Fiio E5: Sound quality boost?
May 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aaquib

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if the Fiio E5 would present a difference in sound using the new Apple IEM's and the Sennheiser HD 380 on an iPhone and MacBook? Or is it just purely to increase the volume?

Just wondering before I hit "buy now"

May 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 5
It absolutely colors the sound, whether you find it to your liking or not is up to you.

I find that it made my Grado SR-125, KSC-75, and Sennheiser HD280 sound much fuller and sound warmer, which I really liked. I did however had to play with the EQ on my Sansa Clip to Jazz Setting (which is sort of like a U) to make them sound great.

This is definitely not the amp to get if you're craving just a volume boost/transparency
EDIT: I did like the sound of the E3 more than the E5, but the E5 just had too much good stuff - rechargeable battery, usb charger, clip design, etc.

May 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the link and review.

I'm not looking for a volume boost at all, as I usually listen at just under half the max volume. I was hoping for a SQ boost.

May 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 5
If you want SQ improvement, you probably need more than just an small amp. You should look at amp/dac combo, especially since you laptop is one of your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back