FiiO E7 - Won't turn on
Nov 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

spdracer22

New Head-Fier
I just received a FiiO E7 in the mail today, and I can't get the amp section to turn on. It has been plugged in to USB for about 4 hours now, and I have tried resetting it many times. The screen will not come on, and no audio is heard. The dac section seems to be working as Win7 does recognize it and has loaded drivers.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. If I can't get it to work, I think I'll return it and get something different...

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Is your USB a USB 2.0 or older version of USB slot?

Also, did you hold down the power on/off button when trying to turn it on?

Also, just to make sure, neither the red "FiiO" light at the bottom of the DAC, nor the oLED screen, light up at all?

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 14
The computer is from late 2010, so it is the latest 2.0.

Yes, I have tried holding each button, holding and resetting, resetting then holding, etc.

The red FiiO light was on, now it is off. I am assuming it turns off once the unit has charged. The oLED screen, however, will not light up at all.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah returning it and getting a new one is your best bet. I've run into too many issues and just gave up on the model altogether.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I'm with you. I think I'm going to go with something else altogether...

I had an iBasso D3 and used it every day for about 3 years before it went kaput. I've been yearning for a new amp, so I thought I would try the E7 based on some of the reviews I've read, especially for the price. Now, though, I'm thinking I would be doing myself a favor by heading back upstream a bit to at least a T5 or UHA-4.

Edit- I need a dac, so the T5 is out...

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 14
How about a d4 mamba?

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 14

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Yeah returning it and getting a new one is your best bet. I've run into too many issues and just gave up on the model altogether.

Funny. I had an E7 that came from the first batch (plastic packaging) and they've never given me any problems. I just sold the E7 last night but it was still in perfect working condition. OTOH, there's a similarly priced amp/dac offering from Ibasso called the D-Zero going for $110ish. Better amp section than the E7, very good DAC section as well (according to reviews). 

@mostro not all things made in China are junk. Most headphones are made in China, even planars like Hifiman's offerings. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 14
I tried everything I could think of, but I finally decided to return it to Amazon.

So, now I'm looking for something else... I'm trying to drive DT770's (80-ohm), so the E7 may have been a little under-powered anyway, based on reviews I have come across trying to find a fix for mine. The D-Zero seems like a good option, since it's very portable, but I'm wondering if I need to go with something 'bigger'...

The D4 looks like it might be a good option (my previous amp was a D3), but I'm not too sure about the 9v battery...I think I would rather have a lipo-powered amp that charges through usb.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

@mostro not all things made in China are junk. Most headphones are made in China, even planars like Hifiman's offerings. 

All of my the 'phones in my rotation are made in USA, Germany, Austria or Japan.  Based strictly on rampant IP infringement, my motto is "nuke them until they glow, then shoot them in the dark". 

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I tried everything I could think of, but I finally decided to return it to Amazon.

Might want to try the O2 amplifier or a Little Dot tube amp (loving my LD2+).

Ample power from both amps, should be able to drive your headphones without a problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back