FiiO E18: does your smartphone work with it for USB Audio? Tell us about it here and we will award you 10 internets!
Feb 4, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #121 of 136
I recently purchased the FiiO E18 USB DAC/Amp and this is my first experience using a portable DAC/Amp. I have to be honest and say that I am suprised by the performance of this device. I first used the FiiO E18 on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" (SM-T713) running Android 6.01 using Poweramp Player (alpha build 703). The sound was amazing and even better when I switched the Poweramp output from the OpenSL ES to the experimental Hi-Res Output 24bit/96kHz. The sound came alive with such clarity and range that I had not heard except from my $6K Stereo System I had in the 1980's. (Yes, I am that old and still love great sounding music.) All styles of my music was clear, precise and full. Then I tried it on my old HTC One M7 running Android 4.4.3 that was collecting dust just to see if it would work. After updating the Poweramp Player I had no difficulty in getting it to run. The sound was almost as great as on the Samsumg Galaxy Tab S2 tablet but the Poweramp update did not have the Hi-Res output selection. Only the OpenSL ES output possible because of the older Android version I was using on the HTC One (M7). I have been so happily surprised by not only the sound but also the company that I am planning on purchasing new FiiO X5 (Gen.3) Hi-Res Player when availible. From everything I have read on FiiO and their products, including the new X5 Lossless Hi-Res Player, I believe I will be doing business with them for many years to come.
ADDENDUM:
I waNtED to add that I purchased an additional 12" USB OTG cable to connect the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet to the FiiO E18 USB DAC/Amp for simplification as the 2 USB OTG cables the came with the device works great for a smartphone but not for a tablet!!

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #122 of 136
I recently purchased the FiiO E18 USB DAC/Amp and this is my first experience using a portable DAC/Amp. I have to be honest and say that I am suprised by the performance of this device. I first used the FiiO E18 on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" (SM-T713) running Android 6.01 using Poweramp Player (alpha build 703). The sound was amazing and even better when I switched the Poweramp output from the OpenSL ES to the experimental Hi-Res Output 24bit/96kHz. The sound came alive with such clarity and range that I had not heard except from my $6K Stereo System I had in the 1980's. (Yes, I am that old and still love great sounding music.) All styles of my music was clear, precise and full. Then I tried it on my old HTC One M7 running Android 4.4.3 that was collecting dust just to see if it would work. After updating the Poweramp Player I had no difficulty in getting it to run. The sound was almost as great as on the Samsumg Galaxy Tab S2 tablet but the Poweramp update did not have the Hi-Res output selection. Only the OpenSL ES output possible because of the older Android version I was using on the HTC One (M7). I have been so happily surprised by not only the sound but also the company that I am planning on purchasing new FiiO X5 (Gen.3) Hi-Res Player when availible. From everything I have read on FiiO and their products, including the new X5 Lossless Hi-Res Player, I believe I will be doing business with them for many years to come.
it needs android 6 for the hires output to work.
Android is becoming great for USB audio

Enviado do meu A0001 através de Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #124 of 136

So then it should work fine on a HTC 10?

What about on a iPod Touch 6G?

It also works on windows right?

Dear Jimster480,

You can find the model which is supported by the E18 from:

You may try in the local store to see whether the E18 can be compatible with the model you mentioned.

And yes it can work in the computer.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #125 of 136
  Dear Jimster480,

You can find the model which is supported by the E18 from:

You may try in the local store to see whether the E18 can be compatible with the model you mentioned.

And yes it can work in the computer.

Best regards

No Local stores carry FiiO Products as far as I have seen. Only Amazon.

Do you happen to know if the E18 has the same problem as the K1 with the screen never sleeping?

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #126 of 136
I also used my FiiO E18 DAC/Amp on my Window's system I built last year and I'm glad I live in a large house with no neighbors nearby as I could not help but to crank the volume because it sounded so beautiful. The sound in Stereo 24bit/96kHz was full bodied, precise, clear, deep warm bass with a little rumble depending on the song, soft smooth mids and clean tight highs. IYAI, The basic system was ASUS X99 PRO Motherboard, Intel i7 5930K Haswell-E CPU OC 4.10gHz, Swiftech H220 AIO Cooler, 16Gb DDR5 Quad Channel 2666mHz, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4K NVIDIA, Samsung 850 SSD 256GB x 4, WD Black Label 1TB SATA III Backup Drive, all running with fresh install of Windows 10 Professional with the FiiO E18 DAC/Amp attached to a USB 3.0 and then a line out to a Pioneer Receiver/Amp connected to two JBL Studio Monitor Speakers. If all that extra helps anyone!!
Shawn

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #127 of 136

No Local stores carry FiiO Products as far as I have seen. Only Amazon.

Do you happen to know if the E18 has the same problem as the K1 with the screen never sleeping?

I think what he means is that you can buy an E18 and try it with a bunch of different phones in a cell phone store. I did that when I upgraded phones to make sure the E18 would work.

The screen never sleeping thing depends on the version of android that you're running. It happened to me on my LG G4 all the time, but I was usually able to reset the software and it would stop happening as long as the devices stayed connected after that. I eventually went to a regular DAP because I was so tired of the OTG cables failing, getting lost, or just falling out of the jack all the time.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #128 of 136
  I think what he means is that you can buy an E18 and try it with a bunch of different phones in a cell phone store. I did that when I upgraded phones to make sure the E18 would work.

The screen never sleeping thing depends on the version of android that you're running. It happened to me on my LG G4 all the time, but I was usually able to reset the software and it would stop happening as long as the devices stayed connected after that. I eventually went to a regular DAP because I was so tired of the OTG cables failing, getting lost, or just falling out of the jack all the time.

Yes but I'm talking about the screensaver thing on PC. Because I am using my K1 mostly on my computers and its annoying that I cannot make the computer sleep or the screen turn off while its plugged in (more of an issue on a laptop).

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #129 of 136

Yes but I'm talking about the screensaver thing on PC. Because I am using my K1 mostly on my computers and its annoying that I cannot make the computer sleep or the screen turn off while its plugged in (more of an issue on a laptop).

Ah gotcha, never ever had an issue with an screen problems using my E18 as a USB DAC. Functions normally like any other DAC.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #130 of 136
  Ah gotcha, never ever had an issue with an screen problems using my E18 as a USB DAC. Functions normally like any other DAC.

Nice to hear, yea the K1 keeps your screen on all the time. In the K1 thread others have reported it but there is no fix for it that anyone has posted.

i haven't tried to play around with it but generally there aren't many options anyway.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #131 of 136
Whenever I am listening to music I usually turn the screen off on to save the battery's run time and then use the E18's control buttons on the side. Never had any problems with the screen saver on any of my devices.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #132 of 136
Whenever I am listening to music I usually turn the screen off on to save the battery's run time and then use the E18's control buttons on the side. Never had any problems with the screen saver on any of my devices.

Are you referring to your computer? Because I'm not talking about mobile devices. This problem that exists with the K1 specifically only affects computers and maybe only Windows computers as I have not tried on another operating system.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #133 of 136
I am talking mainly about my mobile devices but also my Windows 10 System when just listening to music, I turn off the monitor and still use the E18 player control buttons when using Windows Media Player. Sorry for the confusion!!

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #135 of 136
Anyone know if this will work on the Honor 8 phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back