FiiO e9 static
Feb 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zuk0v

New Head-Fier
About two months ago, I bought a brand new FiiO e7 and e9, along with a new Sennheiser HD650. At first, everything played fine, then I started hearing a small amount of static in my right headphone speaker whenever I adjusted the volume on my e9. Fast forward a month later, and it's much worse. I can hear a LOT of static every time I adjust the volume and it has started to creep into my music too (or perhaps I am just starting to notice it - either way it has definitely increased in intensity).

I believe this problem lies with the e9 because it happens most often when I adjust the volume on the unit. When I increase/decrease volume from Windows, no static happens. Any idea what the problem is?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 16
I think all E9s get some static when you adjust the volume.  I experience this when I mess with the volume on mine and I have read elsewhere that others do, too.  However, when the volume knob is not in motion I don't experience any static of any kind, just great sound. 

If you are getting static when the knob is not in motion, you might want to check your headphone out jack to make sure it isn't going bad or something.  I have heard the soldering is sometimes spotty and repeated plug/unplugs can loosen the connection.  Try your headphones on another source to rule out any problems with the headphones themselves, too.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 16
this issue is known to fiio and if you search their site they suggest two solutions ...
i don't think it's something very important though... ok you hear this noise while adjusting the volume then it stops and you can hear your music... not big deal IMO!!

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
this issue is known to fiio and if you search their site they suggest two solutions ...
i don't think it's something very important though... ok you hear this noise while adjusting the volume then it stops and you can hear your music... not big deal IMO!!

Yup, he's right if your uncomfortable with it then just turn the volume in a certain point then play your music and just leave the knob alone or you can just get use to the static noises.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 16
Unplug power, turn the volume up to max then turn it all the way down, repeat that for 3 minutes and it should fix the issue.

It is a common for analog potentiometer to have static after a while, especially in humid environment or haven't been used frequent enough as tiny bit of rust and dust get collected inside. Once you move / use it, the problem usually will go away by itself.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Unplug power, turn the volume up to max then turn it all the way down, repeat that for 3 minutes and it should fix the issue.
It is a common for analog potentiometer to have static after a while, especially in humid environment or haven't been used frequent enough as tiny bit of rust and dust get collected inside. Once you move / use it, the problem usually will go away by itself.

Fixed it, thank you :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

I guess I must be the lucky one who does not have these scratchy/ static noise with my Fiio E7/E9 combo as well with my E10 . They are perfect as they can be. Did you guys buy it pre-owned or something...?
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 16
When using the E7/E9 combo, Do you guys leave the E9 on 24/7 ?

I ask since I have not touched my desktop for abt 2 weeks, this morning when I turn the E9 on there is no sound thru my headphone. The E7 power light is on and it shows " dock". After a few minutes, then I can hear the sound. Do I need to leave the E9 or my desk top on 24/7 ?

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 16
probably not but sometimes my comp would randomly stop recognizing the fiio, probably happens once every other month for me, not sure why but i usually just restart and it works fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back