FiiO E7 is half dead
Mar 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

falt

New Head-Fier
Today when I started listening to music with my iPod and Fiio E7, I couldn't hear anything
Screen is fine and when plugged to computer, u can charge it but u can't hear anything from it. 
And headphones work fine.. What should I do? I bought it from Amazon EU s.a.r.l in december. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 33
Tried the USB DAC as well, if you haven't done so. Also, the reset hole is between the two headphone socket, bit the setting in the menu, just in case as someone else has confused them before.

If you still can't get it to work, you might need to contact the seller for warranty claim.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 33
Well similar problem here. When plugged in as USB audio DAC it works just the left channel, but if I use the AUX input it works ok.
It used to work ok, I tried resetting, restarting the computer, changing audio preferences, changing audio MIDI setup, still no changes... I'm kinda disappointed that suddenly I have a left channel only amplifier :/
I just sent an email to Fiio support, I hope they will help me...

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 33
If the AUX works, then the amp section is fine, for the least. Try it on another PC to confirm it is the problem on the DAC, if It works on another PC, the problem will be your PC. If it still has only one channel, you might have to send it back for repair.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Well similar problem here. When plugged in as USB audio DAC it works just the left channel, but if I use the AUX input it works ok.
It used to work ok, I tried resetting, restarting the computer, changing audio preferences, changing audio MIDI setup, still no changes... I'm kinda disappointed that suddenly I have a left channel only amplifier :/
I just sent an email to Fiio support, I hope they will help me...

Ditto.

Earlier today it was working on my computer as a DAC docked with the E9. When I got home sans-E9, I plugged the USB in and was greeted with left-channel only songs.

I swapped headphones first (both work), nope.
swapped usb cables, nope
tried the usb on a different computer and different os (linux and mac). Same result.
Pushed the reset button inbetween the outputs, tried it all again and still left only.

Like teatang, if I use the aux it works.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 33
And just for fun, when i dock the E7 on the E9 sound comes out of both the left and the right when using the DAC.

The dock on E7 and its USB port are internally wired together. Are you saying one channel went off when you are back home but both channels are working when you are at work? Do you mean two different PC? If so, I'll say the PC at home seems to be the source of the problem.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 33
It's actually the same PC.

At home I use the mini-usb port, but at work I use the dock. That's the only difference.

The mini-usb port has a missing channel, but the dock port doesn't.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 33
It's actually the same PC.

At home I use the mini-usb port, but at work I use the dock. That's the only difference.

The mini-usb port has a missing channel, but the dock port doesn't.

That certainly is weird - try this: plug a 3.5mm jack (maybe a interconnecting cable) to the AUX-in a few times, then connect the USB. In fact, also try leaving the 3.5mm socket being plugged in when connect the USB.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
That certainly is weird - try this: plug a 3.5mm jack (maybe a interconnecting cable) to the AUX-in a few times, then connect the USB. In fact, also try leaving the 3.5mm socket being plugged in when connect the USB.

Did this.
AUX and USB into the computer: no sound
AUX in the Fiio and usb computer: left only
AUX a few times, both leaving it in and out and usb in the computer: left only

also, i tried plugging in the usb and unplugging it a few times both at the Fiio and the computer

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 33
This is the weirdest fix I've ever done, but I tried ******* everything and finally got it. Messed around with the computer settings, reset the amp multiple times by both methods, nothing.

After about an hour or two I desperately plugged my headphones into the input on the bottom (rather than the outputs on top), then moved it back to the output. Voila, both sides work again.

I have no idea what the hell just happened, but hopefully this will help someone else, and I'm elated to have full sound on my computer again.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

After about an hour or two I desperately plugged my headphones into the input on the bottom (rather than the outputs on top), then moved it back to the output. Voila, both sides work again.

Spraying a tiny amount of electrical switch contact cleaner into the input jack may help, in case it is the kind with a switch inside.  Make sure it is only residue-free cleaner, not cleaner + lubricant that is used for volume controls.  CRC "QD contact cleaner" is good stuff.
smile.gif
  Some big box home stores may have it in the electrical aisle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back