FIIO E5 VS Practial Devices XM5
Dec 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

swanlee

500+ Head-Fier
Yeah I know this may be a mismatch but was wondering if anyone here had both portable amps and could compare?

I have the FIIO E5 and it sounds pretty good, much much better than the E3 so don't assume the E5 is crap based on how the E3 sounds.

Now I don't doubt the XM5 or any other higher end portable amp sounds better than the E5 but in the next few months I may be looking to step up from the E5 and further increase the sound quality of my portable setup and the XM5 has ALL the features I want with Bass and Treble boost, cross fade controls high S/N ration of 103 DB's etc.

I know the E5 just came out but anyone here in the lucky position to have both and be able to compare them?

My Equipment is a Zune30 with an upgraded 100 GB hard drive, Atrio M5 version 2 and the FIIO E5 I just got. I use the acoustic EQ setting on my zune and I leave the bass boost on with the Fiio E5. Yes I'm a bit of a bass head but I do not listen to rap, mainly classic rock and new wave.

There is not much talk of the XM5 but this seems the perfect portable amp for as far as features go. I just need some background on the sound quality of this amp.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 13
I have the E5 and a XM4 on order and will let you know. (about a month maybe as the E5 is coming from Extremedeals 'pre-order')

Sorry it is not the XM5 but I do not require DAC but I believe that is the only difference between the two.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry it is not the XM5 but I do not require DAC but I believe that is the only difference between the two.

It isn't, the XM5 has a completely different amplification and buffering setup. I think they have a pretty good description of it on their site but it's considerably different.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the E5 and a XM4 on order and will let you know. (about a month maybe as the E5 is coming from Extremedeals 'pre-order')

The XM5 has a treble boost where the XM4 does not. I'm interested in hearing what the SQ is with both the bass and treble boost enabled.

To bad no one has come up with a good portable amp that has a real EQ in it.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Then sorry I could not help
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah E5 is better than E3, but nearly all other ampli is better than E5, especially xm5, even xm3 is better than E5

depends on your taste, i have not tested the e5 yet, but any amp from no amp = HUGE gain, but from one amp to another is significantly smaller and sometimes you need to wonder if it's worth your time and money

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XM5 has a treble boost where the XM4 does not. I'm interested in hearing what the SQ is with both the bass and treble boost enabled.

To bad no one has come up with a good portable amp that has a real EQ in it.

The treble boost on the XM5 is very minimal, I have a hard time hearing a difference when it's on. I believe its only a 2 dB boost at 100Hz. The bass boost on the other hand is really helpful.

The biggest selling point for me was the adjustable cross fade and the 10 dB gain.

It's just packed full of features and the sound quality is fantastic on the stock configuration. Of course you can always upgrade the opamp and buffers. Which is another feature that sold me on it.

The construction is really solid as well. Granted, the only other amp I've used are my DIY c-moys. I just don't see myself wanting or needing another amp until I'm spending $800 on headphones.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The treble boost on the XM5 is very minimal, I have a hard time hearing a difference when it's on. I believe its only a 2 dB boost at 100Hz. The bass boost on the other hand is really helpful.

The biggest selling point for me was the adjustable cross fade and the 10 dB gain.

It's just packed full of features and the sound quality is fantastic on the stock configuration. Of course you can always upgrade the opamp and buffers. Which is another feature that sold me on it.

The construction is really solid as well. Granted, the only other amp I've used are my DIY c-moys. I just don't see myself wanting or needing another amp until I'm spending $800 on headphones.

Treble boost is +3dB. @ 10kHz, bass boost +6 dB. @ 100Hz.

To my ears the crossfeed has a slight bass boost effect. Does anyone else notice this? I use the minimal setting for crossfeed, I don't know if the variation makes any difference.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Treble boost is +3dB. @ 10kHz, bass boost +6 dB. @ 100Hz.

To my ears the crossfeed has a slight bass boost effect. Does anyone else notice this? I use the minimal setting for crossfeed, I don't know if the variation makes any difference.

Woops, got them confused.

Anyways, yeah the cross feed does have a bass boost effect. I'm not sure if it really is an actual increase in the amount of bass, or the meshing of the two channels appears to give the sound a bass boost. Either way I like it. I can actually listen to the Beatles through headphones now.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 13
Well I got my XM5 and after changing out the opamps it is freaking sweet. But realistically for the price the FIIO E5 sounded pretty decent. not in the same league as the XM5 but it wasn't that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back