FiiO E7- Worth getting? (Semi-urgent)
Jan 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gofre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

So yeah, I've found a website selling the FiiO E7 DAC/amp for a discounted price of £50, which just fits into my price range. I've been looking at getting one of FiiO's many offerings, in particular the E17, but anything more expensive than £50 lies outside of my budget until April at the very earliest. I was wondering if the E7 would provide a significant enough increase to the listening experience to warrant the purchase. I'll be using it with a Rockbox'd 5th Gen iPod "Classic", most likely via LOD, and my MacBook Pro, through a set of Audio Technica ATH-WS55 cans (Driving them definitely isn't an issue). The offer ends tonight so any opinions would be greatly appreciated, as would any information on other alternatives within the price range that you'd recommend considering.

Thanks [=

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't have the e7. only the e17. The e17 is superior in all aspects boasting a "real" amp unlike the one they just threw into the E7 as a side dish. your equipment doesn't seem like it warrants the E17. but why not get it? the E17 won't be mass availble until March anyway after 3rd batch probably

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 9
To the OP, if you will be using the E7 as an amp, get the E6 .I do not mind the E7/E9 combo as USB DAC/AMP. The E7 by istself, IMO not much improvement over the D3+E6.

As far as USB DAC/AMP, I will recommend the E7/E9 combo or the E10 if you can swing a little more money.

For amp, I recommend the E9 as stand alone amp not the E7. Cannot make any suggestion about the E11 since I do not have it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
To the OP, if you will be using the E7 as an amp, get the E6 .I do not mind the E7/E9 combo as USB DAC/AMP. The E7 by istself, IMO not much improvement over the D3+E6.

As far as USB DAC/AMP, I will recommend the E7/E9 combo or the E10 if you can swing a little more money.

For amp, I recommend the E9 as stand alone amp not the E7. Cannot make any suggestion about the E11 since I do not have it.

i have the E17. wouldn't the E17 be more economcal than the E10 if he can afford..since the E7 and E9 combo is $170?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 9
 I do not know how much SQ that the E17 improves over the E7 besides all the bells and whistles ( I like to leave my EQ alone)  .

I would buy the D3 if the OP has the Toslink/Coaxial out and the E6 as I recommended since I ain't here no day and night improvement of the E7 over the D3+E6 once you leave all the EQ stuff alone.

If he needs just an amp, I 'd like to recommend the E9.  If he needs an USB DAC which is another story but from the cost only stand point, you're right . The E17 is cheaper than buy both the E9/E7 combo.

The E9/E7 gives me a lot more flexibility with different configurations if I decide to use them as two different amps with better DACs, I have option to do so. Most of people have more than one laptops or PCs or tablets or MP3 players or it's just me , an audio junkie.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
 I do not know how much SQ that the E17 improves over the E7 besides all the bells and whistles ( I like to leave my EQ alone)  .

I would buy the D3 if the OP has the Toslink/Coaxial out and the E6 as I recommended since I ain't here no day and night improvement of the E7 over the D3+E6 once you leave all the EQ stuff alone.

If he needs just an amp, I 'd like to recommend the E9.  If he needs an USB DAC which is another story but from the cost only stand point, you're right . The E17 is cheaper than buy both the E9/E7 combo.

The E9/E7 gives me a lot more flexibility with different configurations if I decide to use them as two different amps with better DACs, I have option to do so. Most of people have more than one laptops or PCs or tablets or MP3 players or it's just me , an audio junkie.

+1 u got it written better than me. I didnt have the d3 or e7 or e9 so i couldnt really say those would be good for him.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 9
To the OP, I wish you can get a hold of the Cmoy starter amp ( $34.00) if you want to go out of FiiO product circle. I bought it from Juice something in E-bay. The Black Penguin tin can Cmoy amp does not only look cool but it fits right in with all my gear.

This starter amp is a beast in term of power and SQ. The Black Penguin from "Juice"  signature reminds me of the Adcom amps in the 70/80s. Pure raw power and there is no romancing flavor added. What comes in is coming out the same way. I am on my second order for another Black Penguin Cmoy amp and the FiiO D3 DAC for my old DVD player.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice against guys. Unfortunately the majority of other suggestions were out of my budget, I really couldn't shift from the £50 price point. I've settled for the E7 for now until my budget expands further, which will be around may time, at which point I'll probably pair it with E9 or look into a more substantial standalone product [=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back