Fiio E7 w/ Case Doesn't Fit in E9! Design Flaw?
May 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

singha

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my E7/E9 combo because of the incredible versatility of having a DAC/AMP and an even better one when I got home. My headphone jack on my mac broke (cost $250 to fix) so I planned on carrying the E7 with me all the time. I finally received my E7/E9 combo after waiting 43 days to get my package. I put the perfectly form fitting silicone case that came with it and found that the E7 is now to fat to fit into the E9 dock. When the E7 is docked without a case there is very little gap on the back do to the fact that the E7 docks at a 20 degree angle according to my protractor. So when you put the case on it is now too large on the back to fit.

You can see from the image that it clearly wont fit because the rubber pushed the E7 in front of the actual docking plug. Even when you take the little rubber thing off in the back of the E9 docking site, it still does not fit. I am completely confused on how such a simple flaw can go unnoticed or if I am just stupid.

I searched on this forum and found that no one has encountered such a problem. Then I started googling pictures of docked E7s and found that not a single picture showed the docked E7 with a case. Is it just me or does anyone find this ridiculous? So I chatted mp4nation's customer service, who are actually very responsive minus the really long shipping time, and he told me that he has never heard of this problem but also admitted that he has never seen an E7 in a case that was docked. He was pretty shocked and provided the same rationale about it not fitting because of the angle of docking . Furthermore, I find it amazing that no one has broken their encased E7 trying to jam it into the E9 because it is incredibly tempting due to the fact that it is so freaking close to fitting. I am just curious how come I could not find any reports on such a trivial but troublesome flaw. I do realize I can just take the silicone case on and off as needed, but the whole reason I got the E7/E9 combo in the first place was because of its convenience and versatility. Let me know if I am just being stupid if you got know problem with your Fiio E7/E9 products.

Note to Fiio:
Please make me happy and provide some sort of dock adaptor that will make the E7 dock completely vertical so you can save everyone the hassle of taking on and off the exquisitely looking case you provide. It really is such a simple fix and I am sure will you come up with a solution. Also I know you are probably very mad at me right now, but I have had great success with your products and do have an E11 arriving in a couple of days so I am a loyal customer not just a hater.

May 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 7
This is a known problem of the E7 + E9. Just look at Deckhand Davy's review of the E7 and E9. It is a pretty darn stupid design flaw though
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I am not too bothered. The E7 looks a lot better without the case and since I got the E9 it hardly gets removed. Most Ipod docks have the exact same problem if you want to call it that.

May 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Just as a thought on this, Fiio does offer an L7 LOD that will plug into the E7 and will allow the DAC to be used with an external amp. This would mean that the E7 could be used with the E9 without using the built in dock and thus allowing you to keep the case on.  Just a thought anyways.

-Chris

May 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 7

Yep, the L7 did the trick. It even fits in the velour pouch. Wish there was a way to cover the empty dock site now on the e9, cause looking at it just makes me shake my head.
Quote:
Just as a thought on this, Fiio does offer an L7 LOD that will plug into the E7 and will allow the DAC to be used with an external amp.

I do realize that many ipod docks have this problem and this was the same rationale that Fiio gave to me. However, apple is not the one making the Speck case or the Bose dock. If all the parts are designed by the same manafacturer, they simply should be able to work together.

Quote:
I am not too bothered. The E7 looks a lot better without the case and since I got the E9 it hardly gets removed. Most Ipod docks have the exact same problem if you want to call it that.

What really bothered me is Fiio responded to me by saying it's not a problem, because this is the same problem with other ipod docks. They refused to admit that it was a slight screw up since obviously some ipod docks do work with a silicone case. Although the L7 may be there excuse to make up for this problem, I still had to go get one myself. I believe this is cause Fiio has the best bang for the buck amp/DAC combo under $200 and they know it. However, once you start getting content and refuse to take advice, you will not improve your product. Who knows, maybe some company like Nuforce may blindside them like the recently swept Lakers for example. I got my E11 yesterday, and it really would be nice if it could be used when it was charging or at least had a battery indicator so I knew when it was done charging. Again, other portable amps may have this problem too and they said that. But at some point, you should strive to set yourself apart and learn from yours and other people's mistakes.And yes I know, this is easier said than done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back