FiiO E3 now, or E5 later?
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sugrhigh

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a low cost headphone amp and have heard pretty good things about the FiiO's. I can find the E3 and the E5 but the E5 is much more expensive (relatively at least, only $15 more before shipping) and I was wondering what the major differences were and if I should get the more readily available E3 now or is the E5 worth the money and wait?

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 20
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the E5 is $21.50 shipped from dealextreme though it's a pre-order apparently... so where is it actually available?

DealExtreme: $21.50 FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (Black) *Pre-order*

it's a difference of $13.36 (oh come one... one more penny please) before and after shipping

they are available on ebay
i have contacted the sellers and they are actually in stock and ready to ship

I am not opposed to paying more, but if the difference is subtle and not worth the extra money I would rather not "waste" the money

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 20
actually the differences are

built in rechargable battery
volume control
power switch
switch to turn off the bass boost

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually the differences are

built in rechargable battery
volume control
power switch
switch to turn off the bass boost

and a much smaller size which is a great bonus!
I think I just may wait

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a much smaller size which is a great bonus!
I think I just may wait

actually it's not much smaller... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...roduct-382627/ this thread shows the E3 and E5 together

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a low cost headphone amp and have heard pretty good things about the FiiO's. I can find the E3 and the E5 but the E5 is much more expensive (relatively at least, only $15 more before shipping) and I was wondering what the major differences were and if I should get the more readily available E3 now or is the E5 worth the money and wait?

What type of headphones are you planning to use with it?

The E3 has some hiss with very low impedance headphones. The reviews so far say the E5 has less hiss.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 20
Also, you can take a look at the same pictorial review between the two of them and check that the frequency response is much better in the E5, being more controled and better responses even when used with Bass mode on.,

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you can take a look at the same pictorial review between the two of them and check that the frequency response is much better in the E5, being more controled and better responses even when used with Bass mode on.,

It looks like the E5 has bass rolloff under 50 hz. That does not look like an improvement compared to the 2db bass boost of the E3. The E3 only just starts to rolloff a bit under 30hz.

I have an E3, no E5 (yet). The only reason I see to "upgrade" to E5 would be for less hiss on very low impedance and high sensitivity earphones. The things I thought would be a issues with the E3 have turned out not to be a problem for me. The jack plug in instead of a switch works fine. The bass boost is quite pleasant sounding. AAA batteries are easy enough to deal with, I already have a bunch of Nimh and a charger. Even the lack of a volume control works out OK given the low gain of the amp.

I vote for getting an E3 for now. (unless it's for a iem)

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the E5 has bass rolloff under 50 hz. That does not look like an improvement compared to the 2db bass boost of the E3. The E3 only just starts to rolloff a bit under 30hz.

I have an E3, no E5 (yet). The only reason I see to "upgrade" to E5 would be for less hiss on very low impedance and high sensitivity earphones. The things I thought would be a issues with the E3 have turned out not to be a problem for me. The jack plug in instead of a switch works fine. The bass boost is quite pleasant sounding. AAA batteries are easy enough to deal with, I already have a bunch of Nimh and a charger. Even the lack of a volume control works out OK given the low gain of the amp.

I vote for getting an E3 for now. (unless it's for a iem)

Huh with the bass boost option on the E5 has better bass response than the E3.

The E3 by default has a bass boost the E5 gives you the option to turn off the bass boost for a more flat response.

I think you are a little confused about that cause with the bass boost on the E5 does not have a roll off.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of headphones are you planning to use with it?

The E3 has some hiss with very low impedance headphones. The reviews so far say the E5 has less hiss.

I will be using a pair of UE super.fi 4's
they have a custom ear mold sheath around them but that will not affect the signal....

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 20
I say get the E5. The E3 is good, but it's good to be able to turn bass boost off. Also the case of E3 is plastic, so it easily picks up GSM interference if you use it on buses, trains etc. where people use their mobile phones all the time.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the E5. The E3 is good, but it's good to be able to turn bass boost off. Also the case of E3 is plastic, so it easily picks up GSM interference if you use it on buses, trains etc. where people use their mobile phones all the time.

which will also be the case with me pretty often because sometimes i use my iPhone 3G rather than my iPod(which is to be diyModed) when i'm in a hurry but I have some shielding material one of my teachers gave me so either way

but it does seem the E5 is the better scenario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back