FiiO E3 vs. Boostaroo R234
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I need something compact and cheap.

Has anyone tried both the FiiO E3 and Boostaroo R234? Both seem to be able to drive high impedance headphones well.

I am concerned about the FiiO E3 because there are reports stating that it will add hiss.

Is the Boostaroo quiet? Is it good?

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Boostaroo is a gimmick, not a real amp. I've heard them and the only thing they do is make the 'phones louder. FiiO E3 is a cheap amp, but a true amp none the less. it will improve sound quality.

Also, if you are really willing to spend as much as the r234 costs, hop on ebay, search PA2V2 and start watching them. I've seen them go for as little as $40.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boostaroo is a gimmick, not a real amp. I've heard them and the only thing they do is make the 'phones louder. FiiO E3 is a cheap amp, but a true amp none the less. it will improve sound quality.

Also, if you are really willing to spend as much as the r234 costs, hop on ebay, search PA2V2 and start watching them. I've seen them go for as little as $40.

Umm, Are they supposed to do something besides make the phones louder?
Anyway, the Boosteroo isnt a gimmick. Its actually a decent device for the price, assuming you use it for its intended use, which is to allow up to three people to listen to one device at the same time.
It never claimed to be high end, or a headphone amp really.
I have one and it serves its purpose.
Most amps arent really that different from eachother in some price classes.
Only a few truly stand out.
None of the ones in my profile truly blow any of the other ones away.
Sometimes it depends on system matching.
Sure i have my favorites, but in another setup i may prefer another.
The Fiio is prolly ok for a placebo. I cant see it really driving any hard to drive phones, but some people on here like them for the price and says they do offer some improvement, but i never heard it so maybe its a giant killer for the price.
Sometimes you can find some good little starter amps for around $50 in our used forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back