these are quite like).
To your ears, the Hiegi foams are like which one if the three foam types provided ?

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #107 of 289
To your ears, the Hiegi foams are like which one if the three foam types provided ?
I find them to be closest to the "bass" foams. :)

Edit: IIRC they were even pretty close to each other in the density tests done.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #108 of 289
With the wrong amplification they sounded really warm to me (upper bass was way overdone). That was with my Nutube amp card for the DX300 from 3.5mm SE. Also they sounded congested on busy tracks. Even then it was never fatiguing, even at higher volumes. Mids were not very upfront nor recessed, just on plane with the treble.

Having said that, when I switched to the SS Amp12 card (2W) for the DX300, and switched to 4.4mm balanced, with balanced foams, it became VERY nice... I wouldn't say too warm, but also not cold or thin at all. Not fatiguing here either. Mids are forward a bit (though I wouldn't say the WHOLE focus is there but is gives it more separation and imaging IMO).

Bottom line seems to be that they aren't hard to drive, but it appears they either scale pretty well, or they just don't synergize with my Nutube amp very well.

Edit: But YMMV, my older ears are not bothered by treble, but it is possible that if you are sensitive to treble they could be. I have not heard anyone say that they are too treble heavy though.
I’m pretty sensitive to treble and I don’t find the FF5 to be bright in any way. And I haven’t found them to be at all fatiguing (using the balanced foams). Pending the arrival of my Ripples, these may be my best all-rounder at the moment.

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #109 of 289
@FiiO

Will you be selling the cable separately? I could do with a cable that don't have the curved MMCX housing?

Thanks
Dear friend,

We do not have the plan of selling this cable separately currently.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #111 of 289
Well mine landed in Vancouver. I don’t think it will be a quick trip through Customs and then to Toronto being Christmas time and the weather moving Eastward. Looking forward to these for at-home use.
Not a fan of sponge covers. Hope they sound fine without them.
It is my opinion that they do indeed sound good without anything on them at all. (For once) this is NOT the problem, but instead another. These are so light compared to the cable that with nothing on them, they won't stay in the ears unless sitting still. For me the rubber O rings don't grip well enough to use, so the foams are still needed for that purpose alone (for me).

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #112 of 289

Early impressions of Fiio FF5​

DSCF1662.JPG
DSCF1668.JPG
FF5-graph.png

It's stunning.

Fiio has addressed all of my issues with FF3.
  • The stiff and ugly cable is gone, replaced by a new MMCX cable that looks good and feel right. It's still a bit too stiff, but it does not tangle easily and does not curl upon itself. I still think that the silver cable packed with TGXear Serratus is more suitable for earbuds (lighter and softer), but FF5's cable is a huge improvement.
  • The lack of resolution is gone. One of my pet peeves of FF3 is that it does not reveal micro details or separate overlapping instruments on the soundstage very well. Yes, it presents a big, thumpy soundstage that is satisfying, but sometimes I wish for just a bit extra finesses, like Serratus.
Let's look at some songs. These are impressions of FF5 by itself without A/B against others. All of these impressions are with balanced foam tips and Fiio K7.

This songs highlight the bass performance of FF5. The bass is no longer big, rumbly, with loud "BOOM" and "brrrrm". The boomy has been toned down a bit. On the plus side, the attack of bass notes are sharper. The bass line feels snappy, rhythmic, and makes me want to move. Noted that it's not a dry, reference, sub-bass focused bass like Serratus either. It still has the DNA of FF3, but just less boomy.

This song demonstrates FF5's formidable soundstage imaging and separation. I can hear, and pin point the direction of most instruments as they appear on the stage. The choir on the right of the stage appears with texture and details that I can almost hear individual voices rather than a blog of male vocals.

Beautiful midrange presentation. Both Aurora and her backing vocals sound clear, detailed, and transparent without any mud, any unnecessary warmth. At the same time, the vocals are not bright and thin. The signature Fiio's warmth is still there.

This performance, especially the first song, is the one that I can barely stand with Serratus, due to sibilance. I'm glad to report that there is no treble sharpness or deadly sibilance spike with FF5. Not to say that it smooths over treble peaks like FF3. It's right at the edge in terms of sharpness, but not over.

Early Verdict​

If you are after a slightly more reference tuning like I do, and you want your buds to look fancy (shallow, I know), FF5 might be the one. So far, I like it.

Dec 26, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #114 of 289
Will be interested to read some metalheads opinion if will be who who may get them...
They are great for metal (IMHO). There is no fatigue (to my ears). One problem may arise from them being very resolving is that if you listen to older metal that wasn't recorded very well, they won't spice it up, or add anything. If it was bad then, it WILL still be bad... LOL

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #115 of 289
One problem may arise from them being very resolving is that if you listen to older metal that wasn't recorded very well, they won't spice it up
Thanks!
I'm interested in melodic death and power metal, new and old. The main problem of headphones I have is recessed vocal, and earbuds I have are fine but not much detailed, so I'm searching for something that melodic death in general will sound great on :)

Dec 26, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #116 of 289
Speaking of which, I have run them through (my) test songs for being able to reproduce good metal without fatiguing my ears. Anything by Judas Priest (pretty much), and also pretty much anything from Alice In Chains, some Ozzy songs, and even some Led Zepplin. Don't forget Pantera, and some (old) Metallica and Megadeth, or Slayer, or Rage, etc... You get the idea.. There are parts or vocals in all of that stuff that would trigger my weakness to pina gain if they were overdone (even at lower volumes). Even (and especially) Steve Miller Joker, during the guitar solo near the end. I have yet to find anything with the FF5, so I am calling them good (for me)... All this while having very good resolution, and non blunted treble, or too warm in the upper bass.

Dec 26, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #117 of 289
Thanks!
I'm interested in melodic death and power metal, new and old. The main problem of headphones I have is recessed vocal, and earbuds I have are fine but not much detailed, so I'm searching for something that melodic death in general will sound great on :)
Oh, where vocals are concerned, I find them to be slightly forwards and not a U or V at all. But at the same time, I don't find them to be TOO much in your face. I would say they may sit slightly forward the drums (as far as imaging is concerned). Also, I find the ability to reproduce reverb/echos to be of some of the best I have heard in a single DD.

Dec 26, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #118 of 289
Oh, where vocals are concerned, I find them to be slightly forwards and not a U or V at all. But at the same time, I don't find them to be TOO much in your face. I would say they may sit slightly forward the drums (as far as imaging is concerned). Also, I find the ability to reproduce reverb/echos to be of some of the best I have heard in a single DD.
Thanks for info 👍 sounds like a need to put ff5 on the list

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #119 of 289
Yes, if you like leaning towards analytical, with a fun side, these are (probably) perfect for you. But, as always YMMV.

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #120 of 289
@FiiO

Are you planning to sell a cable (mmcx) with microphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back