Fiio E9 power supply noise? Any alternative power supplies?
Feb 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Fiio E9 that was gift about a couple years ago, so it's out of warranty. Its AC adapter makes a constant noise that's annoying me since I rearranged my desk and moved it closer. I'm talking about an acoustic noise that emanates from the power supply, not electrical noise. It is present whenever the PS is plugged in, regardless of whether the amp is turned on.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do they all do this, or is mine defective so that perhaps I should or another from Fiio? If they all make the noise, does anyone know of an alternative power supply that is silent? (It's specified as 15V 1.5A.)

Edited to add: I meant to post this in the Amps forum. No wonder I didn't get any suggestions. Can it be moved?

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 4
I ordered this power supply off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX6DAK0

The specs are all the same except it can supply 2 amps instead of the original 1.5A supply. I've only tested it briefly, but so far it's working fine and it makes no noise even if I put my head right next to the brick.

I had stopped using the E9 because of the noise. It bothered me when I tried to sleep, and it was a hassle to crawl under the desk to plug and unplug it all the time. Noisy switching power supplies are the bane of my existence, almost as bad as bright LEDs (especially ones that blink when something is on standby!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back